Advice sought on choosing a touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jimstar79

Advice sought on choosing a touring bike

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hi guys n girls,

I hope it's OK to post this here - I'm sure that there are quite a few threads of this kind already.

I am currently looking at getting a new touring bike and have hit upon three bikes that differ quite a lot on price, yet all receive brilliant reviews.

First up, we have the Revolution Country Explorer (14.3kg):

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-explorer-15

A sound looking bike with a decent frame and mechanical disk brakes. It's let down by the cheap STI's and deraileurs (to be expected at this price, I know). These will have to be sold and then upgraded. The STI's could be changed for Dura Ace bar end shifters for less than £50. Is this a plan that could work? Hmmm.
A very heavy bike at 14.3kg before additional luggage!

Next up, the Roux Etape 250 (13.8kg):

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Roux-Roux-Etape-250-2014-Touring-Bike_60729.htm

Also a very good looking bike, very similar in a way to the Country Explorer in many ways. Slightly better groupset - Sora STI's and deraileurs - and possibly better disk brakes, Tektro v BB5's?

And, finally, the Genesis Tour de Fer:

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/genesis-tour-de-fer-2015.html?nosto=nosto-product-page-1

I love the look of this bike - but am I really getting my money's worth (compared to the others) for £200-300 more? This bike comes with the Dura Ace bar end shifters, but Shimano Alivio mechs, which kind of put me off. Why would such a good bike come with such low grade deraileurs? I know it is still a sub-£1000 bike but still, they could have a bit more self-respect than using such gearing mechs. Or is that a moot point because of the price?

Wheelbase offer interest-free finance, meaning that I could give them a deposit and just pay the rest off in chunks that I will hardly notice.

It's one thing buying the bike but it still needs decking out with panniers, right. I am looking at the Avenir panniers that come in a lot cheaper than the Ortlieb's.

I know buying a touring bike should be seen as an investment; after all it is a bike that should be around for years and help one to travel freely for thousands of miles. I hate my car and am going to ditch it - it's like setting fire to money, and I should be prepared to get up an hour earlier, shouldn't I?!

I plan on starting with some fairly short camping tours around the Lakes and Scotland and once i feel like I know what I am doing I want to go away for weeks at a time, across Europe and potentially into Central Asia. Having the right bike is very important to me... ah hell, if I can't make my mind up I might just go on my single speed!! That's why I need you help!

Thanks in advance :)
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
pwa

Re: Advice sought on choosing a touring bike

Post by pwa »

Also have a look at Spa Cycles based in Harrogate. Their Reynolds 725 framed tourer is rated by some as the best you can get for under a grand.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

There's nothing wrong with Alivio. It shifts at least as well as Sora and enables much lower gears which you need on a tourer. The Tour de Fer is lighter than the others, with a better thought out geometry especially in the large and small sizes, and less sluggish handling. IMHO it's worth the premium over the Country Explorer and the Roux. But, AFAIK, it's not available currently and is delayed in delivery from Genesis to dealers? (Will check at work)

The Explorer beats the Roux easily. They have the same shifters - ST-3503 IS the new 9-speed dual paddle Sora. The mountain mech on the Revolution is better than the Sora and enables the lower gears. The difference in the claimed weight is just the weight of the pedals and reflectors. The Co-op weight the bikes on the warehouse scales exactly as they come with bell and everything on board. Other brands are less honest. There's no hiding that the Roux and the Country Explorer have very similar origins but the Revolution bike is much better value with much better thought out componentry.

Graham (Personal opinion here but I do manage the Leeds branch of Edinburgh Bicycle)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There are loads of 'touring' bikes available but often the manufacturers call them something else, certainly don't ignore stuff from Kona, Trek, Specialized, Whyte etc which are often described as all road, multi road or adventure bikes. Yes you will probably need to sort out guards and racks but you get to choose instead of being forced into often inferior stuff that the mfr's supply as standard kit.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Here's a discussion of several bikes in that price range, including a few that aren't on your list

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=94096
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Wow, great response from you all. Thank you!

pwa "Also have a look at Spa Cycles based in Harrogate."

I definitely will do!

Malaconotus/Graham - brilliant reply and thanks for pointing out these things. I'm moving from single speed and road bikes so please excuse my ignorance on such matters as the Aivio - as I walked up town before, I worried that I may have got my impression of the Alivio's wrong.

Your comment on the differences between the Roux and the Explorer sum up brilliantly the reason why I came here for some help/advice. I don't know enough about these things and your advice is greatly appreciated :) Both bikes managed to score 4 out of 5 on road.cc, yet I'll happily accept your opinion on the Revolution.

Foxyrider - you make a good point, and this is actually something I have spent a little bit of time on looking into - it get's a bit technical and complicated for me, working out if the geometry of the frame is right, is the frame going to be strong enough to bear up to four panniers, etc. You also hit the nail on the head about some manufacturers shipping bikes with inferior parts, although some do make an effort to at least put decent mudguards on - I don't know about racks, I read somewhere that Revolution state that their rear rack can only support 25kg, and they are required by law to say so (I think 25kg sounds like enough weight to me).

Vorpal - thanks for the link, I will go and have a read of it right now!

Any opinions on how good the Genesis Tour is for the price, as I live right near Wheelbase and could get one at any time?

cheers and happy weekend to you all!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I'm going to throw into the mix a Dawes Galaxy and Super Galaxy, currently being sold for silly prices here -

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/categ ... ring_Bikes

The frame is the key ingredient which essentially can not be changed once you have bought the bike. All the components will be changed over time.... Galaxies come with a nice 631 frame :D
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hey Chocojohn, thanks for the link. I can't believe they are selling the Super Galaxy for £799 with a saving of £700!

I know it says they are out of stock but they say they are available to order. I have never read a bad word about Dawes - in fact, I am going to contact them right now and find out if I can order one, can't get better than that for your money.
H. G. Wells quotes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jimstar79 wrote:Hey Chocojohn, thanks for the link. I can't believe they are selling the Super Galaxy for £799 with a saving of £700!

I know it says they are out of stock but they say they are available to order. I have never read a bad word about Dawes - in fact, I am going to contact them right now and find out if I can order one, can't get better than that for your money.

...providing you get on together.

If as you suggest you're going to be spending a lot of time together, then do try to ride in advance of ordering.

The "best" bike is the one that's most comfortable for you, especially as a touring bike. As others have said, equipment can be changed (well, almost always is changed :D )
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Not everyone gets on with Dawes bikes. They have longish top tubes, so people with shorter torsos or arms sometimes have trouble getting a good set up, especially in smaller sizes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Bonefishblues:

The "best" bike is the one that's most comfortable for you, especially as a touring bike. As others have said, equipment can be changed (well, almost always is changed :D )

So true. Being a former courier, I have experience riding three totally different bikes: a 54cm MTB with 26" wheels; a 56cm road bike, and a 58cm single-speed (which took the longest to get used to, but was a dream by the time I quit!). All sizing guides recommend the 58cm touring bike for someone my height and the Dawes certainly looks a good shape for the style I like to ride. Saying that, it looks like there is also room on the stem of the Dawes SG to adjust the headset should the drop-bars be too low, which could accomodate a higher position.

Vorpal - I don't think that problem will trouble me. I am about 182cm tall.

In a way I would like to find a bike that I will be happy with for many years to come so looking into your suggestion makes total sense. I should try and get up to Wheelbase to atleast try the Genesis.
H. G. Wells quotes
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Before you go mail order I would advise a trip to Spa Cycles at Harrogate. They also sell discounted Dawes Galaxy as well as their excellent own Spa Tourer in all sizes. You can take one for a test ride before you make a decision. Spa are offering their steel framed tourer complete with Tubus rack (top quality) for £945 and you have a choice of parts. Before you ask, I have a Surly Disc Trucker as Spa's Tourer didn't come in my size when I bought
ossie

Post by ossie »

sounds good
Last edited by ossie on 12 Jul 2015, 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Not sure if any on your list are 26" wheels, but you might like to consider such - Its the only real way to effectively get low gears for going up hills with a load?
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

mercalia wrote:Not sure if any on your list are 26" wheels, but you might like to consider such - Its the only real way to effectively get low gears for going up hills with a load?

No, I don't think any of them are 26", that would be a real bonus if they were. There seems to be a lot of benefits to having 26" wheels so I am surprised that more mfr's don't actually (1) sell touring bikes already equipped with them (2) offer a choice of either wheel size (3) make a big point out of the fact that there bikes are 26" wheels because they are better for touring. [I don't know if any of that makes sense, I am half asleep!! So, please, tell me shut up just to be kind to me!!]

ossie wrote:my hand built 90's mtb tourer is 8 speed with an Alivio groupset...bomb proof.

Brilliant - now I wish I had never suggested that Alvio's were in some way an inferior product!!

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Before you go mail order I would advise a trip to Spa Cycles at Harrogate. They also sell discounted Dawes Galaxy as well as their excellent own Spa Tourer in all sizes. You can take one for a test ride before you make a decision. Spa are offering their steel framed tourer complete with Tubus rack (top quality) for £945 and you have a choice of parts. Before you ask, I have a Surly Disc Trucker as Spa's Tourer didn't come in my size when I bought

Unfortunately, I can't really get to Harrogate, I would if I could but it's too far and I have a lot of work on at the moment. Heard lots of good things about the Surly's.

Anyways, thanks for your tips and advice, I am finding it very helpful!

Night!
H. G. Wells quotes