Advice sought on choosing a touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jimstar79

Re: Advice sought on choosing a touring bike

Post by Jimstar79 »

Tangled Metal - yes, the Genesis Tour de Fer does look like a brilliant bike. I was first taken by that bike but have since looked at Dawes Super Galaxy and also Ridgeback Panorama, which are both more expensive unless you can find a good deal. I really like the look of the Panorama and missed out on getting a slightly upgraded, year old one on Ebay last night, which went for £746!

The guys in that LBS who have those Dawes sitting around in the warehouse should get on here and make us an offer!!

Stu57 - thanks for the links; both wonderful bikes. The Coast2Coast really looks like an amazing bike - it's just a bit pricey for me at the moment as I need to get all the panniers and other stuff to go with it. Maybe I will hold tight for a month or two and look for a drop in price <fingers crossed>.

Another dilemma I'm facing is sizing, some bike it works out that I'd be better off with a 58cm frame and others with a 56cm frame. I am waiting on Winstanleys Bikes to find out if they can still supply a 58cm frame Dawes Super Galaxy, priced at £799, but am worried that I might order a bike based on price and find out that it is slightly too big. I am 5'11'' - and actually think 58cm might be too big for a tourer - my single speed feels like quite a big bike and that's 58cm. Hmmm, more to ponder!

Off to work - Happy Monday folks!!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I suggest getting out and riding some of these bikes. It will help you understand fit in a touring bike (which you may find is a little different than what you are accustomed to), you may find one that you absolutely love, and it's fun, as well :)

To add to the braking thing... I've gone down some *really* steep hills with a loaded bike and not had any problems (with V or cantilever brakes). If it's all that bad, just take it slowly. If it's too steep for cars, then take it at a walking pace, or walk every other switchback. Any brakes can fade. Even braking systems that are relatively poor by modern standards can cope with descending on a loaded touring bike, if they are used within their capability.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What is a touring bike fit?

I am wondering because a touring bike is one option for my "one bike". I'm guessing it has a more upright feel to it like a hybrid based on an MTB. The weight is less on the arms and more on the seat/pedals (using your core muscles). I'm also thinking it is a longer wheelbase bike than other road bikes with longer chainstays and since it is likely to be a steel frame it could be a more open main triangle. I am tall so will need the biggest size of whatever bike make and model I choose so with the touring bike I am guessing it will look a really big frame due to the thinner steel tubes and more open main triangle (that is what my ancient steel road bike looks like, larger than it;s true frame size due to thin 501 tubing and large main triangle). I could be wrong.

For heavy loads 36 hole wheels, a triple with top chainring of 46 or 48 and bottom say 26 ish. Cassette is the classic 11-32. Mech disc brakes these days if closer to £1k budget or v-brakes at lower budgets. Steel throughout except at budget end where you might get Al frame and ChroMoly forks for comfort. Chainstay is 445cm typically and STA is 72 degrees. In the largest frame size (typically 60cm) a reach over 600cm I;m guessing is needed.

Sorry Jimstar79 if I have taken over with this question about what is a touring bike fit (and related summary of spec as I see it). Perhaps I should start own thread.

BTW I'm on the same bike journey as you are I suspect, a tourer but perhaps a tourer more capable of rough roads. Also in the NW England I think. I am hoping to take a trip to Spa cycles soon as I can get a pass out from family duties at the weekend. Although I am not impressed by their lack of reply to a website/email enquiry. I can only guess it failed to go through.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal

don't be put off by Spa Cycles' lack of urgency at answering e-mails. They are firmly in the last century in some ways. I usually find them better on the phone. But they are proper bike people, and they will want to sell you something that will work very well for you. And don't expect a normal bike shop if you visit them.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

No don't take my comments about Spa as negative, I suspected that they are a proper aladdin's cave of a LBS with a traditional approach to customers, i.e. face to face or through that new fangled thing called a telephone!! :wink: I nearly went back to remove my comment about them in case it was read as a negative. I honestly believe from what I have read that they are the retail version of an experience if you are a true fan of bicycles and especially touring. None of this cycle boutique just a small and committed staff (probably who grew up there or have been working there for decades) and a large stockholding of touring related bits built up over decades of trading. You have a 30 year old touring bike made by some guy in a bike shop called Bob or Fred with old fashioned kit they'll have the widget you need or can fix it for you. That sort of LBS.

Seriously intending to call them. I reckon they'll know how to sort out a tall lad with no idea of what he really needs all at a price point that would embarass you if you went to one of the boutiqu shops or a mainstream place.

BTW anyone know the best way there from Skipton side? Been through that way cutting down to Wetherby once as a passenger but never been to Harrogate from this side before.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Spa used to be more like that, but since moving they're more of a warehouse with a counter. That was a couple of years ago though, so may've changed again...

Just get to Skipton and follow the signs. I guess you'll be going across on the A65. All very easy, but quite a drag of a drive; got stuck behind a juggernaut in the snow yesterday going to Skipton, urgh. Navigation in Harrogate more hassle though, and worth checking on a map/gps.

FWIW I really can't 'get' Wheelbase. Overpriced and oversized for the level of stock. Ghyllside (Ambleside) and Keep Pedalling (Manchester) farrr better IMHO. Just dangerous to enter; usually can't do so without spending. If you're thinking about longer trips though, you can't beat these two shops.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My view on Ghyllside was it kind of catered for those who knew what they were about in touring. You know, the sorts of people who specify their own builds up, one step from a full custom made tourer that is. Every bike was too expensive for me (touring bikes that is) and it is too small to have much stock in. No way to test ride before buying but I assume most of their customers either know what they want or go with their advice if buying a cheaper/hybrid bike.

Although I have only been in there about 6 times over 10 years. They range from very helpful to I know you are going to buy from Evans so I will only be polite. A bit unfair perhaps. I will try and get there saturday and give them a real try out.

Manchester is one place too far for me (even though it possibly takes me less time to get there than Harrogate would). Harrogate is kind of only just out of the way to visiting family so there is some justification for going there. Ambleside is somewhere I end up passing every weekend it seems. There is a surly retailer in Lytham according to the Surley website but that Lytham shop tends to stock those Dutch style trikes with a box on the front (usually with kids sitting in it on the photos). That or e-bikes (glad they don't hop on the apple bandwagon and call electic bikes i-Bikes at least).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I get what you're saying about Ghyllside, and can agree it's probably so. Upstairs they've usually got some interesting bikes on display though.

Practical Cycles is the place in Lytham I guess you mean. I've not been as they talk about contacting them before going, and yes, they appear to mainly deal with cargo bikes and the like.

Lots of small and decent LBS' hidden around the area, but not with the sort of thing we're talking about though, unfortunately. Usually focussed on the more financially viable stuff of course; sporty, MTBs, commuters; but of course this is a general issue everywhere. Spa does sell good bikes, but it just doesn't look like an LBS any more.
nez

Post by nez »

mrjemm wrote:Spa used to be more like that, but since moving they're more of a warehouse with a counter. That was a couple of years ago though, so may've changed again...

Just get to Skipton and follow the signs. I guess you'll be going across on the A65. All very easy, but quite a drag of a drive; got stuck behind a juggernaut in the snow yesterday going to Skipton, urgh. Navigation in Harrogate more hassle though, and worth checking on a map/gps.

FWIW I really can't 'get' Wheelbase. Overpriced and oversized for the level of stock. Ghyllside (Ambleside) and Keep Pedalling (Manchester) farrr better IMHO. Just dangerous to enter; usually can't do so without spending. If you're thinking about longer trips though, you can't beat these two shops.

Snow. Yikes
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Wasn't settling on the road, but was on the hills along the road. Started clagging up on my screen below the wipers also. At least I didn't get it where I was (A65) anywhere like over at Kirkstone Pass and the Struggle. :(

http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2 ... t-in-snow/

Looked like it could've been if I just went off the main road a bit though. Was bad enough driving in it, would've been foolish to go that way without good reason. Made that mistake before...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seriously that road from Settle to Skipton past Cold Preston and other little settlements is a nightmare at the best of times if you are behind a large vehicle. It is a bendy road so most drivers only manage 50mph at most more like 40 but trucks will do as low as 25-30mph at times. Add in any snow, slush, rain or standing water (yes that road can flood at times) and you have a real nasty drive.

I often go to a place near Wetherby and drive time is between 1.5 hours and 2.5 hours depending on what I am behind on that stretch of road. It is seriously that bad. That is before weather factors come into play too (the 1 hour difference is based on good driving weather and is solely based on speed of traffic through that section of road). One autumn drive home in heavy rain in the dark once took me 3 hours. That was when flooding and detours meant it took me twice what a good quite day's drive would take.
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Guys,

I have found an ex-display 56cm Ridgeback Panorama 2014, for a brilliant price!!

However, here are the downsides:

Rust patched on top tube.
Chips to seat tube.
Chips to lacquer to lower downtube.
Scratch on left-hand chainstay.
Marks on cranks from use.
Been used as demo bike so will show signs of wear in usual places.
Will be cleaned thoroughly before sent.

EDIT: I am now the proud owner of a Ridgeback Panorama, for the bargain price of £649 - wow!!

Thanks so much for all your help, tips and advice on finding the right back. I believe I have chosen the right bike and will write back to let you know how it rides - yippeee!!
Last edited by Jimstar79 on 23 Feb 2015, 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I am 6 ft 1 and would go for a 60cm. You are slightly smaller so I'd expect you to be a 58cm or a 56cm but you really do need to sit on both. We all have our preferences. :D
As I mentioned the other day, with the winstanley link, I still think you are better off with a new - undamaged - Galaxy or Super Galaxy. The 53 is available in both. Don't be put off by the smaller sounding sizes, they have sloping top tubes. You need to sit on one of these too. There must be a dealer near to you...
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Thanks Chocjohn9 - I've gone for the 56cm ex-display Ridgeback. Winstanleys didn't have the 58cm any more and the 53 is, going from measurements, a bit small. I may be wrong and you might have made a great point that I received too late! I hope the 'damage' isn't too bad on it and is hopefully quite easily fixed up.

I spent most of half-term trying to work out which bike to buy and just decided to get the Panorama on impulse - I watched a second hand one go for £100 more on Ebay last night and didn't want to pass up the chance. If it really doesn't suit me then I could always pass it on - yet, from all the Panorama reviews and cycling blogs I have read, this might be the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship!!

What do you ride again?
H. G. Wells quotes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Nice bike I reckon. I've been following your progress since I have finally decided to get a tourer not a gravel bike. My budget was up to £800 but it looks like I could be be breaking that limit by £10 at Spa Cycles for a Ridgeback Expedition. I wanted 700c wheels but after calling Spa the guy said that 26" is probably better since I will end up riding easy trails. I am thinking of unsurfaced towpaths through to gravely tracks in the Lakes (e.g. the side of Windermere near High Wray down to ferry nab for example or one of the bridleways in the Peak district linking the high Peaks and Tissington cycle paths if you know them at all).

I was looking at the photos for a cinelli hobootleg and that one looks really nice but at £1170 is way beyond me right not. Love the two spare spokes on the chainstay held on by a special bracket. Columbus tubing which is probably Reynolds 725 equivalent. Neat touches like different coloured cable covers and other possibly unimportant touches. There is a black metal u shaped component hanging over the top of the headtube from the steerer that I don't know what it is. I think the ridgeback expedition has a chromed thing similar.

So far I am wondering if the Ridgeback expedition or voyage is my best choice or if I should splash out for the Spa tourer at £145 over budget. So far I am thinking of being strong and resisting overspend.

Let us know what your Ridgback rides like when you get it. I seriously need to know what you think of the brand and bike in general. For me this is a big spend to make and before pushing the button I need to know from people with a similar bike (although your's is the higher model i think you can give me an idea what the lower spec model is like. TBH I am still not 100% sure of the tourer since my main thing is going to be commuting and weekend road/easy off road rides with the family. Touring is an ideal later on (my partner will not have a tourer just a MTB hardtail to tour with).