Bikes on Belgian trains

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
alimck

Bikes on Belgian trains

Post by alimck »

On a forthcoming Belgian tour with friends I may need to take my bike on a train or trains if my knees play up. I've read the trains are bike-friendly, but are there any things I need to be aware of?
pal

Re: Bikes on Belgian trains

Post by pal »

Some trains have a bike carriage, which needs to be unlocked by the Guard (but -- as with some British trains -- it isn't always easy to attract the Guard's attention! In those circumstances, I've just headed for the closest empty-ish doorway and left the bike there -- no-one's ever objected to this). On some of the older rolling stock, there can be a fairly big step up from platform to train, so it's worth being prepared for this (esp. if you have heavy panniers on the bike). Routes in and out of Brussels can get crowded at rush hour, so it's worth avoiding those if possible (and there are some restrictions on which Brussels stations you can use at rush hour, in any case).

You need to buy a ticket for the bike: you can get either a single ticket (which costs 5 Euro, I think), or a day ticket. The ticket comes in two parts: tie one to the bike, and keep the other bit with you.

Overall, though, it's very easy to take a bike on a Belgian train: I've never had any problems (and have had some nice conversations with bike-loving Belgian railway employees!)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

A few years ago we had the problem of getting bikes out of a locked carriage on a Belgian train.
The guard was at the other end of the train and the doors were closing. I rang the emergency alarm. That got the guard along pretty quick.
She was OK about it and we got our bikes. I don't know what else I could have done.
martin113

Post by martin113 »

Does anyone know what time specifically the rush hour restrictions apply to?
mjr

Post by mjr »

There is no mention of any time restriction on http://www.belgianrail.be/en/travel-tic ... e-day.aspx but the website precautions page does encourage you to travel off-peak.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pal

Post by pal »

mjr is quite right (and my memory was faulty: apologies). No time restrictions -- but there is a permanent restriction on bikes at Brussels Central, Brussels Chapelle and Brussels Congrès (Brussels Midi and Nord are fine).
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

We managed to get off at Brussels central and the guard didn't say anything although there were quite a lot of steps to carry them up which is maybe why theres restrictions. Defo weren't allowed to get on there though, but midi is only a short ride away.