Cycling the Italian lakes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pedaling pensioner

Cycling the Italian lakes

Post by Pedaling pensioner »

My partner and I plan to cycle around lakes Garda and Iseo this summer. Looking at the large scale maps there are a number of tunnels on the lakeside roads. Some of these tunnels have cycle routes beside them, but some do not appear to have any alternative, apart from a long detour up into the mountains.

Please does anyone have any experience or advice as to how to overcome this problem?

Thanks

Robert
pwa

Re: Cycling the Italian lakes

Post by pwa »

I don't know those particular tunnels, so I hope others will be able to help. But having ridden through tunnels in the Alps I would recommend the obvious: the brightest rear lights you can put on your bike, combined with bright clothing.
Pedaling pensioner

Thanks for your good advice, but I know that one tunnel on the West side of lake Iseo is over over a mile long, with curves and a two lane road. I would hate to be committed to ride through,if it was busy.
honesty

Post by honesty »

The road running around the west side of the lake from Salo upwards is beautiful, full of tunnels, and last time I drove it, no alternatives and incredibly busy. The road is covered on one side by a cliff and the other by a wall for most of it. There is a good route through the hills above the lake on that side with some lovely views (one that goes through a natural cave which is frankly amazing). The east side I have driven far less but there is a road up/down Monte Baldo from Malcesine which is utterly fantastic. What time of year are you going as that will play a huge amount on how much traffic there is as will whether its the weekend or not.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Just to expand on the traffic further, August, specifically the first 2 weeks are silly busy. As lake Garda is used as a weekend retreat by the Italians from Milan and Brescia it gets really busy on Saturday and Sunday as well.

My family is from Moniga del Garda so can give a bit more detail on that area if you want it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Check http://www.piste-ciclabili.com/ for routes. If you zoom in on the map, then click on the little balloons, you can get details about routes. There is a forum associated with the site, so if you don't find what you are looking for, maybe you can ask on there

I haven't been on that particular road, but I have found that many Italian roads that are uncomfortably busy at some times of day are fine during others, so I expect that it is useable if you ask locals when to go. The other thing is, that during summer holiday time, the roads all around the lakes are generally quite busy. It's best to go, if you can before school lets out, or after it's back in session. It's a beautiful area. Enjoy your trip!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
honesty

Post by honesty »

Via Beneco down from Pieve - goes round a full 360 then through a natural cave.

I was going to dig out some photos but some guy videoed the whole thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru-UziQkhz8 - I'd suggest going down rather than up...
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I can't help with the tunnels, but I did cycle around the southern ends of Garda and Iseo in mid-August a couple of years ago - it's not something I'll be doing again any time soon! It would probably be fantastic out of the tourist season, but the traffic was really bad, especially around Garda.

The short cycle route between the SW corner of Garda and Brescia was very nice, on quiet country lanes: http://www.piste-ciclabili.com/itinerar ... 0Desenzano
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yeh. My choice of time of year would be early September. That's when we aim to go generally. Ive sat on the front of Salo and it's been empty and places were shutting up for the season! Otherwise June is very good, as is May but it can still be quite cold/wet in May.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Tunnels are an unfortunate reality. I take lightweight LED lights, front and rear. Sometimes see people cycling with no lights, which can be scary. I've just invested in slightly larger, rechargeable LED lights, but significantly brighter, and I would use these in future - some tunnels are unlit so you need to see ahead, not least to avoid holes or debris.

Two other observations: the noise of vehicles in tunnels is, I find, really unnerving or downright frightening, sounding like everything is driving really fast - actually, drivers are invariably considerate and careful. The other is, make sure your lights are easily accessible while riding and easy to turn on and off. The thought of being in tunnels is worse that the reality I find.

One place I would not go back to, however, is Monaco - seemed to be tunnels and roundabouts underneath the city, very busy, very fast, and very smoggy! We did cycle very fast and were relieved to get out. Either side of the place there were compensations with the views and beautiful surroundings so made it worthwhile.

Enjoy your trip.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Pedaling pensioner

To everyone that replied to my query,

Thank you all so much. I am sure that your advice will help us greatly. We will be in the area at the end of July, but will be able to avoid the weekend. The diversion through a natural cave sounds fascinating, I will get the maps out and determine how to access that route.

Thanks again

Robert