Pannier Security on Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Weimarunner

Re: Pannier Security on Tour

Post by Weimarunner »

I'm using these, they're great for stopping grab theft. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1767239706
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Weimarunner wrote:I'm using these, they're great for stopping grab theft. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1767239706

Good idea. Best yet. I'm anti-PayPal though. Wonder how I can get round this?...hc
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I'm anti-PayPal though. Wonder how I can get round this?
There's a phone number (and email) in the ad. Maybe they'll take a telephone order. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Its quite funny!

All those who normally tell you how easy it is to get their panniers off - just a simple tug, seem to have gone quiet.

Those who struggle with their fixing can look smug!

Assuming you carry a knife with you, a hidden or awkwardly placed zip tie could be a cheap alternative.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

*smirk* my vaude panniers come with those builtin so i just use ultra-mini padlocks to secure the panniers to the rack...
£6 for a piece of wire though...If youre interested at the same time I can do you a deal on fresh air. :mrgreen:
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Pannier security and theft? Solutions? Travel to a different destination? Saudi Arabia? Or Japan? Two countries which might not necessitate having to take anxiolytics whilst leaving your bike unattended! ????
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

If you close an Ortlieb pannier 'dry sack'-style (i.e. both ends buckled together, no shoulder strap), you can thread a cable through the fabric loops which the buckles are attached to, then through the rack and to the other pannier. If there's no real slack, the pannier can't be removed or opened unless the fabric or cable is cut (or the rack is unbolted).
Heltor Chasca

Pannier Security on Tour

Post by Heltor Chasca »

tyreon wrote:Pannier security and theft? Solutions? Travel to a different destination? Saudi Arabia? Or Japan? Two countries which might not necessitate having to take anxiolytics whilst leaving your bike unattended! ????

Anxiolytics is a good word. Had to look it up. I was in Japan in '89 for a World Sailing Champs. Amazing country. I would love to cycle around it. Dream on. Maybe I could do some 'English style' gardening and earn my way about...hc
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 20 Feb 2015, 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

edocaster wrote:If you close an Ortlieb pannier 'dry sack'-style (i.e. both ends buckled together, no shoulder strap), you can thread a cable through the fabric loops which the buckles are attached to, then through the rack and to the other pannier. If there's no real slack, the pannier can't be removed or opened unless the fabric or cable is cut (or the rack is unbolted).

Clever. Thanks. Might try this or bucking the left and right together and see what I can come up with...HC
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Ive never even thought about locking my panniers to the bike when im touring in Europe - most of the time I just try to make sure that everything remains in sight - supermarkets I lock the bike to something as close to the entrance as possible and just take anything valuable looking off the bike - camera GPS etc - and shop as quicky as I can - it helps a bit I think that my bike looks like it belongs to the raggle taggle gypsies - its not that obvious how anything comes off anyway - bigger supermarkets there is often a security guard near the entrance who will keep an eye on it - lots of the smaller supermarkest in Europe have big glass fronts so i lean it where I can see it as Im shopping

You have to a little bit fatalistic about it - careful but not paranoid

UK tho paranoia doesnt begin to describe me

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=Sh&page_id=153260&v=1Y