Hindu Temples - Prasadam

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DarkNewt

Hindu Temples - Prasadam

Post by DarkNewt »

I recently blogged about the Hindu/Sikh tradition of Prasadam. A couple I met running a train station coffe shop suggested that should i be cycling anywhere near a temple that they would feed me through a tradition called Prasadam. They also said that should I need assistance and if able they would help and that they welcome all even those not of the hindu religion.

I have visited temples during my school years and with my best friends mother so I think this would be a great idea for my next tour in July, a circumnavigation of the entire UK and Irish coast. I would like to visit some other religious buildings on the way - I have always found churches to be calming and a cool respite from the sun so looking forward to meeting other denominations and experiening them.

any ideas? thoughts, anyone recommed a temple etc.. on the uk or irish coast that would like me to visit?

Original blog post: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7854928671260184728#editor/target=post;postID=2437634602810741389;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Vorpal

Re: Hindu Temples - Prasadam

Post by Vorpal »

You kow about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hi ... ed_Kingdom

and http://allhindutemples.com/

:?:

It sounds like a fun idea. Hare Krishnas follow a similar tradition, and even have some youth hostel kind of arrangements, like http://bhakticentre.org/ You can check http://iskconuk.com/ or contact them directly. They also have a manor house somewhere that the Beatles gave them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I will look up those links! thankyou
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
meic

Post by meic »

I live very near to this place. Which is in that list but technically claims to be a temple of all gods and interjects a token bit from all the other major faiths during the Puja.

http://www.skandavale.org/the-pilgrims-guide/

I have deliberately linked to their pilgrims' advice page as when I first went I was very self-conscious about being a heathen in a religious ceremony and not knowing how to behave, I was even unsure as to whether I should or should not be wearing a leather belt.

We went fairly frequently to sit through the Puja, which is quite an experience when you are new to it, and to partake of the delicious food afterwards.

This temple does have its own elephant (Valli) who blessed my daughter with a kiss shortly after she was born and was in the national news years ago for its resistance to the culling of its sacred bull during foot and mouth.

I always feel there is a fine path between being a proper temple goer and a tourist, which I try and keep on. Quite a few monks recognised us as locals and would welcome us. I do think that the fact that we turned up on cycles instead of cars made us appear less like day trippers.

Skanda Vale is an ashram, not a tourist destination. If you would like to visit, then you should come as a pilgrim, not a sightseer.
Yma o Hyd
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

This looks a worthwhile place to visit, my only reservation is around not being a pilgrim, I will contact them regarding this as my reason for visiting would be to understand their beliefs more closely and for the experience. If that is apropriate to them I will soon find out!
meic

Post by meic »

I havent looked at your blog because Google want some sort of account.

There is very much an open door at Skanda Vale, you can walk around the grounds and some temples and attend the Pujas and meal without being asked to justify your presence in my experience. Though may be I passed such a test without noticing just by saying I am local, though I can not remember if we spoken to by the monks at all.

You would probably feel a bit out of place, it is quite easy to tell the monks who are white Europeans in the appropriate attire and the Pilgrims who are Indian-British and turn up in people carriers from London and Birmingham. Most of the pilgrims are new to the place and very easy to approach and speak to as they are strangers there too. They do not strike you as "pilgrims" either just ordinary families and with little sign of religious fervor and more like day trippers and I think that the comments on the website are really aimed at them rather than other visitors.

Skanda Vale is quite remote and they do not have a problem with uninvited guests and it is so large that visitors are not in the way at all.

If they refuse you permission then I would assume that is only for overnight accommodation and if you really want to visit the place then you are welcome to stay here overnight, if we are around. It is five miles by bike as the roads go a long way around.
They may politely suggest that you visit on the open day in August but that is more of a festival and the peace and tranquility that defines the place has a holiday that day.
Yma o Hyd