Panniers as airline baggage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Panniers as airline baggage

Post by foxyrider »

jim_wks wrote:I've just a black bin liner with lots of sticky tape in the past

not recommended but most airports you can get bags cling filmed which might work?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

foxyrider wrote:
jim_wks wrote:I've just a black bin liner with lots of sticky tape in the past

not recommended but most airports you can get bags cling filmed which might work?

It's probably cheaper to buy a suitcase at a charity shop and give it away at your destination, then repeat for the return journey.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bag wrapping at airports is relatively expensive. It could easily be a tenner.

You can buy industrial strength bagwrap and do it yourself much cheaper. I once clingfimed my bike with kitchen grade stuff. It didn't last long, but satisfied the airline at check in.

I NEVER use black bags for anything but rubbish because they can be mistaken for rubbish. Also I agree that in this case not strong enough. Rubble sacks OK, nonetheless the reusable bags from poundshop sound the biz as long as big enough and tough enough. Check the flimsy zip and maybe get a wrap around strap.

Don't worry the packing will be a doddle compared to those hills!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

kuba wrote:I had a problem with plastic bags in the past, as they rip fairly easily, and you may lose bits in transport. Especially if you factor in transit between flights. It would have to be one hell of a bin liner not to rip with 40 kg in it!

Not sure if you clicked on the eBay link above but a zipped bag that will hold it all and serve you a lifetime is £1.99 there, well worth the money. Or try Pundland, I got mine there. And once you land in Bishkek with it, you'll look like a local!

Yes. Thanks. I did look.
I just wondered if the handles would be up to the weight?
I can see the bag holding linen type stuff but maybe not all my gear plus tent?
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
kuba

Post by kuba »

The handles and zip are the weakest parts, that's true. I normally tie the handles together, so the bag has to be handled like a parcel, and zip carefully - no problems. The fabric is like an Ikea bag, pretty indestructible. But on reflection I'd rather buy from Poundland thea eBay to check if the zip, handles etc. are strong enough.