Ilfracombe to Exmouth - any route suggestions?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Ilfracombe to Exmouth - any route suggestions?

Post by mnichols »

I'm planning on doing a Devon Coast to Coast route as part of a short tour in May

I will be starting the Day in Ilfracombe and probably finishing in Exmouth, or somewhere along that coast

I'll probably start with the official Coast to Coast route as far as Barnstable, and maybe even as far as Okehampton as I would like the day to be around 100 miles and see some of (or the best of Dartmoor), but I would like to finish in Exeter, Exmouth, or somewhere further east along that coast

I don't mind if it's a little further than 100 miles, and hills are good - it's a training ride

Does anyone have any route suggestions, tips, do's and don'ts, or accomodation suggestions for 4 cyclists (B&B's or cheap hotels rather than camping)?
CBreeze

Re: Ilfracombe to Exmouth - any route suggestions?

Post by CBreeze »

http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=10&lat=50.82367&lon=-3.50808&layers=B0000

Using above link it could work to follow route 27 down to Okehamton then route 28 to Bovey Tracy then from there across to Dawlish from where you can follow a leisurely (flat) section of Route 2 around the Exe estuary to Exmouth.

Last year I followed the coast around the South West so cycled 28 from where route 3 joins at Sheepwash to Barnstaple which is mostly an old railway - a fair chunk of it unsealed not that that would be an issue on anything other than a maybe racing bike. I can't comment on route 28 as I have never cycled it but it is a pre-planned route that goes in the right direction! I did however ride this unmarked section from Bovey Tracey to Dawlish (going the other way) and succeeded in avoiding major/dodgy roads:http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6971962 If you want to emphasise the training part you can continue from Exmouth to Axmouth along route 2 - some gradients on that section definitely got my heart rate going with a loaded bike but is a nice stretch of coast. I was camping so can offer no advice on accommodation unfortunately.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know much about Sustrans routes, but I do know the roads.
If it were me, I'd go via A361 into Barnstaple then follow the A377 to Exeter. I've ridden most of that road on a few occasions and it's easy going and simple. I'd aim for Exeter city centre, and get on the A3015 (Topsham Rd) into Topsham and join the A376 for Exmouth.

You would like to see Dartmoor?
So instead, make your way over to the A386 from the Barnstaple area and go down through Hatherleigh to Okehampton.
The problem you have from Okehampton, it that there are no roads over Dartmoor from there, so maybe keep on the A386 to Tavistock. You could join the Granite Way from Okehampton to Lydford instead of using the road. Fun, but not good IMHO.

Tavistock is the first place on the west of the moor that there's a road across so you have to get there.

Go up Pork Hill (steep) up to Princetown from Tavy on the B3357 and head right over the top through Moretonhampstead and thence to Exeter.

Hope that helps.
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

As a slight variation to CBreeze's suggestion, Devon C2C (i.e. NCN 27) to Okehampton, and then there's a newly signposted NCN route (279) following the old A30 to Exeter. That comes out at 80 miles, but you won't be able to achieve head-down speeds on the off-road sections of the Devon C2C anyway. Roughly along these lines: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10511
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So its not a day ride :)
Typed last night but closed the window before posting :?

Out of Ilfracombe
Quite lane ride to Braunton (part cycle path easy)
Along to Barnstaple
Over new bridge and immediate right turn on bridge onto Tarka Trail...........or not :?:
Tarka trail is rough nearer Meeth but you could leave when you hit the bad stuff and join road.
http://www.devon.gov.uk/tarkatrail
http://www.oceanbackpackers.co.uk/cycli ... devon.html
tarka_map[1].gif
tarka_map[1].gif (15.5 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

At end short easy ride into Oakhampton (nice town), Get some grub at railway station (uphill)
Then proceed along The Granite Trail (really smooth)
To Lydford Gorge
On to Brentor
If inclined go through Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy (pubs) and on to Godsworthy Farms where old snapping sheep dogs will speed you up :lol:
But miss out on Tavistock, you will need a MTB but I have seen roadies here, comes out On Pork Hill not the bottom :)
Drop down to Tavistock past at least a dozen pubs (main road) fast and all down hill, views of the Tors.
Tavistock is a nice town plenty to eat and drink with area's for slouching .
On and up Pork Hill, (50 MPH down) buy an Ice Cream and fly your kite :) Past many Tors to Merrivale quarry (spot Vixen Tor the old Witch) and more pubs :)
Gird Up Your Loins for a final push past Gt Mis Tor on to Princetown, even more pubs :) Bunk house at Fox Tor Café.
On to Two Bridges (pub) and on up to Powder Mills Farm (cream teas)
On again past more tors to Postbridge and Clapper Bridge, pubs :?
Then take a breath and up second 50 MPH hill (down) then at top rest at the Warren House Inn, pub :D
A short way on your right is Grimspound Very large hut circle enclosure.
Back on track and it hold onto you hats into Mortenhampstead. Take another Ice Cream if you care.
At Mortenhampstead rest a while in another drink in another pub :(
Then on and up to top of six mile hill and small right to Blackingstone Rocks.
Down six mile hill to Dunsford (past many but never been there, must be more pubs)
Climb a short way to top of long down hill and fly into Exeter.
Make your way to the quays and rest again even feed the Swanns. Gently ride the cycle path all the way to Exmouth past Lympstone where a Mecca of outdoor eats and drinks awaits.

Good luck.

You could go further from Tavistock through Whitchurch, easier ride and come out south of Princetown at Yelverton and Burrator Reservoir then back to Princetown.
And at Two Bridges continue east to Dartmeet hill Widecombe Hill Haytor and drop off to Bovey tracy then use route posted by "Cbreeze"
All the hills have been used by TOB in the past.

A361 is a definite NO NO it a fast Dual carriageway and Bloody dangerous :!: I.M.H.O.

Edited Braunton not saunton
Edited again - Moor Grammar :lol:
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 12 Feb 2015, 2:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:A361 is a definite NO NO it a fast Dual carriageway and Bloody dangerous :!: I.M.H.O.
No it's not, and no it's not.
I'm saying Ilfracombe to Barnstaple, not anywhere else.

Well, it may be dual carriageway just as you enter Barnstaple, but that's all.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:A361 is a definite NO NO it a fast Dual carriageway and Bloody dangerous :!: I.M.H.O.
No it's not, and no it's not.
I'm saying Ilfracombe to Barnstaple, not anywhere else.

Well, it may be dual carriageway just as you enter Barnstaple, but that's all.

Sorry................A361 runs all over the country :?
You know what I meant, Barnstaple to Exeter.......don't even go there..I rode Ilfracombe to Torquay starting at 17.30 through the night with wind and rain :(
Never again....
Even in the day its a race track and the verge is strewn with bits of truck, nails old tyres etc. bottles you name it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Rode the Devon C2C Barnstaple to Plymouth two years ago on the standard route.
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... 3237222113

Stayed in Okehampton at the Goods Shed YHA. If you stay here buy your food in Okehampton before climbing the hill to the YHA.

If you want to see more of Dartmoor and go to Exeter when you get to Tavistock head for Princetown and then Mortenhampstead. Then down the A382 (don't be put off by the A it's great road and mainly down hill from here) to Bovey Tracey, then B3344 to Chudleigh Knighton and up the Teign Valley B3193. Right on to the B3212 over Longdown and this takes you into the middle of Exeter. This last bit is a popular local club run route.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Big Thank You to everyone that has taken the time to write down the route. I will take note of all the advice.

I'll map these out on ridewithgps at the weekend

Just to clarify, it's a 3 day kit test for a longer tour and a chance for a group of us that will be cycling together for a month to ride together for the first time since September

Day 1: Bath to Ilfracombe
Day 2: Ilfracombe to Exmouth
Day 3: Exmouth to Bath

Thanks

Martin