Recommendations for UK trip with children in trailer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
forwardroll

Recommendations for UK trip with children in trailer

Post by forwardroll »

Hi there
I'm planning on taking my two children in a Burley trailer for a few days trip away in the spring & in the UK. We will be staying in B&B's & not planning on clocking up many miles a day. Can anyone recommend a route to take that will be quiet roads & terrain suitable for trailer? Many thanks in advance
honesty

Re: Recommendations for UK trip with children in trailer

Post by honesty »

Depends where you are thinking of heading, but certainly I saw a few people doing this on the Tarka trail in Devon. One couple I met went from Barnstaple to stay at Yarde Orchard and then back in a weekend. Norfolk may be a good shout, but I don't have any experience of cycling there.
clanton

Post by clanton »

We did a big loop based on the Viking Trail in Kent which was good and fairly easy.

The Isle of Wight is also excellent - one or two big climbs though but if you aren't camping you should be fine.

We also did a loop through Yorkshire based loosely on the Moor to Sea routes which was beautiful but very, very tough with a trailer, child and camping gear - for us anyway.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Tissington, High Peak and Manifold Valley trails?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'll second the suggestion for Norfolk (and include the Thetford Forest area), but add that very many places in the UK have quiet rural roads that are suitable for child trailers. I've had mine on many lanes in Suffolk and Essex. An advantage of places like Suffolk and Norfolk (Kent, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire...) is that they have towns and villages that are frequent enough for stops, tea rooms, playgrounds, etc., not too many hills, a choice of camping or B&Bs, and things to do that may interest young children. Avoid the main roads in Norfolk. The A roads along the Norfolk coast, and the A149, in particular, can be uncomfortably busy on summer weekends, especially during peak holiday times. I would advise doing the coast on weekdays, if possible, and going inland a little, or sticking to B and unclassified roads during the weekends.

Another alternative might the New Forest area?

Do you want to visit zoos and wild life parks? Or the seaside? Take miniature train rides?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
forwardroll

Post by forwardroll »

Thank you for your replies; some great suggestions. I'm based in Bromsgrove so Norfolk is a fair trek for me but somewhere i'd like to go. I think I'm going to head down to Devon.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Whether you like or loathe Sustrans, their routes can be ideal for short distance touring with kids.

The off road routes especially have lots of sculptures, interactive and with tactile which will keep the kids amused

All you have to do is choose the route
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Except that most off road routes are difficult or impossible with a trailer. Tarka Trail is one of the few that has reasonable barriers. But a group of all-ability cyclists worked very hard to get access for users with wider equipment and?or difficulties maneuvering it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
forwardroll

Post by forwardroll »

Can anyone please tell me the 'best' parts of the tarka trail to cycle on with trailer? Also any places to stay that anyone can recommend too? thanks in advance
honesty

Post by honesty »

The bit from Barnstaple to Bideford is flat, well tarmaced and has only a few gates. The bit from Bideford round to Torrington is also well tarmaced and again only has a few gates. The bit from Torrington up to East Yarde does climb and towards the end can get quite muddy, but is actually in my view the prettiest bit (with the middle bit following up in second). Also at East Yarde you have Yarde Orchard, which is a really nice place to eat and stay. The bunk house can be books for exclusive use, or I think there is a family room you can book. Either way its dirt cheap,or they have yurts which are cool. The food is lovely there as well.
Last edited by honesty on 10 Feb 2015, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanH

Post by IanH »

If it's just a short visit I'd recommend the Tarka Trail between Braunton and Great Torrington via Barnstaple. This is easy off-road cycling with plenty of stops and child-friendly diversions. I can't suggest any particular accommodation but there are many hotels, guest houses and camp sites. You're at the seaside or beside the river with great views.