Cycle Touring Festival - May 2015 - Lancashire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mike chadwick

Re: Cycle Touring Festival - May 2015 - Lancashire

Post by mike chadwick »

I also went to the cycle touring festival last weekend and have to say it was probably the best event of its type I have ever been to .
The festival was extremely well organised and in my opinion all the speakers where excellent . All the people who attend were friendly and chatty which made for a great weekend in pleasant surroundings with excellent catering. Well worth the £65.00 fee , roll on next year .
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

DarkNewt wrote:
thayer19 wrote:Just wondering how the festival went? Didn't get a ticket myself but was tempted to, be interesting to hear people's views on it.....

It was a great event, friendly and informative. There was no "hard sell" as some detractors claimed would be, it was really all about the cycling and meeting other/prospective tourers. A wide variety of bikes, tandem, recumbant etc.. All ages, seriously from the young to the "wish I was as fit as you now let alone in your 70+" some people had travelled from abroad, one lady cycled from Ireland to get there. The talks were great, I didn't go to a lot of the talks as I picked out the ones I was interested in but feedback from everyone else that they really enjoyed it!

The surroundings were great, even the cement factory chimney in the distance seemed kind of right, beautiful river/weir with it's resident heron. Plenty of facilities and the staff at the Hall were really helpful and welcoming!

Thanks to Laura, her husband and the rest of the volunteers for a great weekend, their effort was really apreciated!

I have had a busy week at work, but I will be putting a full write up of the event on my blog at the weekend.

Looking forward to your blog DN. I thought you would enjoy it [emoji6]...b
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Put a write up on my blog, more to add but hope you enjoy! It's late and I am cycling with roger at 8:30!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

DarkNewt wrote:Put a write up on my blog, more to add but hope you enjoy! It's late and I am cycling with roger at 8:30!

Did you get to meet "what's his face" (forgot his name) who cycled around the UK ?

He is off to Europe after the festival, cycled straight to the airport from their.

Dave
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

theDaveB wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:Put a write up on my blog, more to add but hope you enjoy! It's late and I am cycling with roger at 8:30!

Did you get to meet "what's his face" (forgot his name) who cycled around the UK ?

He is off to Europe after the festival, cycled straight to the airport from their.

Dave

Hiya Dave,

He was there but I didn't spot him and he wasn't on the speaker list as far as I could see (I only went to certain talks), I would have liked to have a chat with him; I am leaving on my own ride round Britain & Ireland soon, counting down the weeks only 7 left... I met a few of the speakers, Anna Hughes was really friendly, Scott Whitlock (crazy enthusiastic guy).
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi, just to echo the other positive comments about the festival. Here's a blog about it - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/cycle-t ... ival-2015/
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Would confirm the earlier comments,great weekend!
Lots of interest & good to meet so many others with simliar ideas & enthusiasm.
Would certainly stand a repeat sometime.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I was getting off the train at Blackburn on the Sunday afternoon, coming back from Hebden Bridge where I'd been to see the Tour de Yorkshire go through, and there was a couple getting on the train with a loaded tandem there. I wondered if they had been to this.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jags

Post by jags »

well im glad to hear is was a great event, on the run up to this everyone was moaning about the price and by all accounts it was going to be a complete disaster.
it would have cost me a lot to travel over from ireland but readng all the comments it was well worth the cost .
ah well maybe next year :wink:
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

jags wrote:well im glad to hear is was a great event, on the run up to this everyone was moaning about the price and by all accounts it was going to be a complete disaster.
it would have cost me a lot to travel over from ireland but readng all the comments it was well worth the cost .
ah well maybe next year :wink:

I will be there next year, there's always people ready to take cheap shots and there were a few here, I notice they are now silent and don't even have the decency to apologise for the rude, negative comments. On the bright side they weren't there!