Combined Tool/Repair Kit & First Aid Kit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Combined Tool/Repair Kit & First Aid Kit

Post by foxyrider »

IanW wrote:
Apart from a SAK, I am not a fan of multi-tools simply because they are heavy, cumbersome to use
and often include at least some tools that you don't or won't ever need / use
or the tools that you might use are of compromised quality.

I got a bit anal a couple of years ago, weighing tools, buying all sorts of stuff most of which was not up to much! The tools i take now are the result of combining two multi tools (after weighing everything down to the washers!) So whilst at first glance the multi (2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, x, - and chain tool with integrated spoke keys) looks to be a Lezyne but its mostly Specialized! Oh and it weighs in at 89 grams. No carbon, stainless hex keys!

The Leatherman Squirt supplies pliers, a blade, bottle opener, scissors (useful if sewing!) and a wider flat blade screwdriver and adds just 56 more grams.

Size wise we are talking 5cm x 1cm x 1cm for the Squirt and 5cm x 3cm x 1cm for the multi tool so not exactly huge!
:D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Heltor Chasca

Combined Tool/Repair Kit & First Aid Kit

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've had a chance to do some essential (or is that non-essential?) culling. My 1st Aid kit and tool kit now weighs in at 1.8kg. Pretty happy I've got everything I need for a day trip to at least 2 weeks. Thinking about adding one more inner-tube. I've got 1 and a patch kit so I think I'm ok...hc
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Interesting thread. I hope no-one minds if I revive it.

IanW wrote:+1 for the Victorinox bit wrench, but I personally would not swap it for the more convenient, but more fangled Ratchet Rocket.
The latter is a great while-at-home workshop tool, but for emergency road-side use I prefer something without the complexity of a ratchet mechanism.

Is there much difference in weight between the Victorinox Bitwrench and the Topeak Ratchet Rocket? For that matter, do you know how much the Bitwrench weighs, preferably the wrench on its own, the wrench with empty bit-holder, and the whole caboodle? I was unable to find weights on the Victorinox website or elsewhere.

Normally I don’t care about a few grams here and there, but that thinking has given me a basic toolkit that weighs nearly 1.5 kg, mostly because they’re the same tools I use at home. I’m trying to get this down a bit (hence my interest in this thread).
IanW

Post by IanW »

Samuel D wrote:Interesting thread. I hope no-one minds if I revive it.

IanW wrote:+1 for the Victorinox bit wrench, but I personally would not swap it for the more convenient, but more fangled Ratchet Rocket.
The latter is a great while-at-home workshop tool, but for emergency road-side use I prefer something without the complexity of a ratchet mechanism.

Is there much difference in weight between the Victorinox Bitwrench and the Topeak Ratchet Rocket? For that matter, do you know how much the Bitwrench weighs, preferably the wrench on its own, the wrench with empty bit-holder, and the whole caboodle? I was unable to find weights on the Victorinox website or elsewhere.

Normally I don’t care about a few grams here and there, but that thinking has given me a basic toolkit that weighs nearly 1.5 kg, mostly because they’re the same tools I use at home. I’m trying to get this down a bit (hence my interest in this thread).

Bitwrench = 38gm
Bitwrench = 38gm

Bitwrench + (empty) bit holder = 47gm

Bitwrench + holder + Hex 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, PZ1, T20 and T25 bits = 98gm

Minimal toolkit = 305gm
Minimal toolkit = 305gm

This (minimal) toolkit goes on every bike journey but is not left on/with the unattended bike.
It includes a pair of "Terry" steel tyre levers an 8mm x 10mm open-ended spanner and a 14mm x 15mm oe spanner.
This allows me to tackle many (but not) all routine problems on my bike in particular and on quite a few other people's bikes.

But I also carry a spare inner-tube, pump, tube patch kit and another pair of plastic tyre levers on the bike that is left on/with the bike.

Then there is the "monster" expedition toolkit that does indeed weigh in at more than 1.5KG
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thanks for going to the bother of weighing that for me. Appreciated!
mjr

Post by mjr »

nmnm wrote:I'd leave the leatherman and adjustable wrench too, can't see many uses for them (my pedals come off w an allen key).

My 6" adjustable wrench is worth its weight in gold. I've even opened gates bolted shut by grumpy neighbours who are trying to stop people cycling past their land legally. It'll take a bolted wheel off and put it on again, after a fashion :lol: or sort out pedals or help adjust some types of bottom bracket.
Was there a multitool in there? That's heavier than three or 4 allen keys and a chain tool, normally.

What norm's that then? The CPR-9 is lighter than three or 4 allen keys, but check it reaches everything on the bike and take individual keys if not.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.