Santander to Biarritz

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Roll-on

Santander to Biarritz

Post by Roll-on »

Hello happy cyclists, (or buenos dias ciclistas felices),
I'm planning to cycle from Santander to Biarritz in May (ferry Plymouth to Santander and SNCF train / Eurostar return from Biarritz / Paris). I've mapped out a coastal route for most of the way and it takes in Bilbao and San Sebastian. Nothing wildly strenuous. Most of the journey fits onto one Michelin map at 1:250000 (1cm to 2.5kn) which is not really much use for cycling.
I have a Garmin eTRex 20 and bike bracket but have never successfully used it on a bike and the screen is quite small. I have downloaded BaseCamp and have an account with Google Maps but have not yet successfully downloaded routes / maps and am apprehensive about the process, which seems unlikely to be as user-friendly as it's supposed to be.
The purpose of this post is to ask what navigational tricks other touring bikers have up their sleeves. For example do you use a mobile phone (with some battery back up perhaps) and sat-nav your way around whilst abroad and if so do use use any particular software and is it expensive to use a mobile phone in this way whilst abroad? Or do you keep it simple and get detailed maps?
I did 1,000km of the Velodyssey last year and only used detailed maps 1:100000 which were brilliant, but having them (several) in a plastic map case around my neck was a pain as the strap tried to strangle me in strong winds and wind.
Any good ideas and hot tips from other tourers out there?
Best wishes,
Paul
tatanab

Re: Santander to Biarritz

Post by tatanab »

Maps every time for me. The Spanish part of your trip is covered by sheets 143/144 of Michelin Zoom at 1cm to 1.5km http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Countries/Fr ... 000734.htm Maps live on the top of a handlebar bag so it can be seen.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I totally agree with the above.
Last year rode from Toulouse to Nice. I navigated from the airport to the train station using a written guide I found on the internet. From there Mrs Whoof had a route programmed inot her new Garmin GPS. We set off had gone 10 metres and as she was about to turn right as instructed I had to shout stop as she was turning into three lanes of oncoming traffic. After 20 minutes of riding around a square waiting for the GPS to sort itself out or trying to set a new start
point. I got the map out and we set off and used maps for the next two weeks. I find the GPS is good if you (or someone else ) has ridden a route before and want to repeat it but not so good on setting up a new route. I find maps also have a lot more scope for making changes if the need arises due to the weather/places of interest/tireness etc.

I use maps in a bar bag. Please see link (not recommending this bar-bag in fact never even heard of it only shown for illistration purposes).
http://oureverydayadventures.com/wp-con ... sleeve.jpg
Roll-on

Post by Roll-on »

Thanks for those messages tatanab and whoof. Your opinions support mine, so I'll stay with the maps and rig up a handle-bar mount this time.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Agree with using maps and in fact I've done part of your ride t'other way. Rode from Biarritz to Bilbao as part of a ride all the way down from St Malo. Can't remember that much that's useful but went through both Guernica (actually Gernika-Lumo on the maps) and San Sebastian. Why can't you just slip the map you are using in your cycle jersey pocket? Apart from getting out of towns you generally don't have to look at a map too often. Only problem can be the map getting a bit sweaty but it's a patina of pride!!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

This route both ways has been covered many times on this forum. Here is the link to the last time: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92987

Often the subject of costal tunnels between San Sebastian and Biarritz arises. There are costal routes avoiding these you just have to follow you maps and not GPS.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mr mchenry

Post by mr mchenry »

If you are using a phone, - as primary or backup to maps, then 3 will be including Spain in their 'Feel at Home' package from April, so whatever your allowance is in the UK, it will be available in Feel at Home countries. - If your phone's unlocked you could get a rolling 1 month contract quite cheaply.
ClaytonGrove

Post by ClaytonGrove »

Just follow the coast road, not a hard route to follow really. However, the coastline around there is very hilly (lots of cool alpine style switchbacks). Campsites at useful intervals. Nice beaches. As for trains, I like the bog standard TER trains in France with a bike over the TGV.

Have a great trip, a real cyclists route!
R Ball

Post by R Ball »

I did this route in a day and a half last year. Just follow the N road. first stop 10 miles east of Bilbao and second in Biarritz. couple of tips: follow main road into Bilbao and cross over at transporter bridge. Follow cycle route east out or San Sebastián and ride along the dual carriageway into Irun. You will get honked at but it is perfectly legal. Once in France roads easier to follow.
Roll-on

Post by Roll-on »

Many thanks to all who have contributed, it's much appreciated.
Roll-on

Post by Roll-on »

Completed this trip successfully. I wouldn't recommend it particularly, as the main section in Spain was on busy roads (marked as green routes on the Michelin maps) with cars and lorries zooming past ones' left ear'ole. Once in France you join the tail-end of the Velodyssey, so the route become more bike-friendly. The hills are numerous and although not too onerous, they become tiring for relatively unpracticed cyclists bearing heavy panniers. Some wonderful seaside places to stop although the weather was against us so we didn't get to play on the beaches. Next time I organise a group trip I'll stick to cycle routes.
Pleasant overnight ferry Plymouth to Santander
Great towns and seaside places to visit.
Good food and accommodation and good value in Spain, but a leap in prices in France.
Smooth 5 hour train journey Biarritz to Paris and Eurostar to London. Booking for bikes in advance is essential - we had to divide our small group between 2 trains even though I booked 3 months ahead.
Have fun,
Paul
rupertbarry

Post by rupertbarry »

Hi Paul,

It's been very useful reading this thread. I'd really appreciate some more info on the route you did. Five of us are doing it next month (Santander - Biarritz), and on your account it sounds like we should think carefully about how we want to cover the Spanish section to avoid busy roads and make the most of the route.

Any advice much appreciated. Do you have any experience of the camping choice/options along the route?

Many thanks,
Rupert
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

maybe a bus from santander to pamplona
http://bit.ly/1MoHwzM

€21 takes four hours. 10 for the bike, IIRC. wrap the bike in clingfilm, it's easy.

it's high up, you can go over the pyrenees on the north road or do in to st jean in france. it'll avoid the busy roads on the north spanish coast, which carry all the trade between spain and northern europe.
rupertbarry

Post by rupertbarry »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough - I'm looking for the best advice for cycling the north coast to avoid the busy roads, and recommended camping stops. We've got 4 days to do from Santander - Biarritz. Are their any GPX sets available etc?

The best account of the route I've found so far is - https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... =7411&v=B0