Dawes Sardar Sizing Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thistle

Dawes Sardar Sizing Question

Post by Thistle »

I ride a 58cm road bike, I am 5'8" with long legs and a short torso. I can ride a 56cm but prefer the extra room. I used to ride a 19" Gary Fisher mtn bike years ago.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what size Sardar I should be looking for? I don't really understand the Sardar sizing - I've searched quite a bit but feel no wiser. I realise that it will be best for me to try out the Sardar in question but I don't want to drive 100s of miles for a bike that has no chance of fitting me.

Thanks for any advice!!
horizon

Re: Dawes Sardar Sizing Question

Post by horizon »

For your height there are a couple of sizes (the two middle sizes measured from the BB centre to the top of the seat tube at the bolt). ) that will fit you. The Sardar has a sloping top tube so there's plenty of room for height adjustment. The bike comes normally with drop bars. However, the Sardar Ahead steerer tube was IMV cut too short but if you are used to a road bike this will present no problem.

PS There's an excellent Sardar on ebay at the moment but I reckon it's one size too small for you.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thank you kindly - I think I was looking at that one, it's a 48cm? So I should be looking at 50cm?
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

I had a Dawes Sardar the steel version, it is the 56cm version. I am 6 foot but with short legs! It has a similar feel to my Dawes Galaxy 23inch, but as previously stated it has a sloping top tube so its slightly better for my stumpy legs. I do prefer a longer top tube on my tourers, but agree with the comment that the steerer is a little short. Its an A head, 1 inch threadless set-up, so fairly easy to put a rising stem on it.

I cannot recommend the bike enough, it is an absolutely awesome bike. I have actually just renovated it and my son now owns it as he intends to take it across Europe after his Alevels. The set up is versatile and it's a beast with what it can carry and do!

I think a 48 may be a little on the short size, possibly a 52/54???
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why a Sardar? hardly common these days? And I doubt you would be able to choose, have to accept whats on offer? you might have a long wait... It would be better to consider a later same type of bike which you can try for fit? and would propably be better any way? I am now waiting for some one to ask about sizing for the Dawes 1-Down. even rarer....