Wicken Fen to Ely (NCR 11)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mistik-ka

Wicken Fen to Ely (NCR 11)

Post by Mistik-ka »

As part of a long tour in April :mrgreen: we would like to use National Cycle Route 11 from Cambridge to Ely. Checking it on cycle.travel and Google Earth, it looks like a lovely bit of riding except perhaps for about a mile of track between the cycleway coming out of Ely and the end of Goose Fen Drove.

Does anyone know what the surface is like? We'll be on a thoroughly-laden tandem with 2" tyres. (Good on gravel and crushed rock, not so much fun in mud.) Is this a stretch to be avoided if it's been raining? :?
mjr

Re: Wicken Fen to Ely (NCR 11)

Post by mjr »

I've only done it once, in the dry. I think that could be muddy in places after rain, especially in winter, but I think it's mainly the slope south of a gate that's likely to be problematic.

There's a shorter Cambridge-Ely route via NCN51 and Cottenham that you could use if it seems muddy, but part of that is on a busy B road.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

mjr wrote:There's a shorter Cambridge-Ely route via NCN51 and Cottenham that you could use if it seems muddy, but part of that is on a busy B road.

Thanks mjr. Yes, I looked at that alternative — probably the best bet if the rain's coming down in buckets and the ride is not going to be much fun in any case.

I suppose if it's been wet and we're not in a hurry and we really want to see England (which is the purpose of the tour) we could always take this meandering route: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10360?lat=52.3015&lon=0.194&zoom=12 and stay on tarmac.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Although that also misses Wicken Fen, I think that meander would take you past/near the Museum of Fenland Drainage at Prickwillow (opens April 25th to October 4th, Saturday to Tuesday 12:00 to 16:00).

How about a bit more of a meander to take a look at Newmarket (seems a shame to pass that close and not see it), or go more direct along the B road from Burwell to Fordham? Similarly, why add distance to visit Lode but miss out Anglesey Abbey (House open most days in April, Gardens every day)?

(FX: sits back and awaits angry messages from the Exning Tourism Partnership for suggesting using the B road instead :lol: )
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

Can't really help because it's a few years since we did this route and we were on solos then, hadn't yet found tandem joy :-)
Anyway I just wanted to say that we remember Wicken Fen as being just wonderful, a very evocative area. There were also the Konik (think I've spelt that right !) ponies that live wild there.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Have you tried the "Find Photos" links on cycle.travel and http://ely.cyclestreets.net/photomap/ ? Most of it is this sort of gravel http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4289809 but the bit I was worried about doesn't seem to be on either site. It might be sloped enough that it does drain.

Oh and if you do ride the lovely NCN11 route, be prepared for the notorious "Cock-up Bridge" http://www.cyclestreets.net/location/23768/ or avoid it by something like http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/40571415/#balanced (amongst others)
mg2012

Post by mg2012 »

Hi, I commute Ely-Cambridge and NCN11 should be fine in April. There are various short off-road sections between Lode and Wicken (as you can see on your map). I'd only use my MTB there at the moment, but they are as good as off-road sections come with crushed gravel and are definitively ok after some drier spells. The bit north of Barway, just south of Ely is usually the worst. Just a farm track really, needs MTB at the moment, but ok when dry and it's only a couple of miles. Great way to get into Ely along the river with the best views of the cathedral.

So I'd say give it a try and when you get to the first off-road section after Lode you can then decide whether to carry on on the NCN or whether to change to your alternative route via Swaffham or Reach (just turn right - all those droves take you back to that road and NCN51). If the Lode bit is wet and muddy then the Barway bit will be worse.

Wicken Fen is quite nice esp early in the morning and usually no other people for miles around but obviously not the most exciting cycling and quite a grind when it's muddy and there is a headwind.

Your alternative route is probably more scenic with pretty villages etc, a couple of comments on that one: Stay on NCN51 until either Burwell or Exning. Avoid Soham, lots of traffic and not that nice. Avoid the A142, it's very busy. Either go Burwell -> (busyish but only 10mins) Fordham -> Isleham ->Prickwillow or Exning -> Snailwell ->Chippenham ->Prickwillow (more scenic and very quiet roads). I don't particularly like Newmarket, busy traffic High St and not that pretty except for a few back streets which are hard to find. The area around Newmarket (S+W) on the other hand is some of the best cycling country with rolling hills and lovely countryside but perhaps too much of a detour.

Cottenham is my usual commuting route, the road isn't very busy outside rush hour but it's not very exiciting and traffic is fast. You get all the boring Fen bits without the nature reserve - it's quick and easy but not the route I'd take for sightseeing.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Brilliant everyone! :D This has given me plenty of information to sort things out. (Notably the "Cock-up Bridge" is not something I want to confront with a loaded tandem and a team age of 132 years … we've struggled over too many like that in the past :evil: )

Edit: Ignore my comment on "Cock-up Bridge". Mrs. M-k just looked at the photograph and said, "We've dealt with worse than that — what's the problem?" (That's my girl! :wink: )
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

There is a good selection of pictures and the routes we use with ctc Cambridge:

http://blog.ctc-cambridge.org.uk/2013/0 ... icken.html

Worth a search for Ely of Wicken on the blog.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've done that route a few times, including in April 2012, and it's always been fine for tandem, though there were a few rough spots that last time I did it.

I largely agree with mg2012 about route, as well. Though the only times I've been that way, it's been with plenty of time on my hands, and I've tended to just sort of wander the back lanes as my fancy took me :) It's lovely, but not the easiest place to negotiate without sat nav. Going by maps, I end up stopping at every junction and checking which road I'm at before I decide which sign I should follow. They are mostly sign-posted by the next little cluster of houses, rather than road names. If you're lucky, the name of the little green or village is on the map. If you aren't you have to guess by the name of the road. It's fun if you aren't trying to do 80 miles in a day. It's problemtic when in a hurry.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mg2012

Post by mg2012 »

About that bridge: They've done some preparation work for a new one and there have been plans for a more bike-friendly bridge for a while. Not sure if it'll be done before April, sorry.
I personally don't mind it because it's the highest point for miles around and gives pretty good views, they keep the wild horses and some sort of fancy cow herd near there. The only place I've ever seen a group of wild deer in the UK :-) Breaks up the slog a bit as well, but yes it'll be a hassle with a fully laden tandem.

Let us know how your plans go and definitively have a look at the CTC Cambridge web site - the goto site for local cafe and pub stops (although there are loads more in Ely by the river and in the centre)!
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

The CTC Cambridge site is certainly useful … and tempting — I want to go everywhere! :roll:

Vorpal, your observation is noted — we're not the eighty-mile-a-day sort. We find fifty is about right if we want to see the world, and ideally we budget two days a week to stay put and do our sightseeing on foot.

Apropos those 'staying put' days, does anyone have recommendations for tandem-friendly B&B's in Cambridge (the youth hostel's booked up, alas) or Ely?

CTC forum members are always so helpful :D . Thanks again.