Loch and Glens route plus a bit more ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike777

Loch and Glens route plus a bit more ?

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

I am looking to do the Loch and Glens route in May 2015 travelling from Inverness to Glasgow (or the other way) its about 220 miles so I thinking about adding a bit more on to make a week out of it (live in Oxford)

Did JOGLE in 2012 so I like to idea of maybe travelling through Prestwick and New Galloway following route 7 to Carlisle. This looks interesting and I wondered if anyone has cycled this route.

Would appreciate any advice or comments

Regards

Mike
geocycle

Re: Loch and Glens route plus a bit more ?

Post by geocycle »

I've done both North and South sections of the lochs and glens route. I thoroughly enjoyed both. Highlights in the south included glentrool forest offroad. Like all sustrans routes I use it as a basic guide and then adapt it to suit my cycling and timetable. The only bit I found a bit dull was the flat bit around Annan and Gretna North of the solway.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Not what you are planning but this is a mostly off-load alternative which my brother did: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/13830
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We did the Great Glen and thotoughly enjoyed it.

As the site states:

Canal Towpath 16 miles
Lochside paths 32 miles
Moorland, hill and farmland 21 miles
Town or City 4 miles

THe other option would be some time from Fort William meandering around local routes to Oban