Neo Air Venture sleeping mat

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
forestboy60

Neo Air Venture sleeping mat

Post by forestboy60 »

Has anybody used one of these mats before. I always suffer with hip problems sleeping on a roll mat, and this looks like a good option for my 2 week trip in June.
It packs small and weighs only 690 grams, which means it would fit in a pannier instead of being fastened to the rear rack.
MrsHJ

Re: Neo Air Venture sleeping mat

Post by MrsHJ »

I got this one last year ( slightly different one from the same family I guess) and it was bliss. Such a difference for my old achy hips even compared to previous generation thermarests. I am worried about punctures though and did look after it a bit more than I normally would.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermarest-NeoAir-XLite-Mattress-Large/dp/B00AFCRH5O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1422738174&sr=8-9&keywords=neoair
Splin

Post by Splin »

forestboy60 wrote:Has anybody used one of these mats before. I always suffer with hip problems sleeping on a roll mat, and this looks like a good option for my 2 week trip in June.
It packs small and weighs only 690 grams, which means it would fit in a pannier instead of being fastened to the rear rack.

I toured the whole summer with it last year, and found it very comfortable.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi
Would endorse other positives. Use this for long climbing trips (3-4 weeks) and cycle touring. Packs small, reasonable weight, long enough at 6', comfortable even at altitude and sleeping on snow and ice. Only minor downsides: can be noisy moving around on and takes a little more care and time to pack small, but these have never bothered me. I replaced the stuff sac in which it came with small net bag and this works well. Expensive but worth the price and has been very durable so far.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
jake

Post by jake »

This is the new Thermarest self inflating mat: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -mat-p3608. It's 50 mm thick and I will be getting one when they bring it out in 3/4 length.
A hiking friend has a Neo Air. He loves the comfort but has never been convinced about it's longer term durability.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've had an original Neoair (same as XLite, looks like) for 5 years with no punctures or failed baffles
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

I'm a big fan of airmats over self-inflators. I used to feel the ground at my hip when turning over using my old thermarest self-inflator. I think you'll like the upgrade. There's a 45g battery-powered inflator pump available for the neoairs too, which is apparently surprisingly good.

If I were you, I'd look also at the ExPed mats - the medium size Venture you mention is listed as 5cm thick, 620g, with warmth indicating r-value of 1.8. The Exped Synmat UL 9 M is same size / weight but much thicker (9cm) and r-value of 6.0, which is a very good rating. The tubes go longways rather than sideways, with the outside ones being a wee bit wider to stop you rolling out.

My next mat will prob be the UL 7, which is similar but thinner / lighter. My current mat is nice but is not rectangular, doesn't have any pump system available (20 blows doesn't sound much but it tots up!) and is not rectangular (coffin shaped, it's v light but I miss the corners), and only has one valve (the exped has a big exit valve).
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Thanks for all the info. I have been and bought the NeoAir VentureWV Regular. Got it from my local Cotswolds shop, £51 with my National Trust 15% discount.
So now just got to get fit for the 2 week trip end of June, early July.