Atlantic to the Med along the Pyrenees, Spanish side, Qs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mouse

Atlantic to the Med along the Pyrenees, Spanish side, Qs

Post by mouse »

Hi. me and the family are considering cycling the route from San Sebastian/Irun on the Atlantic side across to the Med, running parallel with the Spanish border at the beginning of July. There is a route in the Cicerone Spanish Touring book that looks hopeful but I haven't seen it yet - has anyone done the route? Any advice or ideas welcome. Some other people posting have suggested that camping isn't much of an option - are there enough places to stay? How feasible is wild camping? Cheers!
MrsHJ

Re: Atlantic to the Med along the Pyrenees, Spanish side, Qs

Post by MrsHJ »

Fabulous. We have done chunks of this but very little in the east. Camping is an option where we have been but that partially focused on the fabulous Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park. We've also camped in Jaca and then in maybe Anso when we were heading over the very stunning pass to Arette St Pierre Martin. Camping is less frequent than in France. You can camp at the coasts too of course but I don't know about the eastern half of the Pyrenees on the Spanish side. We found the spanish side hot, there were some strong prevailing winds in the evening (might have just been us being unlucky).

Some of the online maps show campsites.I've just checked my pocket earth and there are campsites marked .(there is also a cycle route marked). Not my favourite map though. I think wild camping would be very possible in the mountains, no idea if it is legal. Some of the vegetation is Mediterranean which offers less cover but I'm sure you would find something. There are also modestly priced hotels in the small towns. Camping is usually only open June to end August in some areas although I expect longer in the national,park and the coasts.
BeeKeeper

Re: Atlantic to the Med along the Pyrenees, Spanish side, Qs

Post by BeeKeeper »

My brother and I did it last year, following the Cicerone route. Our account of the trip is here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Spain2014
We didn't camp, partly because it is a very hilly route and we didn't want to carry excess weight. However, accommodation in Spain is very reasonable so it wasn't too expensive.

Others may disagree but I think the opportunities to wild camp are limited. The level bits are in the valleys and the Spanish are very keen on surrounding their land with wire fences. The mountain stretches are short on flat bits.

You don't say how old the family is, I wouldn't say this is a route for young children but probably OK for older teenagers.