Garmin Tour mapping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robgul

Re: Garmin Tour mapping

Post by robgul »

I've got the Velomap maps for France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, UK and they all work on my Garmin Touring .... they are on individual microSD cards ... the downside (amongst a number) with Garmin is that the map files it loads are all the same filename so you can't load more than one at a time ... hence needing separate microSDs - but the 8Gb (max for Garmin to handle) cards are as cheap as chips nowadays.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can rename them.
Two maps on one MicroSD card, and the base map is on the main unit.
Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 17.31.48.png
Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 17.32.20.png
Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 17.32.20.png (3.97 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Mick F. Cornwall
monxton

Post by monxton »

It depends on the model. Older Garmins will only read maps from the file GMAPSUPP.IMG. Modern models, such as the eTrex 30, will read any img file in the right directory, so you can have several on the same card without having to keep renaming them.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I have just ordered the uk/ireland map from garmin (you get the sd card with it) and I will also try the velomap. All I want is to be able to cycle on an A road when i specify it :-) Being able to have both map types will be a bonus, the open street ones will be better for going off the beaten track I will be disapointed if it still has the same issue!

I hope the person who originally posted is watching this!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

monxton wrote:It depends on the model. Older Garmins will only read maps from the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.
You may be correct, I don't know.

I only started using two maps with my Garmin Montana. I never tried it with my Edge 705, but I don't see how it would have complained if I had done.

I have other maps saved on my computer ready to download to my Montana if I wanted them, and all I would need to do would be to make sure they all had different .IMG names.

Whatever happens, it's worth a try. Save the maps to your computer, then put them back into your Garmin as a different .IMG names. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote:
monxton wrote:It depends on the model. Older Garmins will only read maps from the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.
You may be correct, I don't know.

I only started using two maps with my Garmin Montana. I never tried it with my Edge 705, but I don't see how it would have complained if I had done.

I have other maps saved on my computer ready to download to my Montana if I wanted them, and all I would need to do would be to make sure they all had different .IMG names.

Whatever happens, it's worth a try. Save the maps to your computer, then put them back into your Garmin as a different .IMG names. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing.

Pretty sure that the Garmin Tour - which is what this thread is about! - ONLY sees one file name ... thus the jiggery pokery with multiple SD cards. [As a lateral thought ... and a trick I've used on a tablet for something else is to store more than one map on an SD card with different filenames BUT change the name of the file you want to use to the default Garmin name ... you'd need a either a PC or an OTG cable and SD card reader to make the filename change on a phone/tablet]

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

You can have multiple maps on the Edge Touring. In the
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Tool menu select Trip Pages and then Map. From there you can then enable/disable the installed maps.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

You may not be able to use Garmin Maps. Check before buying. You can certainly use Velomaps.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I checked on the Garmin Site, it lists the edge touring/plus as compatible (it never used too) as above I think this has now been enabled since last firmware update.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

I'm grateful for all the advice regarding Garmin Touring-supplied routes. HC kindly suggested using cycle.travel as a mapping site and then downloading directly into the Garmin. I had a look at that site, and it seemed to be remarkably easy to use both for route planning and established routes.

Many thanks
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I have had the city navigator maps, however I haven't had a ride with them yet. However it appears you can use all six digit's of the postcode which weren't available on the openstreetmap versions. Quick tip: I ordered the maps pre-loaded onto a card, it seems this means they are locked to that specific memory card!!! and the card is only 2gb! you can't copy them so imho order the DVD which allows you to write them to your own memory card.

Pro's and Cons: DVD = write to multiple memory cards but locked to a specific unit V's prewritten to memory card = locked to card but can be used in multiple devices (and can't be backed up).

you decide, will write more when I can get out for a ride currently getting over chest infection!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

only read maps from the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.
You can still have several maps on one card by using different names. E.g on one card in my Edge 800 I have the following -
CN GMAPSUP.img which is City Navigator Europe
GMSUP fiets.img which is open fiets map for western Europe
GMAPSUP osmFR.img which is OSM FRance
OS GMAPSUP.img which is Ordnance Survey

Then you enable the map you want to use and disable the others. If an Edge 800 can do it then I imagine an Edge Touring will do the same.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

tatanab wrote:
only read maps from the file GMAPSUPP.IMG.
You can still have several maps on one card by using different names. E.g on one card in my Edge 800 I have the following -
CN GMAPSUP.img which is City Navigator Europe
GMSUP fiets.img which is open fiets map for western Europe
GMAPSUP osmFR.img which is OSM FRance
OS GMAPSUP.img which is Ordnance Survey

Then you enable the map you want to use and disable the others. If an Edge 800 can do it then I imagine an Edge Touring will do the same.

Did your maps come preloaded on a different micro sd card originally or on a DVD? If they were on a card how did you successfully get past the locking to card serial?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DarkNewt wrote: ....................how did you successfully get past the locking to card serial?
I'm not suggesting you do this, but if you Google Garmin map unlocking, and spend some time doing this, and doing some research, you could end up finding this site.

http://www.gpspower.net/software-tools/ ... patch.html

Don't do it.
It's against the copyright laws.
Mick F. Cornwall