Garmin Tour mapping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Garmin Tour mapping

Post by bobzeller »

I have just bought a Garmin Edge Touring Plus and am wondering how good are the routings that are supplied on the unit, for the average tourist. Does anyone know what the criteria is for those routes? The device does provide some 'minimising' options including altitude for offered routes but it would be difficult to really judge the Garmin-designed route in its entirety as it is presented on the screen. I ask this because while it might be best if one could spend time custom making a route before starting a tour, that might not be possible. Or something else might mean that after you have set off, perhaps days later, unexpected opportunities or circumstances might require you need to modify things. Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
maxcherry

Re: Garmin Tour mapping

Post by maxcherry »

Did you buy one with or without maps?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Personally I wouldn't dream of handing over navigation decisions to any Garmin (or any other make).
I'm not familiar with Edge models, but I would expect them to produce more or less "efficient" routes, minimising this, avoiding those - but if you want to go a mile out of the direct line to see something you are going to have to enter that location as a waypoint - which implies that you are going to have to research and plan your journey yourself, and use something like Basecamp to prepare a gpx file of the track. Tracks are not interactive. They are simply lines drawn on a map. A gps will show you the line, and show you your position. It remains your responsibility to follow that line. And in my opinion that is by far the be3st to use these devices.
Having said that, my GPS62s came with a Navigator map as standard. If I was trying to find my way to an address in a strange city I would unhesitatingly select that map and give the machine its head. It would undoubtedly find the place and guide me round any one way systems along the way. Urban use is where they can be excellent. Outside that, when I am the motive power, I require more control.
Come on. Preparation is the best bit, isn't it? :D

As for unexpected developments etc. I guess, at a pinch, I might try the routing function to reach the days destination, but to be honest, I usually try to have some sort of paper map to hand and I would prefer to use that for strategic navigation, letting the gps dot the i's and cross the t's.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I have been really dissapointed with mine, the edge touring plus comes with open street map, and even if you put road only it decides very narrow or bad dirt tracks are roads apparently because open street map is contributed too.

It drives me insane such that I am going to get rid of it: You can plot a route to go down an A road and it will want you to go anywhere but on the A road it doesn't really recognise your route. I have tried all the different settings etc.. all I can say is the most disapointing unsuited gps I have ever bought, my phone with co-pilot does a far better job!

great for showing a track across a wood but actually following a route that is on a road that you specified I am pretty sure if I tried to get it to navigate to the end of my road it would try and take me through the neighbors gardens rather than go on an actual road.

sorry to be so negative, but the worst money I have ever spent.

Ohh and I just fired off another support request to Garmin so I will see what amusing thing they want me to do now, reinstall my PC most likely.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Not had a problem with my Edge 800. It has trail and European maps, planning a route on Garmin Connect is easier to tweak than on the unit.

I picked the full bundle not because I'm a cycling goddess but because I figured it would work out cheaper and easier.
DCRainmaker advised the 800 over the Tour, but its a case of buy what ever makes you happy
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Garmin routing is the work of Satan - plan your own routes with online or PC mapping and load your file - switch off the "tell me if I'm going the wrong way" feature on the Garmin.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Heltor Chasca

Garmin Tour mapping

Post by Heltor Chasca »

robgul wrote:Garmin routing is the work of Satan - plan your own routes with online or PC mapping and load your file - switch off the "tell me if I'm going the wrong way" feature on the Garmin.

Rob

Yup. Garmin's route-mapping is junk although the map software on the Edge is pretty good. Plan your routes on something like Cycle.Travel then upload your GPX file to the device.

EDIT: For £170 there are going to be limitations. It does the job it's meant to do and you have 3 routes to choose from if you let Garmin map a route for you. You can check the cross section of each route too.

I'm still an advocate of maps & compass. Nothing beats a lovely paper map.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yup too.
I never let my Garmin think for itself unless I fancy a laugh. :lol:

This thread has put me in mind of something I've been thinking about ...............
Garmins have no comprehension of hills. Maybe if I bought the Topo Maps it could be different, but there is nothing in a Garmin device that will recognise chevrons for instance.

You can set them to navigate as a cyclist or a car. I have mine set to "car" because I have no wish to be sent down cycle tracks when there's a perfectly good road. I also set it to avoid major highways and toll roads of course.

During the week, we bought a TomTom for our Fiat 500. It's a dedicated unit for the Fiat 500 and connects via bluetooth to the car's system. I'm still playing with it. :D

However, I have noticed that it too has no comprehension of hills. Until this morning, I had it set to navigate the fastest route, but I found an "Eco" setting. I've yet to find if this makes any difference.

The reason I bring this up, is that the 18c turnpike road to Tavistock from here winds and bends snake-like up and down the hills, but the old packhorse route goes straight up and straight down. Some of the packhorse route is still in use and tarmaced and is used as a rat run if you want to get a move on. TomTom routes you that way.

When we drive to Tavistock, we take the longer turnpike route as it's easier on the car, more relaxing, and more gentle. I'd be interested if TomTom routes us along the gentle route later today when we go shopping.

Here's the map.
Screen shot 2015-01-31 at 09.42.14.png
Mick F. Cornwall
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

I bought the Garmin Tour Plus unit and it came loaded with maps.

Thanks again for any advice as to how good the cycle routes are that you are given when you ask for a route from one place to another.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

bobzeller wrote:I bought the Garmin Tour Plus unit and it came loaded with maps.

Thanks again for any advice as to how good the cycle routes are that you are given when you ask for a route from one place to another.

I don't think we have been very helpful, but try finding someone to be positive about the touring plus! This may be a bit more positive and may assist:

recently i cycled round the isle of wight 20th dec gale force 8 winds lol.. I used the touring plus with a pre planned route and turned off the auto calculate off route option, then used the zoom in and out to check i was roughly going the way I wanted. That worked out quite well..

I really wish I could give you some more positive advice/feedback but I am in the same boat as you!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

It's all about the maps and how they prioritise routes which suit you. Find the right map set and you will be happy. My preference is for Velomaps and the Garmin routing set to 'car'. This gives very cycle friendly routes.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

the garmin touring/touring plus comes with open street map as far as I am aware you can't put other maps on.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Does it not have a memory card slot?
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Yup, I've checked. It will accept multiple maps. You can have a map for every activity if you wish. Give Velomap a try.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

hexhome wrote:Yup, I've checked. It will accept multiple maps. You can have a map for every activity if you wish. Give Velomap a try.

Hi,

this may be a breakthrough, previously I was told you could not load the other garmin maps by garmin support, this must be a new facility in the last firmware update! Great spot hexhome!

I will report back if I am successful.

Regards,