Flying back to UK from Cape Town

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Anyone got experience of flying back to London from Cape Town with a bike etc.?

Emirates has a cheap flight but want 690 Rand per kg for the bike and excess (£933!) on top of the flight price.

BA seems cheaper overall but the flight is over double and BA and I have bad history with damages and lost items.

After cycling from the UK to Cape Town it seems the most stressful part of the whole trip is flying home! Other flights have never been a problem!

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
Last edited by gplhl on 28 Jan 2015, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Flying back to UK from Cape Town

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Gary have you tried SAA? Another option would be to get a domestic to JHB from CPT then you have a huge choice of airlines that come back to the UK possibly with more lenient policies...hc
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Thanks Hector, first attempt with SAA they gave me a number for the baggage dept that didn't exist!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't understand. I fly regularly with Emirates and bikes are free as part of your standard 30kgs allowance. Anything over the 30 is subjest to excess (high charges by all account).

As you are coming home, can't you post or otherwise freight your excess. Can't imagine you'll be needing your tent in the UK for a while.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

simonhill wrote:I don't understand. I fly regularly with Emirates and bikes are free as part of your standard 30kgs allowance. Anything over the 30 is subjest to excess (high charges by all account).

As you are coming home, can't you post or otherwise freight your excess. Can't imagine you'll be needing your tent in the UK for a while.

Policies are different depending on routes. I used to work in Tourism in a past life and airline protocol is a minefield. Luggage allowances etc differ inexplicably much to the frustration of agents and pax.

I also thought of VS (Virgin) Gary. Thinking out the box: Capetonians are a metro-lot, keen on sport and fairly wealthy. Could you flog your beloved bike? [emoji174]
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

simonhill wrote:I don't understand. I fly regularly with Emirates and bikes are free as part of your standard 30kgs allowance. Anything over the 30 is subjest to excess (high charges by all account).

Yes that's an option to look into, would rather everything went together with me.

Bike box with bits packed there are 23kg, then another 30kg of luggage.

At the moment SAA look to be cheapest. Sports equipment is free.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Might be a bit late now, but I was thinking as I was pedalling along yesterday....

Virgin are a bike friendly and PR happy airline. Is it worth approaching them with your dilemma. Tell them about your trip and ask if they can help you get home. You could agree to something like a photo and write up in their inflight mag.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Haven't booked yet Simonhill, not sure if virgin fly out of Cape Town. Will check when I'm on wifi. Thanks.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
mr mchenry

Post by mr mchenry »

I've flown both Virgin and BA both ways for the Cape Argus and it was a doddle. - Bike in cardboard bike box, - pedals off etc a nd helmet shoes and stuff in the box. Easy drop-off and collection both ends, - you just get directed to oversize luggage. - With Virgin I seem to remember the bike was free on top of standard baggage allowance. With BA it went as my hold baggage and I filled up my carry-on with clothes etc, though fortunately I was with my wife, so we had a full 23Kg hold case between us as well. Boxes are marked fragile etc and I think the handlers are respectful of the contents and place them in the hold to avoid any damage.
I would try and get non-stop flights though as transiting with a bike via Dubai or Joburg, there is more chance of something going wrong.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Thanks all, after speaking to several airlines I ended up with SAA, cheapest in the end with all the touring kit. Fingers crossed it all gets to Heathrow ok as I need the bike to ride home after.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gplhl wrote:Thanks all, after speaking to several airlines I ended up with SAA, cheapest in the end with all the touring kit. Fingers crossed it all gets to Heathrow ok as I need the bike to ride home after.

Gary

Good work Gary. Safe trip home. Look forward to the blog updates. I need to bend your ear about your kick-stand on your bike. Fancy puting anything on your blog about it when you get 5 minutes? Surly have interesting opinions don't they? [emoji1]

Ps. My Surly DT came from Cadence too.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Heltor Chasca wrote: Surly have interesting opinions don't they?

Ps. My Surly DT came from Cadence too.

Mmm... What they say seems to make sense... Until you put it I'm practice. Who wants to lay their bike in the mud?? Leaning against walls they still fall over occasionally.

Trying to find a place to pee where there are no people and somewhere to lean your bike can be hard.

Jonny and his team have been great at Cadence, Bath.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gplhl wrote:Mmm... What they say seems to make sense... Until you put it I'm practice. Who wants to lay their bike in the mud?? Leaning against walls they still fall over occasionally.

Trying to find a place to pee where there are no people and somewhere to lean your bike can be hard.

Gary

Hope your tour's going well Gary. Hope you don't mind me bugging you about your stand. My last bike had one so I get how useful they are.

I'm interested in the Pletscher twin leg stand. I've also contemplated Surly's advice on kickstands. (ie not to) I've seen a guy on YouTube with a LHT who has fitted a chock of sorts in between the chain stays to avoid crushing them. Clever.

What have you fitted and have you made any modifications to the fit?

I owe you a beer...hc

Apologies for yet more thread drift!
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Hi hector, I bought a normal twin leg pletscher, put some old tube around and installed. The tube has since perished and I had to tighten again. I've not looked to see if there is any damage while I'm still on tour. I'm expecting paint damage. I'll wait till I get home next month to look when I overhaul the bike.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk