USA Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nigel Laverick

USA Tour

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I am planning a 3 month ride from San Diego to Seattle . My overall plan is to take a route through the best sights , sequoias , Grand Canyon , Crater Lake . . . I will be wild camping most of the time . Any suggestions on the best times to visit , maps , useful sources of info . ,wild life( I'm paranoid about bears), cycling through deserts and any other advice would be most welcome.

Nigel
irc

Re: USA Tour

Post by irc »

I'd suggest starting late April/early May. To get to the Grand Canyon from San Diego you need to cross either the Sonoran or Mojave desets. Riding east from San Diego in mid March I was hitting temps in the high 90sf. On the other hand if you go earlier then it's too cold further north or higher up - like the Grand Canyon rim..

Desert temps. (top) and Grand Canyon temps (bottom).

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29776 ... ted-States

daily_high_and_low_temperature_temperature_c.png

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30349 ... ted-States
Attachments
daily_high_and_low_temperature_in_april_temperature_c.png
daily_high_and_low_temperature_in_april_temperature_c.png (20.35 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Just an estimate of the mileage is 4000. I drove it 15 years ago, Mexico border to Canadian Border. I went along the coast to Orange County (south of LA) where I went over the mountains via Big Bear and out to Barstow, Vegas and on to Monument Valley on the way to Grand Canyon. Here I differed wildly from you (driving remember) in that I headed west through Zion National Park and out into Death Valley (only 110F in early April). The passes to Yosemite were still closed with snow so I looped around to San Francisco. From there I rejoined your plan by going up through the Redwood National Park and out to Crater Lake. From there, over the border to Washington State, up Mount St Helens and then northwards through Seattle and up to Canada. So this is just a heads up that it was about 4000 miles and in late March/early April there was plenty of snow over Big Bear, Yosemite and Mount St Helens. Grand Canyon is high enough that it was pretty chilly there as well.

Widlife should not be a problem. I lived in Seattle for a couple of years and near LA for one year. Down south I was told off by local riders because when we stopped I went to sit on a rock at the side of the road - they said not to do that because of danger from rattlers. Up north, even riding off road in the mountains the only bear I saw was a dead one in a ditch. I camped in places, but not wild camping so had no issues with needing to keep food etc away from the tent. Coyotes - I saw plenty, mainly roaming industrial estates just like foxes over here, they were not a problem.

The big problem I had down south was that I moved there in June from the UK. Midday temperatures made club rides very hard for me until I acclimatised. That sudden change from riding in 18C to riding in 40C was tough. North, around Seattle, the climate is similar to south coast UK except that we have a storm system push through whereas up there it can drizzle steadily for a couple of weeks.
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

Thanks for advice. Climate seems more of an issue than wildlife.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Crater Lake and Cascades are best in the summer. There's a reasonable chance of snow still on the ground well into June. The best weather is usually in August.

Wild life isn't usually a problem, but there are some things to be cautious about. If wild camping, follow local advice about wildlife...

In desert areas, keep your tent selaed as much as possible, and shake out shoes or sleeping bags before getting in them. A number of creatures are attracted to the warmth and may bite if startled. Most aren't poisonous enough to do real harm, but some of the rattlesnakes are. If you are bitten, call emergency services (911). People seldom die from snake or scorpion bites, but they should be treated immediately.

In forested areas further north, carry some rope and a rubbish bag to make a bear bag in a tree, well away from your tent. Do not keep any food, things that once held food, anything sweet smelling like toothpaste or deodorant, or clothes that you have worn whilst cooking in yout tent. Cook and eat food well away from your tent to avoid the smells being there. There is no reason to be afraid of bears, but they have unfortunately learned ot like our food. There is some good advice about bears here: http://www.nps.gov/noca/naturescience/bear-safety.htm
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
irc

Post by irc »

Nigel Laverick wrote:Thanks for advice. Climate seems more of an issue than wildlife.

Going S-N or N-S you need to choose your starting times carefully. For example most people doing the Great Divide which goes through mountains in the norh and low deserts in the south typically start in July. Late enough the passes are clear of snow. Not hitting the deserts until September.

Don't forget though that crossing the deserts is only a few days. If you use a motel or two o get out the heat and ride very early you can avoid the worst conditions. This article on crazyguyonabike gives a good overview of riding east from the coast in the southwest USA.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=4968
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

Thanks for advice, thank God we don't have big mammals in UK.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I live in Colorado. Close encounters with Bears all summer in town, a couple of Coyotes, and the occasional Mountain Lion.

I go camping, as do lots of other people out here, and even more people do day-hikes out into the Rockies. Locally, I can't recall any wildlife-attacks on anything other then domesticated pets. A guy did kill a bear by riding into it on his bicycle on a bike path (must have been a small bear) but thats really it.

As long as you take the normal precautions, the wildlife are more scared of you then you are of them. Eat food away from your tent and store it high in a tree using a rope - a skinny tree so that a bear can't climb it, and a skinny branch (and let it hang a few feet below the branch) so critters like Possums and Racoons won't tear into it. When you brush your teeth, do the spray-method - spray it out of your mouth - that way its not a concerntrated glob of toothpaste etc and is less likely to draw attention of an animal to your area.

Given the millions of people who go camping every year in such areas, as long as you follow those rules, you'll be perfectly fine and not even know they're there. I always check my shoes in the morning when camping to make sure nothing has decided to crawl up inside for the night - spiders especially.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In northern Wisconsin, I used to see bears regularly (once or twice per year), though I seldom came close to them. I have encountered bears twice in my life, close enough to touch, and survived to tell about it ;)

Bears aren't a problem when people behave sensibly and follow advice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

Thanks for the comforting advice.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've lived in the US for 40 years and done quite a bit of bike touring. Nowadays I avoid camping but that's just my preference in old age, there's no reason not to camp really. Most state, FS and NP campsites have what they call hiker/biker sites for people who are hiking or biking that are usually available when they are turning away cars.

The only individual I ever met who had a bad encounter with animals was a lad who ended up fighting a racoon that gnawed through his tent to get at some food. Do make sure you store any food and that includes soap and toothpaste. outside the tent as advised above or in a bear box if you are at a proper campsite. My personal worst experience with critters was with mice, I had an energy bar with me and the buggers ate through my tent and were crawling all over me in the middle of the night to get at it. Creepy but not actually dangerous.

I did ride from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. One day we went from 90F to snow, so be prepared for 4 seasons (I never saw the Canyon because my wife was taken ill and I had to turn round and head home 1/2 a day from it). I also rode from Canada to San Diego on Adventure Cycling's Sierra Cascades route. I highly recommend it. Make sure you time things so the passes are open e.g Mt Lassen National Park. Poking around on the internet will give you Forest Service and National Park numbers (Note these are two separate organizations the FS is part of the Department of Agriculture the NPs are the Department of the Interior) When you get here give 'em a ring in time to change your plans if higher elevations are snowed in. I didn't and learned the hard way (see my write up)

ACA maps are a great resource. Don't worry you won't be constantly banging into people doing the same route, somebody every four or five days seems to be about the norm.

Edit. It's generally not recommended riding S to N along the coast because a) there's a very consistent N wind and b) you are on the wrong side of the road to see anything. Inland the wind isn't much of a consideration.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

Thanks , that's useful advice. I've pretty much decided to ride from San Francisco across to Yosemite , down through the Giant Sequoia park , across death valley , to the north rim of the Grand canyon , then head NE to Pueblo , cross the Plains to Washington via the Ozarks and Appls. I thought 3 months would do it , I did 4,500mls in Europe in 70 days so I think I'll be ok on time . Two questions :
What maps would you recommend ? When I'm in Europe I use l motoring atlases because they're cheap,
How much do American campsites generally charge for solo campers ? The only fees I've seen on web sites seem a bit steep - $20+ but I think this might be for cars.

Ta Nigel
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In general, the cost for a camping place is the same, independent of how you arrive.

However, state and national forests usually have some places 'reserved' for late arrivals by foot or bike and they are much less likely to turn you away without a reservation than if you arrive by car.

Also, there are campgrounds that do not allow campervans and motor homes. These are usually a bit cheaper. Some place like Yosemite, it's best to book in advance, if you can.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Note that Yosemite (and most other state and national forests) have a fee to enter the park, as well as camp. But those fees are typically smaller if you walk or cycle than if you bring a motor vehicle in.

IMO, $20 is not too bad. Many private campgrounds will charge more. You can sometimes camp for free on farmland, or public space, but always ask first, as tresspassing is a criminal act in the USA. If there isn't a local tourist information to ask at, ask at the police or fire station. They are usually happy to help and can tell you where it is safe and legal to camp.
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

Many thanks for all info