Touring Asia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jimmie

Touring Asia

Post by Jimmie »

My wife and I are planing a cycle tour in Asia. We intend to travel from Bejing to Nanning for onward border crossing into Vietnam and onto Hanoi. From Hanoi we intend to cycle to Chaing Rai then onto Bangkok. We would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience of routes, travelling, accommodation, sights etc in the area.
Thanks Jimmie
simonhill

Re: Touring Asia

Post by simonhill »

I've cycled extensively in the SE Asia countries and a bit in China.

Your question is too big to answer in a simple post, as every country is different. I'd be happy to have a chat about it but I am in Chiang Mai at the moment. When are you leaving?

Also your route is a bit vague, how do you plan getting from Hanoi to Chiang Rai? What are you doing for bikes?

In the meantime there are plenty of entries in Crazyguy from people who have cycled the area.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Yeah thanks for that. Your right there are quite a few blogs re other parts of Asia but not so much about China.
We are taking a tandem on an extended tour and are leaving Scotland at the end of March.
We feel that we are organised to a degree with the part of the trip from Hanoi to Bangkok as we are following two established routes, one from Hanoi to Chiang Ria (travel and bike Loas) and the other from Chiang Ria to Bangkok (spice road tours) albeit that we are doing it independently. We are less well organised for the China section and would be grateful for any advice re a route from Beijing to Hanoi. Would be great to organise a chat with you re the Vietnam, Loas and Thailand section though.
Thanks Jimmie.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, I won't be home till April.

My cycling in China has only been in the South, mainly Yunnan. I suspect the reason you can't find much about your route is that it is not a favoured area for cycling. The East coast and inland is the most densley populated, most industrial, etc, etc in China.

Most cyclist seem to prefer Chengdu and west, with Yunnan being a favourite. Others are coming or going to the Stans overland route and so are also more to the west.

You may find more help on the LP site https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... -your-bike
there are also country forums for specific non cycling questions. Try to ask specific questions rather than tell me all you know ones.

Taking your bike on the excellent trains in China is easy and cheap. Book bike in a day or two early as freight and its there when you get off your sleeper train.

The Lao to Chiang Mai route is good, I've ridden most of it over the years, but it is tough if you are going to ride it all. Where they say transfer (ie bus) these bits are often the hardest or most remote sections.

If you can get hold of very old LP book on cycling in SE Asia, there is a route profile of Hanoi to DBP just to give you an idea (don't buy, try library).

As I said, won't be able to have a chat but I am happy to try to answer any questions (within reason).
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Thanks

Jimmie
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

simonhill wrote:My cycling in China has only been in the South, mainly Yunnan. I suspect the reason you can't find much about your route is that it is not a favoured area for cycling. The East coast and inland is the most densley populated, most industrial, etc, etc in China.

Most cyclist seem to prefer Chengdu and west, with Yunnan being a favourite. Others are coming or going to the Stans overland route and so are also more to the west.

Guangxi is nevertheless a mountainous further inland, with many famous landscapes, though Guilin to the north has more of this. Hunan also includes famous mountainous sights like Wulingyuan in the Wuling mountains. Hubei similarly has some mountains. Thus one can be travelling through attractive mountainous landscapes without going so deep inland, once you've got across the north China plain (eg Henan). And given the broad curve of the Chinese coastline going so far inland is a broadly direct cycling route from Beijing to the Vietnamese border. Though there will also be some flatter agricultural basins to cross, though you can limit this by bending a little further west.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I agree, I spent about 3 weeks cycling in N of Guilin in Guangxi and it was some of the most interesting cycling I have done. Genuine minority people in traditional attire, not just for the tourists. Wonderful old wooden towns, but some serious hills made all the worse by the dreaded 'road under construction'.

When route planning one thing worth looking for is where a new motorway runs parallel with an old style highway. All the major traffic goes on the motorway and you have the old highway virtually to yourself. Still plenty of services and towns with accom, but no traffic. I rode for days on a couple of these across the south and from Kunming to Lao border.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

Thank you both that gives us some ideas.