Paris and Bike Security

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sail&fish

Paris and Bike Security

Post by sail&fish »

Following a successful trip to France (St Malo to Caen) last year with our 3 boys we are considering a trip to Paris this Summer perhaps travelling one way by train. My concern is bike security in a major city both whilst doing touristy things in the city and overnight while staying in accommodation.

There will be 5 of us and am interested in any experiences or recommendations you may have.
jamesgilbert

Re: Paris and Bike Security

Post by jamesgilbert »

As you can imagine, bike theft is a bit of a problem in Paris. I hosted a couple of WarmShowers cyclists last year who arrived without their bikes - they had left them locked up outside their hotel the night before in the Montmartre area.

If you have good bike locks, you should get away with leaving them in busy areas during the daytime while sightseeing, but definitely not at night. Your best bet for accommodation could be an AirBNB style rental where you can check beforehand if there's room for the bikes inside. Some hotels with secure underground car parks will let you leave the bikes there, but there may not be anything to attach them to.

If you do have somewhere safe to leave the bikes during your stay in Paris, you might like to use the Vélib rental bikes for sightseeing - it's a very good system and only 1.70 euros per day.

Finally, if you do lose a bike then it's a good excuse to visit the Puces de Saint Ouen flea market ( http://www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen.com ) to try and buy it back - this is where most stolen bikes end up :wink:
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

If you are travelling back to London by Eurostar I understand you can check your bikes in advance and they will keep them in London at the collection counter until you return.

I recall it is cheaper this way as well.

Tim.
sail&fish

Post by sail&fish »

jamesgilbert wrote: AirBNB style rental where you can check beforehand if there's room for the bikes inside.

That's a top tip thanks as is the bike hire, is there an easy way to check space for bikes inside or do we message each individually?
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

You'd have to check with each place individually. Quite a few apartment blocks in Paris will also have bike storage areas.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

tim_f wrote:If you are travelling back to London by Eurostar I understand you can check your bikes in advance and they will keep them in London at the collection counter until you return.

I recall it is cheaper this way as well.

Tim.

I can confirm this is correct as we did the same at the end of our London to Paris ride a couple of years ago, saving finding somewhere to store our bikes in Paris. The bikes waited in London whilst we stayed two nights - I think there's a limit to the amount of time they will hold them in London so it's worth giving Euro Dispatch a call before booking your trip.