New Forest Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

New Forest Tour

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm off on a 4 day 'tour' of the IOW in May. For me part of the excitement is the ferry crossing. Growing up in a landlocked country for a couple of decades makes this a grand adventure. Early May is right at the beginning of it's emergence, but I'm hoping to see a Glanville Fritillary. Oops I've just lost the audience...hc
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 23 Feb 2015, 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
beardy

Re: New Forest Tour

Post by beardy »

"They" say it is the most expensive ferry crossing in the world (per distance travelled)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Only done it once and from Lymington, and it was one, if not the, most beautiful ferry crossing I've been on.
Deevoy88

Post by Deevoy88 »

simonhill wrote:I don't understand this post. It says tour in the New Forest for two weeks. For me touring is essentially about moving on.

I would have thought you would need far less time 'to tour' the NF.

Isle of Wight is good for a few days, but that stil leaves plenty of time to continue the tour. Are you moving on or looking for a static base?

Hi
Yes i do agree that two weeks is a long time for the new forest however this would be my first tour after being hit by a lorry two years ago. I have a artificial knee, 4 fused vertebrae in my back and also metal holding my right arm together from wrist to elbow. I am in no hurry trust me :-)
I will be starting in Ashurst and "moving on" from there. If i do run out of miles then the I.O.W would be a option for me.
I may go slow, but I am happy
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Deevoy88 wrote:
simonhill wrote:I don't understand this post. It says tour in the New Forest for two weeks. For me touring is essentially about moving on.

Isle of Wight is good for a few days, but that stil leaves plenty of time to continue the tour. Are you moving on or looking for a static base?

Hi
Yes i do agree that two weeks is a long time for the new forest however this would be my first tour after being hit by a lorry two years ago. I have a artificial knee, 4 fused vertebrae in my back and also metal holding my right arm together from wrist to elbow. I am in no hurry trust me :-)
I will be starting in Ashurst and "moving on" from there. If i do run out of miles then the I.O.W would be a option for me.

Hey! Respect for being back on the saddle. Enjoy your tour. Have you got a back up plan/escape route in case the aches and pains kick in?
Deevoy88

Post by Deevoy88 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Deevoy88 wrote:

Hi

Hey! Respect for being back on the saddle. Enjoy your tour. Have you got a back up plan/escape route in case the aches and pains kick in?

Cheers mate. Yeah lucky for me i have a very understanding wife who has said she would get me if it gets too much :-) i am very determined though and have given myself a long time to do not alot of miles really. So hopefully pains and aches will not hinder me. Will obviously keep updating the forum :-)
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Deevoy88 wrote:Yes i do agree that two weeks is a long time for the new forest however this would be my first tour after being hit by a lorry two years ago. I have a artificial knee, 4 fused vertebrae in my back and also metal holding my right arm together from wrist to elbow. I am in no hurry trust me :-)

I have great respect for you. Best of luck and hope it all goes well.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Deevoy88 wrote:
Hi

Well that explains it. I think I would be struggling with a 2 week tour of Canvey Island after that.

Good luck and congratulations for getting back on the bike.

PS I think the NF is a great place.
JBB

Post by JBB »

Des49 wrote:
Deevoy88 wrote:Yes i do agree that two weeks is a long time for the new forest however this would be my first tour after being hit by a lorry two years ago. I have a artificial knee, 4 fused vertebrae in my back and also metal holding my right arm together from wrist to elbow. I am in no hurry trust me :-)

If you get stuck at all; bad weather, repairs etc feel free to contact me. We live on the northern edge of the Forest. I too have been hit by a truck - far less physical damge but it's taken a long time to recover mentally. Drop me a PM and I'll happily pass on address and phone numbers.

On a happier note I'll start making a list of places you might like!
Deevoy88

Post by Deevoy88 »

JBB wrote:
Des49 wrote:

If you get stuck at all; bad weather, repairs etc feel free to contact me. We live on the northern edge of the Forest. I too have been hit by a truck - far less physical damge but it's taken a long time to recover mentally. Drop me a PM and I'll happily pass on address and phone numbers.

On a happier note I'll start making a list of places you might like!

Oh that would be great thanks. Yea for a while everytime out and about i heard sqweeking brakes i would tense and freak. Was in hospital for about 3 months, half of that was unconscious.
But a list of good places would be great though. Thanks alot.