Touring in Sweden

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew549

Touring in Sweden

Post by andrew549 »

I'm looking at going touring in Sweden starting in Gothenberg and heading north towards the North Cape, I was planning on starting at the end of May and was wanting any advice on routes in particular as in the south there seem to be quite a lot of roads but heading further north it looks like either the coast road or through the centre of Sweden and unsure as to which would be best or if there are any long distance cycle paths that go the right way.

I'm planning on mostly wild camping where possible and any advice on how much touring in Sweden costs roughly would be great.

Thanks
Andy
Vorpal

Re: Touring in Sweden

Post by Vorpal »

http://www.svenska-cykelsallskapet.se/p ... 08156.html
https://swedenbybike.com/
A list of links relating to cycle touring, mostly in Swedish, but there's always Google translate ;) http://www.cykelframjandet.se/Cykelfr%C ... urism.aspx

Wild camping is relatively easy in Sweden. There is allemannsretten / offentlig rätt which is a right of public access and means that you can camp nearly anywhere, as long as you observe certain rules:
-do not camp on land that is cultivated or grazed
-do not camp within 150 m of a dwelling (the rule of thumb is out of sight, but that isn't always possible on uneven ground)
-be careful with fire, and do not light ground fires when a ban is in place (local authorities can impose these, so if it seems dry, it's best to check the rules with tourist information)
-clean up after yourself (leave it as you found it)
-do not stay too long in one place (I'm not aware that there is anything definitie on this. A few days ia okay. A few weeks is not)

edit: just saw you are planning to go in May.... in the north, mountain passes may not yet be open in May, so check before you travel, or consider alternate routes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

Thanks for the information and links, I was planning on starting about 20th May as I was then going to head down through Norway afterwards so wanted to start early is in the season for good enough weather for the rest of the trip.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The weather is often very good in southern Sweden and Norway in May, but there is a risk that some roads will not be open further north and in the mountains. http://www.visitnorway.com/en/about-nor ... ng-winter/ shows the main roads that close in Norway. I imagine there is something similar for Sweden. When the roads open in in srping / summer depends upon the weather. I was over Aurland fjell on midsummer day last year and there was quite a lot of snow up there still.

The other things is that while it might be 25 degrees on a nice day in May in Gothenburg or Oslo, winter conditions may still prevail on a high mountain road, even if it's open. The temperature could well be below zero, and all possible camping spots snow covered.

It's fine if you are prepared for it, and check in advance that your route is open.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I hadn't even really thought that it may still be quite cold in the north in May and June fortunately the route I was looking at taking through Sweden never goes particularly high but through Norway it goes much higher but in July so hopefully everything will be open and most of the snow gone by then. I need to have a look for what roads are closed in Sweden in the winter and when they open.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The warmest weather in the coldest parts of Norway and Sweden is usually in July and August. Last year in May, the average temperature at Nordkapp was only 3.5 C.

Weather statistics are available for most weather data collection points in Norway from yr.no http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Finnmark/ ... stics.html
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

Thanks for the weather info, I might think about changing dates for better weather.

Do you have any advice on which airline to choose I was looking at either BA or SAS as both seem to have reasonable bike policies. Also do you have any rough guide on price of food in Sweden or Norway as I understand that it can be quite expensive.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is both more variety of food available in Sweden than Norway, and better prices. Sweden is part of the EU, so most things that are available elsewhere are generally available in Sweden. Differences in prices are mainly down to transport costs. Local is obviously cheaper. The Norwegian market, though is heavily controlled by the government.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86142 is mostly about food in Norway.

One thing to add to that thread... If you are here in summer, it's often possible to buy good, local food from farms, roadside stands, and small groceries. It is especially common to sell fruit (cherries, plums, strawberries, raspberries) from roadside stands, but other local produce is also sold in this way. Otherwise, look for farms with signs out (if they have opening hours on a sign, they sell stuff), and small, independent shops in towns and villages.

The only airline I have flown between the UK and Norway with my bicycle was BA. I had very good service from them. I posted this review a couple of years ago viewtopic.php?f=18&t=63298

Lots of people use Norwegian with no problems, but they fly to and from Gatwick, which has given some people difficulty with baggage requirements.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53378&p=803103
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

In 2013 I found Sweden to be the second most expensive country in mainland Europe (after Norway). Despite wild-camping nearly the whole time, I still spent £20 per day on food, and that was only the most basic supermarket grub (no meals or takeaways and no alcohol). If your budget can stretch to alcohol then supermarkets only sell lager up to 3.5%. If you want something worth drinking then you have to go to a special shop (sometimes attached to the supermarket) but they close at 6pm.

If you decide you want a shower and head to a campsite, they were all around £20 for one man/one tent and many of them insisted that you bought a £10 membership card to gain permission to pay to sleep in their fields (when the surrounding forests are free). The card gives you no other benefits by the way.

Sweden was one of the few countries (along with Finland, Norway and, to some extent, Switzerland) in which I found that the expense of being there negatively impacted my ride.

But, whatever, have a great trip!
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
Nigel Laverick

Post by Nigel Laverick »

I was in Norway this June and met cyclists who had come through Sweden. They were not impressed with the scenery , they had been badly bitten by mossies and one couple were not impressed by the driving. I met one Dutch campervaner who had set off from N Cape through Sweden and found it so utterly dull that he had turned round and returned through Norway. NL
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The scenery isn't impressive, but it is pretty. I guess if they were expecting snow-capped mountains and majestic panoramas, they were likely to be disappointed, but that's like riding through Suffolk and expecting the Peak District. There is a bit of sameness to it after a while. It's rolling hils, forest and farms, some some big hils and high moorland, lots of lakes; nothing majestic, occasionally bleak, but with it's own beauty.
It's true that later in the year, the mozzies are fierce; almost as soon as it warms up to be nice. All of the central part of Norway/Sweden (east of the Norwegian mountains) is hills interspersed with lakes, and so lots of mosquitos.

It might be a reason to go earlier in the year and put up with the cold. But I don't think it is a reason to miss out Sweden altogether.
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I was hoping that Sweden would be a bit cheaper than that does anyone else have any experience on how much food costs when touring in Sweden. I was guessing that the mozzies would be bad the later in the summer I go and I think I would rather me a bit colder than being attacked my mozzies everyday.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Numbeo can give the cost of comparison goods for most countries http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... try=Sweden
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I'm planning on taking a gas stove with me and was wandering how easy it is to get hold of gas canisters and what sort of shops tend to stock them along with what types of cylinders that are most common.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sweden http://www.pricerunner.se/sp/primus-gas.html

Norway https://www.gsport.no/friluft/kokeutstyr-mat/gassbokser

Gas can be purchased at most sporting goods shops and outfitters. I wouldn't depend on buying it at campgrounds and things, though you might find that petrol stations in popular camping areas carry it. Camping sites with facilities often have kitchens, so cooking gas isn't needed.