Tour de Isle of Wight - 1-4 May 2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I had booked off a long weekend from mid-morning on Friday 1st of May to Monday evening the 4th of May to go up to Clitheroe for a festival, but for a number of reasons I've moved the goal-posts and I'm now going to spend it on The Isle of Wight touring with my bike and tent. I'm not a fan of B&Bs if the weather is good so I'll be camping.

I plan to park my pick-up somewhere in the New Forest and cycle into Lymington to get a ferry across to Yarmouth and then cycle round in a clockwise direction. I'll stay 3 nights and cycle and see the sights during the day.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm after advice on leaving my vehicle in the New Forest, campsites, points of interest, routes, beer and cider.

Many thanks in advance........hc
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 22 Jan 2015, 9:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow Loris

Re: Isle of Wight - Beginning of May 2015

Post by Slow Loris »

I'm hoping to go this spring, too, as I wasn't able to last year - wave if you see a very small, red Thorn :) .This campsite seems to be very accommodating to backpackers, although I haven't stayed there yet: http://www.heathfieldcamping.co.uk/index.php I called them last year and they have a separate field for small tents at reasonable rates with no booking required.

If there are any cider recommendations, I'd be interested :mrgreen: .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

There is a sign posted route around the island bit hilly but only about 100 k . Its pretty easy to do in a day and see a few sites as well at that time of year . New forest itself is very anticycling
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Slow Loris wrote:I'm hoping to go this spring, too, as I wasn't able to last year - wave if you see a very small, red Thorn :) .This campsite seems to be very accommodating to backpackers, although I haven't stayed there yet: http://www.heathfieldcamping.co.uk/index.php I called them last year and they have a separate field for small tents at reasonable rates with no booking required.

If there are any cider recommendations, I'd be interested :mrgreen: .

Thanking you :D Yes and wave if you see a small burgundy Surly DT. Pilot with beard and long hair. Dysfunctional looking. Heathfield might be an option for my last night. Cider? A neighbour mentioned http://www.sharonorchard.com (Ryde)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

DaveGos wrote:There is a sign posted route around the island bit hilly but only about 100 k . Its pretty easy to do in a day and see a few sites as well at that time of year . New forest itself is very anticycling

Thanks Dave. I'm planning on leaving my vehicle in a quiet village and shooting down to the ferry port. Not planning on a long cycle through the NF. I visit the NF in the Summer a fair bit chasing dragonflies & butterflies...........hc
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

DaveGos wrote:There is a sign posted route around the island bit hilly but only about 100 k . Its pretty easy to do in a day and see a few sites as well at that time of year . New forest itself is very anticycling

The New Forest has a few rabid antisocial muppets, but as a whole it is very cycle friendly...

A fe weeks ago I was out on the Kettwiesel and following a BMW 4x4 down a narrow winding road

Came to a junction, he pulled over and waved me on as "I would be faster than him on a road like this"

That is a far more typical experience of the New Forest
pedalsheep

Re: Tour de Isle of Wight - 1-4 May 2015

Post by pedalsheep »

Your visit will coincide with the IOW Randonnee on 3rd May
http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

This is a brilliant free event that attracts almost 2000 cyclists. As a member of the organising club I may be slightly biased :D but I'd definitely put it on your 'to do' list.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pedalsheep wrote:Your visit will coincide with the IOW Randonnee on 3rd May

This is a brilliant free event that attracts almost 2000 cyclists. As a member of the organising club I may be slightly biased :D but I'd definitely put it on your 'to do' list.

Thanks for the heads up [emoji1] That'll be good spectating. I'll be down on the south west coast on Sunday I think. I'll be doing very low mileage and speed and probably eating crab sandwiches and supping something wet. Holiday mode...hc
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pedalsheep wrote:Your visit will coincide with the IOW Randonnee on 3rd May

You're not biased. It's a brilliant event even when the weather isn't.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Picked up my OS map today. Looking forward to it. Anyone know what the weather's doing on that weekend? [emoji274]
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

It's been about 17 years since I was last on the IoW. Considering there's possibly going to be 2000+ cyclists doing their randonnée what will the campsites be like?

Play safe and book or throw caution to the wind and wing it? I imagine this little place isn't going to let wild campers get away with it [emoji102]
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Heltor Chasca wrote:It's been about 17 years since I was last on the IoW. Considering there's possibly going to be 2000+ cyclists doing their randonnée what will the campsites be like?

Play safe and book or throw caution to the wind and wing it? I imagine this little place isn't going to let wild campers get away with it [emoji102]

I've never camped for it but one of the check points is on a campsite at Wootton Bridge and while busy it never seems crowded.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

The vast majority of cyclists doing the randonnee just come over for the day - you can start from any of the car ferry ports. There are plenty of campsites on the island and they are unlikely to be too busy in early May.

Are you sure I can't tempt you to the randonnee? Its a lovely relaxed event, almost entirely on quiet roads, run by cyclists for cyclists, no entry fee, lots of refreshment stops doing proper food at cheap prices (proceeds to the local schools or to local charities) and we always order good weather! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pedalsheep wrote:The vast majority of cyclists doing the randonnee just come over for the day - you can start from any of the car ferry ports. There are plenty of campsites on the island and they are unlikely to be too busy in early May.

Are you sure I can't tempt you to the randonnee? Its a lovely relaxed event, almost entirely on quiet roads, run by cyclists for cyclists, no entry fee, lots of refreshment stops doing proper food at cheap prices (proceeds to the local schools or to local charities) and we always order good weather! :D

[emoji4] I can tell it's a good event based purely on the tone of your post. A fine ambassador you are [emoji56].

My plan is to be a tourist this time round to see the sights and try out my Surly DT so I'll decline your challenge this time. Next year though if there's a 'tank class' for a Surly DTs I'll give you all a run for your money!

I'll chuck some of my beer fund into any kitties I pass too...hc
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Picked up my OS map today. Looking forward to it. Anyone know what the weather's doing on that weekend? [emoji274]

From experience

Brilliant weather with sunshine all day
Temperate weather, ideal for cycling
Freezing fog and high winds
Pouring rain
High winds, but otherwise fine

Having doe the Randonnee for a number of years... all of the above are possible