bikes on Europe trains

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beicmelyn

bikes on Europe trains

Post by beicmelyn »

I intend to travel by train to Siena from London to attend L'Eroica. super tight budget with the intention of camping somewhere close to Gaiole all with my aging CB which all things considering I'm not too keen on taking apart to bag up. Anyone have experiences like this? I'm guessing eurostar will be the more annoying.
whoof

Re: bikes on Europe trains

Post by whoof »

I caught some local trains in the region Piombino to Pisa. just bought a ticket for me and the bike wheeled it on it was very good value. However, I got to and from Pisa with Easyjet. Also very simple, took off the wheels and pedals turned the bars around ( on my old CB) and put it in a cardboard box
pal

Post by pal »

The best way to find a bike-friendly train route is to use the timetables on the bahn.co.uk website: tick the option for 'bicycle carriage required', and it will filter out the trains (mostly the high-speed ones) which won't take a bike (or will take only bagged bikes). The 'Man in Seat 61' website is a good source of information on bicycle rules on the various European railways (and advice on how to go about reserving a bike space).

Taking a bike on Eurostar is actually straightforward, as long as you're heading to (or from) Paris or Brussels: you need to book a space (and pay £30), but the system works very efficiently. Details here: http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-in ... e-eurostar
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Taking a train is probably going to be quite a bit more expensive than flying, I am going to Pisa soon for 90 return with BA, that includes bike.