Dublin to Dingle Route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marybbt

Dublin to Dingle Route

Post by Marybbt »

Has anyone undertaken a Dublin to Dingle (via Connor Pass) tour?
We are a group of 16 friends ( Men and Women) planning to undertake this tour in September we are of average to good ability with age ranges 45 - 62. We have undertaken an annual long distance tour for last few years.
We have 4 days to complete the trip so need a fairly direct route but avoiding main roads. I have found route sections from various sources but not a complete route.
I have been to Dingle many times but in a car so appreciate the very narrow lanes may not be suitable for a large cycle group.

Would appreciate any advice about suitable routes.
jake

Re: Dublin to Dingle Route

Post by jake »

Does your starting point have to be Dublin? My concern would not be a large group cycling on quiet country roads but rather getting yourselves out of central Dublin and through the sprawling suburbs. Would somewhere on the SW outskirts (possibly with a rail station) be a better bet.
Lovely idea, by the way
Marybbt

Post by Marybbt »

Thanks for reply and sounds very sensible but we have to start at the Guinness brewery as we are calling the ride G2G- " Guinness to Gin" ...... There is a recommended Gin distillery in Dingle at the end. Sets the tone for the ride........
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

try looking at this for routes, particularly good for Navigating Dublins streets
http://cycle.travel/map

this should help with cycle paths and cycle friendly streets
Personally I wouldn't worry about Dublin. If you avoid Rush hour and cycle sensibly you will be oK. you need to head south toward Tallaght and then onto Rathcoole from there I am lost and depends what you want to see.

The problem with Dublin is you will want to stay, there is plenty to see, so you have to be bit blinkered and head out of the City otherwise you'll spend 5 days sampling "da guinness". It's my favorite city, haven't visited for a while, but it has a lot of fond memories. Some great pubs, fantastic people and its own sound, every pub seems to have live music
NUKe

Post by mcallaghan »

Just booked my flight.

July 23rd arrival in Manchester at 7AM. Return flight on the 5th of August.

Planning on spending roughly 2 full days in Cardiff at the end of riding, before taking a return-train to Chester.
ndmbike

Post by ndmbike »

Went from Dublin to Killarney last summer whilst doing the 5 peaks.

The biggest issue was accommodation. Not much in the Irish midlands.
The second was a fierce, slavering hound that chased me for 300m.

People were incredibly friendly and helpful.
I had planned a route but then ended up getting lost and making it up as I went along. I used http://cycle.travel/map to find a route and print out maps. They were ok to navigate with.
Minor roads were empty and drivers considerate.
I went roughly... Dublin, Tallaght, (camp in farmer's field) Kilcullen, Stradbally, Abbeyleix, Durrow, Urlingford (B+B), Thurles, Dundrum, Tipperary, Kilmallock (B+B), Kanturk, Rathmore and Killarney.

It is worth getting to Kanturk to visit Bob, and his fruit stall and his collection of bikes. It is home of the Kanturk Cycle club!
You can head West to Dingle from there without too much extra mileage.
Marybbt

Post by Marybbt »

Thanks for all the advice and tips