Touring in Norway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jakobpoffley

Re: Touring in Norway

Post by jakobpoffley »

Thank you very much, im probably going to ask in Trondheim tourist information tomorrow as well.
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

Am I right in understanding that at this time of year there is only one bus a day at 16:20 and you can only get as far as sortland and can only continue at 21:15 the next day?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

What that timetable shows is that there are 2 buses a day. At Bognes, the route splits, and you can choose to proceed either to Narvik or to Sortland same day. There are 4 buses a day from Sortland to Andenes, but since the evening bus from Fauske to Sortland arrives at nearly midnight, which is the one you'll be using if you want to travel same day you arrive at Fauske, you will have to stay overnight to proceed to Andenes. If you stay overnight at Fauske instead, you can travel from there to Andenes in one day.
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

iviehoff wrote:What that timetable shows is that there are 2 buses a day. At Bognes, the route splits, and you can choose to proceed either to Narvik or to Sortland same day. There are 4 buses a day from Sortland to Andenes, but since the evening bus from Fauske to Sortland arrives at nearly midnight, which is the one you'll be using if you want to travel same day you arrive at Fauske, you will have to stay overnight to proceed to Andenes. If you stay overnight at Fauske instead, you can travel from there to Andenes in one day.

Thank you for clarifying. Ive just realised where sortland actually is becuase I didn't realise that was the route the bus did. I might just cycle from sortland or what time would the first bus on Sunday morning get to andenes from sortland?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are two per day on the timetable. They go from Fauske station at 8:50 and 18:10. Look for the bus to 'Sortland' and change at the Sortland bus terminal.

I would check the schedule at tourist information, or ring 177 and check, though. If it's a popular tourist route, you should be okay. Otherwise, it's possible that they only run one per day (or even only one for the whole weekend) during the summer holiday period.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jakobpoffley wrote:Thank you for clarifying. Ive just realised where sortland actually is becuase I didn't realise that was the route the bus did. I might just cycle from sortland or what time would the first bus on Sunday morning get to andenes from sortland?

From Andenes to Sortland, there's only one bus on Sunday, and that goes at 15:10. http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictable ... 18-871.htm

But I see from that timetable that they mark the buses that don't go in the summer holidays, so you should be okay on the other route if you use it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pal

Post by pal »

The ride from Sortland to Andenes is a nice one, though! Pretty flat, and by the sea (or you can go the long way round via Bleik and try to spot some puffins on the way...)
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

pal wrote:The ride from Sortland to Andenes is a nice one, though! Pretty flat, and by the sea (or you can go the long way round via Bleik and try to spot some puffins on the way...)

I was going to just go south towards the ferry to bodø then cycle to mo I rana but I think that could be too long but if I get the train from bodø too short. Ive only got 4 and a half days so would only be able to do about 450km. Ive booked the train back from bodø but I guess I can get on the train anywhere on the line so that is why I was going to go to mo I rana. Any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vorpal wrote:
jakobpoffley wrote:Thank you for clarifying. Ive just realised where sortland actually is becuase I didn't realise that was the route the bus did. I might just cycle from sortland or what time would the first bus on Sunday morning get to andenes from sortland?

From Andenes to Sortland, there's only one bus on Sunday, and that goes at 15:10. http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictable ... 18-871.htm

But I see from that timetable that they mark the buses that don't go in the summer holidays, so you should be okay on the other route if you use it.

Sorry, I just relaised I did that the worng direction. But maybe you will cycle anyway?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

From Fauske, you can just cycle over to Bodø and get the ferry? Then ride up Lofoten, and take the bus when you don't want to ride anymore?

Otherwise, form Trondheim, you could head south on Atlanterhavsveien? Or are you planning to do that later?
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I got the train to Fauske then bus to Narvik, the bus is timed to meet the train but to go to Narvik you have to change buses part way although this was all announced on the bus. Might be worth getting the bus to Harstad as it also goes there and cutting a bit of distance and some of the busy roads as the section from Narvik round until the E6 splits off was quite busy at it takes all the traffic going North.
pal

Post by pal »

Or perhaps you could do an out and back loop from Bodo: cycle to Bodo from Fauske, then go north up the coast (via Kjerringoy, Tarnvik); take the boat over to Lofoten from Skutvik); then work your way back south down Lofoten, by as circuitous route as your time allows; and take the boat back to Bodo from Moskenes). I know Lofoten's a bit of a tourist trap (by Norwegian standards!), but it's so spectacular that it's worth spending a bit of time on (in my view!). nb, though, that the boat from Tarnvik to Nordfold only runs a couple of times a week: http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictable ... 18-553.htm
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

Weve decided to get the ferry to moskenes in fact we're on it right now. We'll probably be cycling to andanes then getting the bus back to fauske. I find it quite hard to understand the bus timetables so if someone would be able to tell me what time the buses go that we'd probably need to go on that would be amazing. Our train from fauske goes at 13:11 on Thursday the 30th.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jakobpoffley wrote:Weve decided to get the ferry to moskenes in fact we're on it right now. We'll probably be cycling to andanes then getting the bus back to fauske. I find it quite hard to understand the bus timetables so if someone would be able to tell me what time the buses go that we'd probably need to go on that would be amazing. Our train from fauske goes at 13:11 on Thursday the 30th.

You need to take the bus on Wednesday. The travel time with a change is almost 9 hours, so you should catch the 12:25 bus to Sortland bus terminal on Wednesday the 29th.
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

Vorpal wrote:
jakobpoffley wrote:Weve decided to get the ferry to moskenes in fact we're on it right now. We'll probably be cycling to andanes then getting the bus back to fauske. I find it quite hard to understand the bus timetables so if someone would be able to tell me what time the buses go that we'd probably need to go on that would be amazing. Our train from fauske goes at 13:11 on Thursday the 30th.

You need to take the bus on Wednesday. The travel time with a change is almost 9 hours, so you should catch the 12:25 bus to Sortland bus terminal on Wednesday the 29th.

Thank you for the reply. If we just got the bus from sortland would we still need to leave on Wednesday or is there a bus on Thursday morning?