Touring in Norway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew549

Re: Touring in Norway

Post by andrew549 »

I'm about to head over to Trondheim and was looking for an route suggestions that anyone may have I've got about 3 weeks free until I need to be back there, and was looking to go south of trondheim as I'm planning on heading north a afterwards, I don't mind getting a train back to Trondheim if needed.

I was initially thinking of roughly following the eurovelo 1 from Trondheim to Bergen and then linking it to EV12 to Oslo and then possibly getting the train north again depending on distance/ time. Although I'm open to any suggestions, route wise I quite like long alpine climbs and good scenery but have a strong dislike for spending endless hours cycling through forests so any routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

andrew549 wrote:I'm about to head over to Trondheim and was looking for an route suggestions that anyone may have I've got about 3 weeks free until I need to be back there, and was looking to go south of trondheim as I'm planning on heading north a afterwards, I don't mind getting a train back to Trondheim if needed.

I was initially thinking of roughly following the eurovelo 1 from Trondheim to Bergen and then linking it to EV12 to Oslo and then possibly getting the train north again depending on distance/ time. Although I'm open to any suggestions, route wise I quite like long alpine climbs and good scenery but have a strong dislike for spending endless hours cycling through forests so any routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Sounds good, I'm sure the people who have been helping me will help you too!
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

I've read all you've all said and it has been very helpful.

What I'm thinking of maybe doing now is doing the Rallarvegen for the normal route east to west to Flam then is it possible to get a ferry to Gudvangen? I'd then cycle to voss where i'd get a train to Bergen rather than cycling it. This also means i don't have the complications of trying to find my way into bergen without getting lost. I then thought i could either get the train back to Voss or cycle either of the routes suggested to voss where i'd cycle back to gudvangen, get the ferry back to flam then cycle up aurlansfjellet and beyond. This seems to be the best way to get Rallarvegen, Bergen and Aurlandsfjellet into my route but if there is a better way then please let me know.

I'm also unsure about getting out of oslo because my map is 1:400 000 so its not really detailed enough. Is there an easy route out (maybe a designated cycle route)? Would it be worth getting a more detailed map of that area? Then also what would be the most scenic and best route to get to Haugestol which is where i believe the Rallarsvegen route starts?

Just so you know i'll be in norway for 25 days now and my dad will be meeting me for the last week.

Thank you for all your help!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

andrew549 wrote:I'm about to head over to Trondheim and was looking for an route suggestions that anyone may have I've got about 3 weeks free until I need to be back there, and was looking to go south of trondheim as I'm planning on heading north a afterwards, I don't mind getting a train back to Trondheim if needed.

Thanks
Andy

I have not yet been to that part of Norway. But I have a dream to cycle Atlanterhavsveien http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/where-to- ... ntic-road/

So, if I were in Trondheim, and a had a few weeks with nothing to do but ride my bike, that's what I would start with. I'd probably take an island hopping route (maybe member Serbring to share his route from the west coast of Norway?) down to Bergen. There are ferries between many of the islands, and some pretty amazing scenery. From Bergen, I would use one of the routes discussed above. Along Hardangerfjord, or the National Cycle Route 4 from Bergen to Oslo (includes Rallarvegen).

Rallarvegen, as discussed above, is hard going west to east, but it's one of my favorite cycle routes, anywhere. It is unpaved, so there are some rough spots, but it's good camping and amazing scenery.

The only thing I can't promise is forest free routes. Many of the roads, especially in the mountains are clear. However, Norway is something like 75% forest, so it's a bit hard to avoid. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jakobpoffley wrote:What I'm thinking of maybe doing now is doing the Rallarvegen for the normal route east to west to Flam then is it possible to get a ferry to Gudvangen?
The ferry to Gudvangen is a nice trip, and I'm sure there would be no problems taking a bike.

jakobpoffley wrote:I'd then cycle to voss where i'd get a train to Bergen rather than cycling it. This also means i don't have the complications of trying to find my way into bergen without getting lost. I then thought i could either get the train back to Voss or cycle either of the routes suggested to voss where i'd cycle back to gudvangen, get the ferry back to flam then cycle up aurlansfjellet and beyond. This seems to be the best way to get Rallarvegen, Bergen and Aurlandsfjellet into my route but if there is a better way then please let me know.
There is also the National cycle route 4 to Bergen. I haven't used it, but check the link I put on Andrew's post or try Cycletourer's site.

jakobpoffley wrote:I'm also unsure about getting out of oslo because my map is 1:400 000 so its not really detailed enough. Is there an easy route out (maybe a designated cycle route)? Would it be worth getting a more detailed map of that area?
When you get to Oslo, go to the main tourist information point across from central station and ask for a cycle route map. They have a detailed map for Oslo with all the cycle routes on it, and it's absolutely brilliant. They are also, for the most part, well signposted, so once you are on a route, it's relatively easy to follow.

jakobpoffley wrote:Then also what would be the most scenic and best route to get to Haugestol which is where i believe the Rallarsvegen route starts?

Just so you know i'll be in norway for 25 days now and my dad will be meeting me for the last week.

Thank you for all your help!

There are a couple of different options. You can go northwest out of Oslo, either following national cycle route 4, you can go the same general direction on any road except the E16, say via Hønefoss, which is nice. I can recommend a couple of routes in that immediate area, but I have ridden there from Oslo. Or you can go west-southwest towards Asker and Drammen, and pick up the Numedal route. That's slightly longer, but I think it would be my choice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

Vorpal wrote: There is also the National cycle route 4 to Bergen. I haven't used it, but check the link I put on Andrew's post or try Cycletourer's site.

Is there an online map of all the national cycle routes?

Vorpal wrote: There are a couple of different options. You can go northwest out of Oslo, either following national cycle route 4, you can go the same general direction on any road except the E16, say via Hønefoss, which is nice. I can recommend a couple of routes in that immediate area, but I have ridden there from Oslo. Or you can go west-southwest towards Asker and Drammen, and pick up the Numedal route. That's slightly longer, but I think it would be my choice.

I'd probably do the Numedal route then as i think i will have plenty of time for the trip. Is it on roads or does it have tracks because i would prefer to stick to roads except for Rallarvegen? Would it be worth even going down the coast from Oslo a bit before heading north to Rallarvegen? If its not particularly great scenery then it's probably not worth it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jakobpoffley wrote:Is there an online map of all the national cycle routes?

Yes, but... it's not really very good.

There's one here http://www.cyclingnorway.no/en/national-cycle-routes/ but the zoom capability is limited. It's alright if you have another map of Norway to look at alongside it, so you can see where stuff actually is.

Cycletourer's website has a really good summary of the information that is available http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/norway.shtml

jakobpoffley wrote:I'd probably do the Numedal route then as i think i will have plenty of time for the trip. Is it on roads or does it have tracks because i would prefer to stick to roads except for Rallarvegen? Would it be worth even going down the coast from Oslo a bit before heading north to Rallarvegen? If its not particularly great scenery then it's probably not worth it.
Compared to the great, longs fjords that you will see in the west of Norway? I wouldn't say it's impressive. But Norway is a beautiful country with different aspects in different regions. If you go down to Horten (between Oslo, and Larvik, the beginning of the Numedal route), there are Viking burial mounds and a nice historic centre. http://midgardsenteret.no/en/

There are also lots of museums and things in Oslo http://www.visitoslo.com/en/

If things like that don't interest you, then, it's just pIeasant scenery. I recommend the Numedal route, because up the valley from Kongsberg to Geilo does have impressive scenery, and of a completely different sort than you will encounter on the western fjords. Getting there? It's mostly city between Oslo and Kongsberg, unless you do as you suggested and follow Oslofjord southward for a while. Mostly city has it's own interest, and it's not very much like it would be in the UK. But you have plenty of choice. And Google Earth works just fine for most roads in the south of Norway, so you can use that to see a little of what you might cycle through and past either way.
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

Thanks for the suggestions I've just done the Atlantic Road today and would recommend it, even today with changeable weather it was spectacular and well worth doing.

I'm currently heading south towards Bergen but not quite sure what do to once there, I don't think I'm going to go over the Rallarvegen as there still seems to be quite alot of snow about even fairly low down although I might come back and do it later in the summer when it's warmed a bit.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You could follow the coast southward to Kristiansand? There are nice routes along the coast from Kristiansand up to Oslo, anyway. And the coast from Kristiansand to Oslo has a reputation for having the best weather in Norway.

I find that the minor roads in the south are nice for cycling. I look for Fv roads when I can. Avoid the E39, though there are some places where the parallel cycle path is okay.

Schools let out here in a couple of weeks, so roads going to tourist desinations will get busier.

I haven't done so much cycling in the southwest, though I have done some. It doesn't have the stunning scenery of the fjords; it's coast, rolling hills and farmland for the most part.

There are interesting things here and there, if you want to see tourist sites: stave churches, castle ruins, viking sites such as Avaldsnes north of Stavanger, or Midgard Historisk Senter near Tønsberg.

Tønsberg is a nice town, and is the home port of Saga Oseberg, a reproduction viking ship. It's possible for the public to get chances at rowing Saga Oseberg.

I quite fancy doing a tour based on stave churches some time, but I haven't done any planning towards it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are quite a few festivals in Norway during the summer, too. There is a partial list http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/what-to-d ... in-norway/

There are a number of Viking festivals and local festivals that don't make that list. Strawberry season is soon. Strawberries grow well in a number of places in Norway, and many of them have strawberry festivals. http://www.jordbaereventyret.no/index.html is just one example.
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

Thanks for the information on what there is to see and the festivals, it also explains why I've started to see so many strawberries in the shops.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get post sent to a post office or if there is another way to get post sent out as I have no fixed address.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

andrew549 wrote:Thanks for the information on what there is to see and the festivals, it also explains why I've started to see so many strawberries in the shops.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get post sent to a post office or if there is another way to get post sent out as I have no fixed address.

I believe that you can have post sent for collection to any post office in Norway. I would contact Posten http://www.posten.no/en/home You have to pick it up within two weeks, though it can be held longer for a fee.
jakobpoffley

Post by jakobpoffley »

So my main choices for getting out of olso are either going south to larvik and then going up the nummedal or meeting the numedal route in Kongsberg? I'll have to think about that and decide.

I'll probably stay in a hostel for two nights in oslo once i arrive, anyone got any recommendations?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You can also go north - northwest out of Oslo on the national cycle route 4, or make your own route via Hønefoss, but you will miss out the Numedal route.

Actually going down to Drammen and following the river valleys to Kongsberg might be a good way to start a Norwegian tour. It's relatively flat for Norway. The scenery isn't amazing, but it's nice, and there are some nice bits and a couple of places where you can see amazing scenery a little out fo the way :D
khain

Post by khain »

I managed to cycle north out of Oslo to Hoenefoss using private roads through the forest. You don't have to pay on a bike. It wasn't too rough but very difficult to navigate. If you have detailed maps on your phone and GPS it shouldn't be too bad. It wasn't the most scenic route mind you.