It makes me want to tour there again .....

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pete75

It makes me want to tour there again .....

Post by pete75 »

Short 1953 film on Northumberland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taatdbeIZH4 Best stretch of coastline in any county...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Re: It makes me want to tour there again .....

Post by mercalia »

Old films like that have a strange attraction. an Olde World feel ( now ) Similar film style to "Canterbury Tales" made during the war that shows of a part of Kent and deal with US/UK relations and the glueman who put glue into girls hair to keep them on the straight and narrow :? . But The places depicted once current are now 60 years ago part of history. No more charabangs ( wow thats the first time in probably 50 years or so I have used that term, I had to confirm its spelling :lol: ). Just the lorrys and dust. But atleast some of the countryside is almost eternal?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The motorised vehicles have changed, but there are rural areas of the north of England where the roads are still mostly quiet and things seem largely as they were half a century ago.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:Old films like that have a strange attraction. an Olde World feel ( now ) Similar film style to "Canterbury Tales" made during the war that shows of a part of Kent and deal with US/UK relations and the glueman who put glue into girls hair to keep them on the straight and narrow :? . But The places depicted once current are now 60 years ago part of history. No more charabangs ( wow thats the first time in probably 50 years or so I have used that term, I had to confirm its spelling :lol: ). Just the lorrys and dust. But atleast some of the countryside is almost eternal?

Powell and Pressburger, who between them wrote and directed A Canterbury Tale, greatly influenced most British film makers.

Places like Dunstanburgh and Craster haven't changed much.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We had a few days in Northumberland in September and visited lots of the places shown in the film. I'm hoping to do the Coast and castles by bike this coming year.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote: No more charabangs ( wow thats the first time in probably 50 years or so I have used that term, I had to confirm its spelling :lol: ).

and you still got it wrong, its actually charabanc as any bus enthusiast will tell you! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:
mercalia wrote: No more charabangs ( wow thats the first time in probably 50 years or so I have used that term, I had to confirm its spelling :lol: ).

and you still got it wrong, its actually charabanc as any bus enthusiast will tell you! :lol:

Now if you're being pedantic it's actually char-à-banc :roll:
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

pwa wrote:The motorised vehicles have changed, but there are rural areas of the north of England where the roads are still mostly quiet and things seem largely as they were half a century ago.

Now I need to know where this is. I ride out with the club in lancashire, Yorkshire and Cheshire and we still meet a lot of traffic on Sundays. It's a rare lane where we can ride in peace.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bigjim

I had a very pleasant ride up to the Tan Hill Inn from Reith (Yorkshire Dales) in July, meeting only the odd bit of farm traffic along the way. Only 12 miles or so, but very nice. And a nice pub lunch at the top!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

foxyrider wrote:

I think charabangs is also correct. 8) I am not the only one to use that. do a google. lots. Yours is a French literal? Has nothing to do with what "experts" say it should be! maybe colloguial.

eg http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/733fc845-ffa8-4851-936a-b6a74a72a3be

The Uk govt cant be wrong can it?

On the other hand maybe yes - How do u pronounce Lowestoft - the BBC would have it "Low est toft". No it aint its "Lowesss tirf".( more or less no "t" at end ) And the old english maps support that - "Lestoft". Cultural Imperialism at work. Quite a few places in that part of the world eg how about "Happisburgh" any one? "Haze brr" I think?