bicycle travellers looking to volunteer around europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
kd1990

bicycle travellers looking to volunteer around europe

Post by kd1990 »

Hi all,

A friend and i are going to be setting off to europe from the U.K by bicycle approaching summer time, we are wondering how to go about finding places to volunteer and exhange our hard work and labour for food and somewhere to camp.

We have searched workaway.info which is a great site but the 30 euro fee to contact people to work for free is beyond baffiling to us!

is there any free alternatives or any useful advice someone could recommend?

We are planning to travel for aslong as possible!

Peace and Love!

KD + AJ
Graham

Re: bicycle travellers looking to volunteer around europe

Post by Graham »

Hello & welcome.

You may find this topic of interest . . . .
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45356&p=369844&hilit=woofing#p369844

Do be aware though that you cannot really "borrow" another persons login to access some of these opportunities.
You have to build up a reputation on your own account.
Look at it as an investment rather than a cost . . .. . the life experience is well worth it !
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

The Workaway fee is for two years membership. That's 15 euros per year which is the cost of an average hostel or south of France campsite for one night.

I worked on an excellent Donkey Sanctuary in northern Spain via Workaway. It was an outstanding experience where I got free food and accommodation. Well worth the joining fee.

How do you think Workaway makes a living, if not through membership?
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

We've had 'Workaways' staying with us several times and it's a mutually beneficial thing (that's the idea of course!).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for woofing. Great ethical fun. Life affirming stuff...hc
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Workaway is worth the fee. I've had my money's worth and some great experiences, especially in France and Rabat. Just be careful of those that look to make you work full time and use it instead of getting employees. The placement should be mutually beneficial. Had one person in Portugal expect me to work 8 hours a day 6 days a week. I erm, declined their placement. It pays to find out what and how much is expected beforehand as some don't stick to the guidelines. :-)

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gplhl wrote:Workaway is worth the fee. I've had my money's worth and some great experiences, especially in France and Rabat. Just be careful of those that look to make you work full time and use it instead of getting employees. The placement should be mutually beneficial. Had one person in Portugal expect me to work 8 hours a day 6 days a week. I erm, declined their placement. It pays to find out what and how much is expected beforehand as some don't stick to the guidelines. :-)

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk

A worthy post Gary to point out to those starting out their travels. Now I'm 40 I'm more wary. I work for someone every 2 weeks for 3 hours and charge them full rates. I look after the lawns, herbaceous borders and herb garden and sometimes the fruit garden. When in conversation with the landowner about WWOOFERS he mentioned that he would only take on those who would do a full day's work 6 days a week. Fine if you are gainfully employed but when you are young, travelling around the World to take in the sites and sounds that defeats the object. The upshot of it is: in 2 years I've never seen a WWOOFER on their property yet!
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Heltor, I tried to politely explain the guidelines to the Portuguese couple, also explaining that if I was going to work that many hours, I'd not see the area, work far more than the value of food/accommodation, the type of work they were offering had little "experience" value I could offset against the hours and that I'd be better off working an extra week in the UK in my (old) profession which'd give me enough money to tour for a couple of months using backpackers.

Now if the job had been litter picking on a topless female only club 18-30 beach, I'd have snapped up their offer.. It wasn't....

That said I still reckon workaways great and will definitely keep using it. The couple in France were so nice they invited me back for a weeks holiday next year and they are now very good friends :-)

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk