Thailand 2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DJF

Thailand 2015

Post by DJF »

Flying into Bangkok on July 15th for a 5 week cycle tour around Thailand, a bit rainy but looking forward to it.

Has anyone cycled from airport into Bangkok avoiding the major roads?

We will then be heading North up to Kanchanaburi beofe heading further North to Chiang Mai.

Would be really useful to know of any routes that may have already been done but also good place to stay in Bangkok for a day or two before heading North.

Thanks.

Dean and Jane
Fahradd Manufaktur TX400
simonhill

Re: Thailand 2015

Post by simonhill »

If I were you I would forget cycling out of the airport. I presume you are flying into Suvarnabhumi airport, which is about 25kms east of the city centre. The main roads are busy and often bikes are banned, the smaller roads would be a challenge to follow. Not to mention jet lag and climate shock.

For about 400 baht (£8) you can get an estate style taxi that will take 2 bikes and you.

I and many other cyclists stay in the Baan Sabai which is near Khoa San Rd, but not in it. They have a covered inside courtyard where you can leave your bike.

I like Kanchanaburi and the surrounding area, but the ride up to Chiang Mai is a bit flat and tedious.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have to agree with Simon regarding the airport don't attempt to ride into the city. I came out of the airport just as a guy was unloading some bikes from a pickup, they belonged to some English cyclists on the way home. The driver offered me a ride back into the city for a few Bahts, maybe you could be as lucky.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
DJF

Post by DJF »

Thanks for the info, will definitely look at the taxi option. We have read some bad reviews about Baan Sabai and numerous thefts of money, has this changed.

At 49 years old, flat is good to start with :D

Cheers
Fahradd Manufaktur TX400
shane

Post by shane »

I quite enjoyed the " Mae Hong son loop" . A bit steep in places but pretty, it will be all paved by now too.

If coming from the south you'll get a little taste a toerist free zone. By the time you're about ready for fatty food and 7/11 again you'll arrive in Mae hong son :D

>Poorly written trip report...<
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have stayed in the Baan Sabai tens of times and never had a problem. The good safe bike storage is fairly high up my list, but I have always found the place very clean, safe and good value. I pay 350 bhat ( £7) for a double with shared clean bath.

I have just read TripAdvisor and there are lots of negative posts.

I am old school and have been travelling in Asia for over 30 years and don't leave large sums of money in my room, I always carry my (very) valuables with me. Also, it seems that almost all the thefts are from the lockers.

These are flimsy steel lockers and it is possible that the night staff may have stolen the stuff. However, each locker has a pair of loops for your own padlock, but it seems that most people don't use one. I think this is a bit naive, assuming the flimsy lock on the locker to be adequate security for hundreds of dollars.

Most of the reviews do say the place is clean and good value, you just need to take care, like you have to do in any hotel on your travels. It is a budget place and they don't give towels etc in the cheaper rooms. What do people expect? They do give toilet paper and soap.

Having said that, there are hundreds of cheap hotels in Bkk, I just choose to use the Baan Sabai, because I like the place and am happy with the staff and have never had a problem with them. They also take and honour email bookings.

Re routes, etc.. The pedal to Kanchi from Bkk is easy once out of the urban sprawl.

From Kanchi a good onward route is from Kanchi to the Three Pagodas Pass, folowing the route of the (so called) Death Railway. This is a 3 day ride, returning by the same route, so using the bus one way is a good idea. You can get a bus in Kanchi to Sangkhlaburi. From there you can do a half day ride to border before the 3 day ride back to Kanchi.

Edit: The Jolly Frog Backpackers is a great place to stay in Kanchi. Not really a backpackers, but good rooms around a large garden next to River Kwai.
DJF

Post by DJF »

Thanks all for you replies and the info you provided, very much appreciated.
Fahradd Manufaktur TX400
V4281051

Post by V4281051 »

You can get the train to Kanchanaburi ..You need to go to Bangkok Noi railway station . A tuk tuk is about the best way to get there..Tie your bike on the back..Train will take your bike no problem..
Lots of ways to get to Chiang Mai..from Kanchanaburi go to Suphan Buri..north to Nakhon Sawan..head north to Pichit and then
to Phitsunalok..From there head to Sukhothai..and then north towards Lampang..Do not go to Uttaradit and then north..The road is busy and not very wide..Much better to go north from Sukhothai..visit old ruins..
Hilly towards Lampang..Then head to Lamphun ..visit the elephant hospital near Lampang..From Lamphun head to CM..
Riding on the main highway from Suphan Buri is quick but boring..Get a good map and take the back roads..Chances are you will always find a resort/bungalow/hotel to stay in..
If you get chance go out with the Chiang Mai sunday cycling club..meet 7am at Thapae Gate..100 cyclists sometimes..
You will do this ride easily in 2 weeks..
If you want another route get the train to Ayuthyya ..about 50k north of Bangkok..head to Lopburi and then Uthai Thani and Nakhon Sawan..and join suggested route..
You can take a bike on any 3rd class train but not second or first or express train..
You can fly back from CM to Bangkok if you wish..Send your bike by cargo Air Asia if you wish or box it up and take as luggage..
Stay out of big cities if possible..leave them early ..say 5am to 6 am and ride till 11am and try and finish for the day ..Treat every Thai driver with caution..Wear long sleeve shirts..Wear a bandana under your helmet..and long shorts..
Could be quite wet in July August..bring a waterproof!
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

Off topic but interesting all the same.

I've just come back from Myanmar (Burma) where an expat told me that a while back bicycles or anything on two wheels (scooters,mopeds,etc) had been banned in the country.
Apparently there was an attempt on a General's life by some characters on a motorbike so he banned anything on two wheels from the country. There are quite a few trike bike taxis (three wheels, thats all right).
There are a few 'daring' people on bikes in Yangon and quite a few out into the rural areas.
Needless to say Yangon is one big traffic jam!

Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!