Holland cycle route info

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mediumbird

Holland cycle route info

Post by mediumbird »

Hi. Been thinking about a short cycle tour of Holland, starting and finishing in Ijmuiden(where the Newcastle ferry gets in). Trouble is, I have never been before and have no idea what is worth going to see/do/where to stay etc and was wondering whether anyone on this forum has done something similar or can advise? There will be 4 of us and the most unfit doesn't want to do more than 30 miles(40 at a push) each day. We would arrive in by ferry on a Sunday morning and would plan to spend the last day in Amsterdam-so about 5 days cycling. I have had a look at the myriad of cycle route on the various maps and once we have a plan of where to go, then mapping it should be pretty straightforward.....(I have a Garmin with turn by turn direction). Also, not planning to camp so would need to have access to hostels/B&B's or hotels(i.e. not too far off the beaten path!)
I appreciate I am asking a lot, but, unless you ask......:-) Even if it is just info on a part of the country to go see(like the flood protection barrier you can cycle on), then I can build a route. Probably happy with day 1 heading down the North Sea cycle route, but then....?

Thanks
MockCyclist

Re: Holland cycle route info

Post by MockCyclist »

A very pleasant circular route could be drawn, take in Zaandam, Zaandijk (museum and fascinating working wind sawmill) , across to the historic villages of Monnickendam, Volendam, Hoorn, Enkhuizen (village museum), then back round via Alkmaar.
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Thanks for that info. Will have a look at those places. Have spent the evening surfing cycling holidays to Holland. My brain now hurts.......!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

The feits something or other does b&b details for cyclists. There's a book with details. You need to give them 24 hours notice so a little like warm showers but paid for. We didn't have any problem finding rooms though in small hotels etc when we were there.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Never been touring in Holland but we have done around 20 day rides on different holidays.

Try this website to start;

http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/en/onl ... te-planner

and this one; http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/holland.shtml

You won't need your Garmin. The Dutch network of cycle paths has spectacularly good signage, long distance and local routes have maps at intersections which show the route, the other nearby routes and settlements. Cafes are friendly and (mostly) the staff speak English. Local tourist information offices will sometimes have free maps and if you want to buy a cycling specific maps these are available at the TI offices or you can buy them (at greater cost) on line in the UK.

If I can get the photo's I have downsized to fit on this forum I will upload some for you. Never stayed in B&B's in Holland but I have heard very good reports.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Here's the cyclsits b&b link.

I think you contact them and they send the book and them you send them a donation.

http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/nl/

Edit it looks like they've uodated it to be online but you still need to make a donation- there's an english version if you look top right on the webpage.

Edit edit. Don't buy new loads of new cycle gear before you go, the cycle shops are common and excellent and good value in the Netherlands!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Lots of good info already - it's worth knowing (you may already have read this) that the Netherlands has a unique network of cycle routes with a unique mapping system. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you've got the hang of it, it's brilliant. Basically there are 1000's of maps around the country (known as knoopunts - which each have a number) which show the cycle routes and the other knoopunts in the area. Signs show the direction to the next knoopunt you want to get to. It's pretty reliable. I only had small-scale road maps and used this system almost entirely.
Sounds like it'll be a great trip, I'm envious! I had a fantastic 2 weeks there year before last, visited several of the places others have suggested.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

You may well have already seen this post! Makes a better job of explaining knoopunten than I did!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75021
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Thanks everyone for all the useful info. I have now spent many an internet hour route planning etc. The Dutch cycle system really looks amazing and am really looking forward to experience it and not have to share my riding experience with juggernauts and other road users that hate cyclists! As always this forum is a fantastic way of sharing the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share, that exists in the cycling community :D
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

....with a unique mapping system. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you've got the hang of it, it's brilliant

I was cycling across the Netherlands last summer (from Germany in the East to Amsterdam) and found the signage good. But sometimes very confusing because the 'knoopunten' numbers only apply to each district, and numbers in adjacent districts aren't always signposted. So I often found myself looking for, say, number 83 and it wasn't mentioned on the signpost. I had to resort to a printed map to find that point 83 was just over a bridge, only 100m away, but in the next district.
Because the numbers are used again separately in each district, I think I ended up going past at least three different points numbered 83!
Chris F, Cornwall
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I agree with Mockcyclist regarding the route. We toured NL last year using Stay Okay hostels and I have ridden there several times in the past and used Stay Okay many times. They are great accommodation. If visiting Amsterdam try the one at Vondel park. Very handy for the Leitseplein, Rijksmuseum and not far out of the centre 5 mins by bike. Amsterdam is easy to cycle around but take a good lock. Cycle theft is prevalent.

If riding up to Monikendam from Amsterdam you can catch a free ferry from behind the Central station across the harbour and head up through Landsmeer where there are bars and cafes and follow signs up to Monikendam via Broek in waterland and Zuiderwoude. It's a very picturesque area known as Waterland. Part of the route takes you along the dyke top next to the Ijsselmeer. Edam isn't too much further and has the very touristy but amusing Edam cheese auction. The town is pleasant and worth a visit.

The riding is easy and mostly away from traffic, there are plenty of bars and cafes in the towns and villages. It really is a great place to ride.
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

Don't know if I should use a new post but what I would like to know is if I take my ebike, does anyone know what I should do
regarding recharging the battery. I could take my own charger but unlikely plugs would fit. Would I need a European adaptor.
Thanks
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

BARRACH wrote:Don't know if I should use a new post but what I would like to know is if I take my ebike, does anyone know what I should do
regarding recharging the battery. I could take my own charger but unlikely plugs would fit. Would I need a European adaptor.
Thanks

You probably would do better to start a new post - you're more likely to get an answer.
― Peter Golkin
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

I don't know how it works. :D :D
But here is a map with chargingpoints.

But you will need an adapter for the European system, I think. (In some way the UK is a non-European country :lol: )
On the map there are mostly restaurants etc. but i think that almost every campsite has the possibility for charging nowadays.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Sorry, double-posting.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.