Whats your love story with your bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
shane

Re: Whats your love story with your bike?

Post by shane »

Im madly in love with Mr Hyde, But have started a love affair with something younger and in red :lol: (not to mention my Brompton being my bit on the side the last 2 years....)

http://www.shanecycles.com/dragons-bicycles-and-life/

Feel free to copy/paste your stories into the comments section, Its nice to read about some cyclists with passion for a change instead of all that gear talk 8)
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

mines a love-hate relationship especially when going up hills. My solution to ignoring the hill and my excess pounds is to swear continually at the bike...
You'll know its me by the steady stream of words until i get to the top...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I havent had any of my bikes longer than five years. I dont really love any of them but I do like them thats why I have them. I'm a bike tart, so when a better one comes along I will change without a second thought.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Saracen Terratrax Steel MTB, bought new 20+ years ago.
It was the first bike I bought with my own money.
Started as a commuter with slicks. I stopped commuting on it and it got parked. My other MTB got nicked 6 or 7 years ago, and I couldn't afford another bike, so it got dusted off. Retro mountain biking, Steel, fully rigid, canti brakes.
When I got a new MTB, it got parked I used it for pootling around. I decided to dip my toe in to touring, and it got converted and up graded to v-brakes, 9 spd and bull horn bars.
It has never let me down, but I have never been happy with the stem and handle bar height, and have adjusted it numerous times.
The geometry is probably all wrong as you can seen from the extra long steerer and extension, but I don't care.
I've had numerous saddles, until I found the B17 imperial.
The only original components left are the seat post and the bottle cage bolts.
I might get it repainted one day.
I bought a Croix de Fer recently, but I'll be touring on my trusty Saracen again later in the year.
It has been my fall back, my default, I'll never get rid of it.
My baby

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
shane

Post by shane »

@Neil, Thats quite interesting, I was looking at a bike in my dads shed last year(he hasn't cycled for 15 years) and thinking it would make an alright tourer, I remember doing a couple of day trips with it and him in the mid nineties. It was a blue Saracen.

I think my little brother(aged 33) is now using it to commute to work :D
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Neilo wrote:Saracen Terratrax Steel MTB, bought new 20+ years ago.
It was the first bike I bought with my own money.
Started as a commuter with slicks. I stopped commuting on it and it got parked. My other MTB got nicked 6 or 7 years ago, and I couldn't afford another bike, so it got dusted off. Retro mountain biking, Steel, fully rigid, canti brakes.
When I got a new MTB, it got parked I used it for pootling around. I decided to dip my toe in to touring, and it got converted and up graded to v-brakes, 9 spd and bull horn bars.
It has never let me down, but I have never been happy with the stem and handle bar height, and have adjusted it numerous times.
The geometry is probably all wrong as you can seen from the extra long steerer and extension, but I don't care.
I've had numerous saddles, until I found the B17 imperial.
The only original components left are the seat post and the bottle cage bolts.
I might get it repainted one day.
I bought a Croix de Fer recently, but I'll be touring on my trusty Saracen again later in the year.
It has been my fall back, my default, I'll never get rid of it.
My baby

Neil

I got bullhorn bars fairly late (due to a bad hand injury which is now fine). Everybody should get them for touring. They are far better than anything else. I like your bike. My setup is similar, though I've got it on a converted MTB and a Thorn
Raven Tour which is MY favourite ever bike.