Crossing the High Atlas passes in Morocco

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Knuckles

Crossing the High Atlas passes in Morocco

Post by Knuckles »

Kate and I are planning a 3 week cycling tour of Morocco In April. We'd like to start by heading south from Marrakech and crossing either the Tizi n' Test or Tizi n'Tichka. Both are over 2,000 metres and involve hairpin bends etc. We like a challenge but the problem is we're afraid of heights. Does anyone know if one is easier than the other and whether they are or are not feasible for people with this fear of heights?

Thank you and kind regards
theDaveB

Re: Crossing the High Atlas passes in Morocco

Post by theDaveB »

Just been posted, could be useful

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=93258

Dave
Knuckles

Post by Knuckles »

Thank you Dave.

That was helpful. Presumably the rest of her trip will follow. Hope so.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I've done the Tizi n Test. It's high but it's not that steep as I recall.I think Marrakesh is at around 400m so you get a bit of a leg up. The descent is long down into the Souss valley, so not that hairy. Pretty spectacular though.

To be honest, there's nothing different about the heights in the High Atlas compared to any other mountains I've been over. You climb up and you roll down. Yes, there are switchbacks and some steepish climbs and drops, but no more than in the Alps.

http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Knuckles

Post by Knuckles »

Thank you very much. It looks fantastic.

Reluctantly we've already chickened out and made arrangements to fly to Agadir and then head east via Taroudant to Merzouga and then head north to Fez before catching a bus to Casablanca and turning south down the coast as far as Essaouira and bussing to Marrakech at the end.

Kind regards and once again thank you