Bother - CalMac Summer Timetable Lochboisdale to Mallaig

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gloomyandy

Bother - CalMac Summer Timetable Lochboisdale to Mallaig

Post by gloomyandy »

Just before Xmas I was looking at the CalMac timetables and idly thinking about possible trips for 2015 when I noticed the service from Lochboisdale to Mallaig. This looked very promising as I've been thinking of doing a trip from Oban, up through the islands to Harris over via Skye and then mainland via Applecross to Ullapool, return via Lewis, Harris, Skye, then Moidart and Mull. The only bit I didn't like was the double crossing of Skye. This route offered the chance to avoid that (by doing a loop through the Uists and then crossing to Mallaig). Unfortunately having now seen the Summer timetable it seems this route is an experimental winter only service (3 years test), bother! I wonder what will happen after the 3 year pilot?
rualexander

Re: Bother - CalMac Summer Timetable Lochboisdale to Mallaig

Post by rualexander »

Yes it seems weird that it is winter only, I wanted to use it last May but couldn't because it was the summer timetabke.
Presumably the boat they use is already allocated to a summer route.
Hopefully it will become a year round route eventually.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Yes, when I emailed them they said that no vessels are available to run the route in the summer.
lastbluemt

Post by lastbluemt »

Last summer we did Mallaig - Armadale - Uig- Harris, then down through the Uists, ferry back from Lochboisdale to Oban. The Island Hopper is good value for this itinerary, Harris not to be missed, and the long sail back from Lochboisdale superb. Downside is cycling against prevailing wind in the Uists, and that so much hangs on not missing the early morning Lochboisdale ferry (and it had a mechanical problem the day we wanted to use it).
robing

Post by robing »

lastbluemt wrote:Last summer we did Mallaig - Armadale - Uig- Harris, then down through the Uists, ferry back from Lochboisdale to Oban. The Island Hopper is good value for this itinerary, Harris not to be missed, and the long sail back from Lochboisdale superb. Downside is cycling against prevailing wind in the Uists, and that so much hangs on not missing the early morning Lochboisdale ferry (and it had a mechanical problem the day we wanted to use it).

I'm thinking of doing the same route but in reverse this summer. What's the best time to go, and where can you leave your car in Oban?
lastbluemt

Post by lastbluemt »

We used the train, so can't advise on car parks. We generally go to Western Scotland in late May or early June when there's a better chance of settled weather, but that's with the gods, of course. We used a mixture of SYHA, independent hostels and one excellent B & B on S.Uist. Good luck.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm thinking of doing the same route but in reverse this summer. What's the best time to go, and where can you leave your car in Oban?

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83453
robing

Post by robing »

Norman H wrote:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83453

And this one: popular thread!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76350
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Cars in Oban can be left at Hazlebank Motors at a reasonable cost or Stoddarts. Take the boat direct to Barra or S.Uist and go north and come back from Harris through Skye then Mull back to Oban. Easy :D
robing

Post by robing »

ambodach wrote:Cars in Oban can be left at Hazlebank Motors at a reasonable cost or Stoddarts. Take the boat direct to Barra or S.Uist and go north and come back from Harris through Skye then Mull back to Oban. Easy :D

That's what I was planning to do. Thanks for the tips.