Journal of my recent ride across Wales on LLC

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Journal of my recent ride across Wales on LLC

Post by raybo »

In the second week of September, 2014, I rode from Holyhead to Chepstow on the Lon Las Cymru (and on to Beacsonfield, where family lives).

I have written a detailed daily journal of the ride with dozens of photos for anyone interested.

It was a challenging ride with plenty of uphill everyday. After the strenuous climb before Barmouth, I used A and B roads to avoid the steep climb south of Dolgellau and north of Llanidloes. Even with those changes, I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone wanting to get a full taste of what Wales has to offer.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
james01

Re: Journal of my recent ride across Wales on LLC

Post by james01 »

Thanks for posting this. I did the Lon Las a couple of years ago finishing up in Cardiff . Your journal makes me wish I'd kept a similar record, it also reminds me of what a great route it is.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Nice write-up and photos, thanks for posting. I must get around to doing the LLC, it looks great! Seems you were quite lucky with the weather, despite the hazy conditions.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I liked your journal. Nice pics. A good travelogue. Spnet a hurried 40 mins reading it all. On a winters day and when its raining and you can't go out...just the job.

I would have liked a picture of yourself alongside your bike,and maybe your bags.

You seem to have been fixated on eating at Subway. That joint contains the worst pap in the Western World. Its the sorta stuff that'll keep fresh for 6 months or more...and tastes of brown envelopes! (It's said with humour. Honestly!)

Your curmudgeonly barman sounds about right. I must say I do like a bit of bad service in Britain: it makes me feel at home! All this Yankee politeness gets too much. I miss the old UK: the take it or leave it attitude. In the good ol days you used to get stuff just thrown over the counter at you: dead flies included in the stale grub. Ah,those were the days!

You had no rain. Wotrugrumblin about? Complainin about mist!!! You're not one of these blokes who shaves his chest are you! I'll get edited if I were to call you what I could. Perhaps our comedian Ricky Gervais might pull it off.

Wow,you put in some decent climbs. And over some days. Hope you enjoyed yourself. Wales: for me its more walking country. A slog to the top of the hills,and then you have to apply brakes on the way down...unless you plan to meet your Maker via an on-coming Landrover.

Best wishes. Well dun
PH

Post by PH »

That's the sort of journal I like, let the pictures tell most of the story, I'm enjoying it.
Rode LLC as my 2nd tour, when I though all tours had to follow little blue signs, struggled a bit on an old hybrid, but it was still a lot of fun, must go back sometime.
raybo

Post by raybo »

tyreon wrote:You seem to have been fixated on eating at Subway. That joint contains the worst pap in the Western World. Its the sorta stuff that'll keep fresh for 6 months or more...and tastes of brown envelopes! (It's said with humour. Honestly!)

I am a vegetarian and like to eat sandwiches when I ride. Subway makes a good vegi-burger that I like. It is riding fuel, nothing more. I can't tell you the number of times I've ridden around some village looking for a place that makes something palatable and vegetarian to no avail. I rode up and down the Porthmadog High Street and had to settle for some deep-fried vegi-burger from some hole in the wall place. I can assure you that Subway would have been preferable to that!

Subway's are easy to locate (via website) and the menu is consistent. The only other consistent choice I found in the UK was those pre-made triangular cheese sandwiches sold in supermarkets. I have a fair share of those, as well.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com