Maps for cycling in Italy ? - North to South

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
FarOeuf

Re: Maps for cycling in Italy ? - North to South

Post by FarOeuf »

I was cycling across Italy a couple of months ago. Like every country, petrol stations sell good fold-out road maps. I cycled across the top (Venice to Turin) and found a single map covering the north. I think it was €4 or something, and had every road marked and main tourist sites.

cheers,
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Not a map but do read 'Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie' by Andrew Sykes. He goes from Canterbury to Rome (and a bit) Great read...hc

EDIT In the book: The author travels from north to south btw
mercsport

Post by mercsport »

For all my of my touring over the years across Europe and here, there and everywhere in Italy, I have relied wholly on Michelin Regional Maps at a scale of around 1/400.000. Four paper folding maps, with generous overlap, cover the whole of Italy and take up little room in one's touring kit, particularly relevant if you're a mile-eater. Swiftly pocketable for the innumerable times in the day when dithering as to which way to go within that wonderful country, and upon their super modern to very historic road system. They provide context and contain as much info' as I could possibly have wanted and have guided me to places I could not have dreamed of (here's a thought: do not be afraid to use roads with barred or fenced entrances and marked 'Chiuso' and/or 'Pericoloso' for, in my experience, solitude and adventure awaits..)

I think these days the Michelin regionals come with a card stiffener cover for gloss and saleability but the stiffener is easily dispensed with to make them more pliable.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the tip on pericoloso.

For a certain sort of italian pretty much everything is pericoloso

Particularly a cold beer.
Sweep