Maps for cycling in Italy ? - North to South

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ianrichards121

Maps for cycling in Italy ? - North to South

Post by ianrichards121 »

We're off on another European long distance ride again in March and need to sort out which maps to take.
Our route takes us from Genoa to Sicily and we plan to take 4 weeks to do it.
We always take the minor roads.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
TIA
Ian
smith4188

Re: Maps for cycling in Italy ? - North to South

Post by smith4188 »

I don't know your route but don't miss out the cities, most of which were very easy to cycle in and out of, like Florence (nice, affordable campsite overlooking the city), Rome (OK, depends which way you go) and Naples (lots of cobbles on the way out), and the smaller ones like Perugia, Bologna, Arezzo and Parma. I've also heard nice things about Siena. The shin of Italy is lovely too. If you're cycling down the east of Sicily and decide to camp in Catania, stay at the place not far from the entrance into town. Don't stay at Campeggio Europa. It's the biggest hole in the world.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
ianrichards121

Post by ianrichards121 »

Thanks for that.
We are planning our route sort of from Warmshowers host to host.
There's 2 we've fixed up on the way to Siena and we'll wing it from there.
Certainly intend to go down the shin.
In Sicily we are WWOOFing at Noto.
All in all ... a good trip I think.
TTFN
Ian
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

When I was cycling there in 2012 I met a guy who was WWOOFing near Perugia. He said it was a great life, giving him plenty of cycling time, but that the Italians were incredibly conservative, especially when it came to which sauces went with which shapes of pasta. Just letting you know in case you foolishly dare to make a bolognese with macaroni or something. Have a great trip!
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
honesty

Post by honesty »

In my view Siena is the city to see in Tuscany and well visiting (even over Florence). If you are going to Siena it's definitely worth going to San Gimignano as well.

From Genoa as you follow the coast south you'll go through the Parco di Portofino and Cinque Terre both beautiful.

Much further south, the Cilenten coast is amazing. Like the Amalfi but left tourists.
ianrichards121

Post by ianrichards121 »

Excellent, we'll go there !
Thanks
Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

smith4188 wrote:but that the Italians were incredibly conservative, especially when it came to which sauces went with which shapes of pasta. Just letting you know in case you foolishly dare to make a bolognese with macaroni or something.!

I have certain Italian connections and in my experience there is a lot of truth in this.

Despite what some folk might think "justa lika mamma makes" is not a baseless stereotype. Italian mammas are the source of all knowledge about how to do things. Only thing is I've never managed to figure out when these various rules were established - handed down by a local saint/1504, 1870, 1922?????.

On the subject of maps i'd use 200,000 scale touring club italiano map (whole country in a book with weather resistant sheets for well under £20) plus openstreetmaps on a garmin etrex20.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Italy-Road-Atla ... TJTSSP8W96

There.

That particular one seems quite old but might make little difference - Italian maps aren't generally the most detailed things in my experience - hence my suggestion to pair it with OSM.
Last edited by Sweep on 20 Jan 2015, 8:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
ianrichards121

Post by ianrichards121 »

Can't find this place

Cilenten

Any pointers much appreciated

honesty wrote:In my view Siena is the city to see in Tuscany and well visiting (even over Florence). If you are going to Siena it's definitely worth going to San Gimignano as well.

From Genoa as you follow the coast south you'll go through the Parco di Portofino and Cinque Terre both beautiful.

Much further south, the Cilenten coast is amazing. Like the Amalfi but left tourists.
honesty

Post by honesty »

ianrichards121 wrote:Can't find this place

Cilenten

Any pointers much appreciated

honesty wrote:In my view Siena is the city to see in Tuscany and well visiting (even over Florence). If you are going to Siena it's definitely worth going to San Gimignano as well.

The Cilenten coast is the stretch of coast running south from Salerno and surrounding Palinuro. Its all lovely but I think there are a few world heritage sites in the area as well (Paestum I think plus another). When we went down there (which was to be honest over 20 years ago) my aunty had a flat in Palinuro and we went and stayed a few years on the trot. The beaches are amazing and empty, the sea is blue and warm, and the grotte have to be seen to be believed.
ianrichards121

Post by ianrichards121 »

Got it !!!
Thanks
honesty

Post by honesty »

Here's the world heritage site for the cilentan coast - http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/842

if you have time it's worth spending a bit in Genoa. its a working port, which adds a patina of grime and modern life to it, but the centre is pretty great
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

As for maps I would thoroughly recommend the Touring Club Italiano maps, they're 1:200,000 and show every back road you could possibly ride down. You might need quite a few for your journey tho!
I've used them a lot when touring Italy by motorcycle and by car.
What's especially good about them is they're waterproof and plasticised so almost indestructible. Great for map reading on a motorbike or cycle.
Check out Stanfords map and travel guide shop in Covent Garden for them. You can order online from their website.
I could spend all day in the shop 'reading' their maps and guides.....
Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yep, Stanfords is where you need to look.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RodWatts wrote:As for maps I would thoroughly recommend the Touring Club Italiano maps, they're 1:200,000 and show every back road you could possibly ride down.

This isn't true in my experience. In fact I think this has come up in other threads. They are passable maps though, and i agree about the handy plasticy finish. Yes, Stanfords is great - have spent many an hour in there and still do. They are very tolerant of folk "browsing" .

I think they do a CTC discount. Ditto lccc.
Sweep