Touring with prescription glasses

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Touring with prescription glasses

Post by 22camels »

I have medium short-sight and after wearing contacts for many years have recently decided to go back to glasses full-time, because, although I have had few problems with the contacts, in the end they are too much of a faff (particularly when camping), have risks I don't want to take, and a constant expense. After doing my first two short tours with contacts and non-prescription Oakleys, I'm trying to figure out my eyewear setup going forward.

I think for me the main functions of cycling shades, in order of priority, are 1) protect me eyes from stray dirt flying off the road, dust in the air, and UV, 2) provide good 180 degree vision, 3) block the light to make bright sun more comfortable. I can also see that when on a cycling tour, I would fairly regularly need to stop and talk to people, go into shops, and do other non-cycle things, and it appears to me that my natural impulse in many such situations, would be to take my shades off as I don't like the idea of people not being able to see my eyes. And so I would have to have my regular glasses to hand and swap the pairs, which is a faff. Hence I am looking for a solution that minimises the amount of swapping I have to do.

Basically I am looking at getting a pair of cycling sunglasses with non-polarised photochromic prescription lenses, such as these ones from Optilabs http://www.optilabs.com/site/product.php?pfid=0,8,11,17&prodid=16, that adapt to changing light conditions and can be worn even at night (when they would be clear). They certainly seem less of a faff than ones with interchangeable inserts. But on bright days they would stay dark, and so I would still regularly find myself swapping to my normal glasses. I think even if I were to go out of the sun, inside a building, they need something like ten or twenty seconds, to adapt to the new light conditions, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

Anyone with experience of prescription cycling sunglasses? Am I over thinking this? Is there another solution that is more practical?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Touring with prescription glasses

Post by Mick F »

I bought some Optilabs varifocal glasses only a few short months ago.

HIGHLY recommended.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=88339
I won't ride without them any more.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I just bought my second pair of Optilab photochromatics. The others broke after 6 years. They're fine for cycling. I tend to take them off in cafes, etc but there's no reason why you can't wear them all the time. They only go really dark in bright sun and have a grey tint in lower light conditions. They go completely clear indoors or at night. The only potential issue is slight distortion of vision due to the curvature of the lenses, but you soon adjust to this. I now find it weird to cycle in my normal specs. I don't take my normal specs when I'm out on my bike.

PS I'm an ex contact lense wearer. Had to give up after a serious bout of conjunctivitis.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are two basic options, both are fine, both work well and it is down to personal choice

The first is to buy glasses with an optical lens, tuned to your prescription

The second is to buy glasses with an insert that is made to your prescription

My personal preference is the latter

I have a pair of Rudy Project with an RX insert

The adaptability is the reason.

I can change the outer lens according to light and conditions

As a bonus I can then also change the insert as my prescription changes
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Thanks for the replies.

The insert option where you change the outer lens according to conditions doesn't sound nearly as convenient as the photochromic lens which changes automatically, am I missing something? I suppose if my prescription changed this would work better as then I could just get a new insert, but my prescription has been constant for twenty years.

My main concern is still that I'll have to take them off whenever I am interacting with people to swap to my regular glasses.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wear protective/safety glasses over my normal ones (ie ordinary or sun glasses). They are the sort you see people on TV wearing when they visit factories.

I get them from Wickes and they cost £1.99.

OK a cheap skate option, but they do work well. They shield my eyes from wind and dust etc and best of all is they have transparent sides I retain peripheral vision.

As soon as I get off the bike I take them off and look 'normal'.

Maybe worth a try??
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Thanks Simon, yes that's an idea.. though assuming these safety over-glasses are clear, I would still need some sort of prescription sunglasses under them for the really bright days. Though there might be some photochromic safety glasses out there - something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spits-Outfitter ... 3a94698d5f - which might work great, though it does look a bit heavy and could get hot.

But I think the problem with any sort of over-glasses is that my regular glasses don't have 180 degree coverage, so I would have blurry vision at wide angles, thus I'd still need to get a new pair of prescription glasses with a more wrap-around fit..
30miles

Post by 30miles »

I've had Optilabs glasses with photochromic prescription lenses for several years (not quite the same model as you mentioned above, but close enough). They're perfect for touring - I've never felt the need to take them on and off when entering shops, cafés and suchlike, perhaps partly because they don't turn completely pitch-black and so don't totally obscure your eyes. The lenses also adjust very quickly to changes in natural light.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I gave up on the Transitions lenses. Although Transitions are supposed to be the fastest reacting lenses I found they didnt react fast enough for me and if I had to look at my phone or GPS screen they were a nuisance so I have gone back to clear untinted varifocals. I got them from 39 Dollar Glasses in the US ordered on the internet. Cheaper than any other place and excellent quality. Went into several high street Opticians to get an eye test and quote and they all said that I had the best quality most expensive lenses. They cost about £100 including import vat and handling charge whereas the Opticians wanted £300+

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've also had a pair of sunglasses with inserts. I found that they tend to steam up more than the prescription glasses, in the gap between the insert and the sunglasses lens. I also found that my eyelashes used to catch on them. Still got on OK with them most of the time, but prefer the photochromatics.

My latest pair of glasses from Optilabs were delivered in 4 days and cost £160. They did have a £20 off offer over Christmas, but that may have finished now ( I paid full price as I got mine in November).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I went for prescription sunglasses chosen for cycling from the optician's sunglasses range - largish lenses, extra high index glass, and as wraparound as practical, with reactolite - as my second pair of glasses from my high street optician just before Christmas. The total cost for the two pairs was £225.

They are great. Had a bright walk the other day with winter sun and they went quite dark,but cleared quickly after going into a tea room

There are lots of options out there.

Ferdinand
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I also have Optilabs photochromic varifocals that I use for cycling. Perfect. I need glasses to see distance and for reading so these are just the job for me. I can see ahead, read my map and GPS and everything else in between. The bonus is that you can use them in everything from bright sunlight to utter darkness.

I used to have Specialized Helix with an Rx insert but never liked them. My eye lashes used to rub on the Rx lens and I always ended up with a smudged lens. Another downside was that the Helix adaptalite lenses did not go totally clear so were no use in the dark. I had to get a clear lens for night riding. A bit if a faff when touring.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I know I said I use the 'over' safety glasses, but am thinking of a pair of Optilabs (got a bit of cash). Good to hear they are recommended, particularly the photocr & varifocal ones.

One question, what is peripheral (ie sideways) vision like? They seem to shield the side of your eyes.

Thinking of asking for a pair of clear ones to do a trial before buying.
CJ

Post by CJ »

I used Optilabs cycling glasses with varifocal reactolight lenses for several years, and found that I never needed to take them off. But although the wide lenses go quite a long way, the thick frames eventually obscure peripheral vision and my regular glasses, with thin wire frames, were actually better for over-the-shoulder glancing behind.

The only advantage of the cycling-specific glasses was that they fitted higher on my face, so I didn't end up looking over the top of them whenever I adopted a reasonably streamlined position on the bike. So: next time I needed new glasses I picked an 'aviator' design with reasonably large lenses (photochromic etc.) and thin wire frames, that fitted high and close enough that I didn't look over the top of them. These are my perfect everything-including-cycling glasses and very cheap. I got them from Glasses Direct.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A vote against inserts. I've had a couple (Bolles) and though they're kind of okay I decided in the end that the downsides outweigh the good.

The downsides I found are the inset adds weight: it's not much but almost anything can be significant on top of lightweight glasses and they were far more likely to slid forwards down my nose with the prescription in.
Cleaning them is a bit of a pain, significantly more faff than a normal pair of glasses.

My eyes are near enough okay I can cycle without prescriptions, though for driving I have some polarised sunglasses the local optometrist made up for me aside from my normal glasses. Light, comfortable, polarising brown lenses and they were about £40. I wear them for cycling sometimes too.

If I needed glasses for riding I think I'd get the Optilabs ones. One thing I found out getting my driving glasses is some photochromics react to UV, which is no problem on a bike but car windows filter out enough that they won't work too well there. So if you're planning on driving in them, check that that isn't an issue.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...