Some ferry good news...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ned Ludd

Some ferry good news...

Post by Ned Ludd »

it seems their will be sailings to Denmark from easter...from Harwich, fares look reasonable and bikes go free
hooray!!
http://www.reginaline.dk/timetable-uk.html
tim_f

Re: Some ferry good news...

Post by tim_f »

I would not bet on it.

A internet search shows a lack of commercial substance about these plans.

The fact that they have not started taking bookings for Easter start adds to my scepticism.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've emailed them this weekend to find out how to book - no reply yet but i'll post here if i get a reply! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
meic

Post by meic »

Here is one that never happened, or hasnt yet after five years

http://www.severnlink.com/
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the post op.

Will follow with interest.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I understand the they are still looking for investors. It could actually be useful to them if some of us emailed them expressing interest in services for cyclists.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Apparently its going to be Saturday 12th March 2016. A definite date rather than a vague "spring" but a lot can happen between now and then!
foxyrider

more ferry good news...

Post by foxyrider »

Slated to start operation this summer is the missing link in the German North Sea Coast route - a ferry between Cuxhaven and Brunsbuttel.
https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersa ... re638.html
Article is in German but we are looking at 24 crossings a day and for cyclists a distance saving of @ 70km from the Gluckstadt crossing further upstream.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Ned Ludd wrote:it seems their will be sailings to Denmark from easter...from Harwich, fares look reasonable and bikes go free
hooray!!
http://www.reginaline.dk/timetable-uk.html

Unfortunately that is unlikely and this is a common scam. It is unfortunately common for people to make it look like they are about to set up or resurrect an apparently popular ferry service like this. All that needs to happen is for some naïve public authority or a foolish investor to dob them a heap of money and it will be up and running quick as they can. If someone does dob them a pile of money, the MD will pay himself a very handsome salary and keep it, or the hope of it, going as as long as he can while he laughs all the way to the bank. But ultimately it isn't a commercial prospect and it is unusual for international transport services to be subsidised because of the state aids provisions of EU law. If you think that sounds just like De Lorean and the Phoenix Four, you aren't wrong. Setting up a ferry service, running a car manufacturing company, these are businesses that have a political tug to them which means that the politicians do sometimes fall for it. Setting up a website is very cheap way of trying to get people to throw money at you, and this one is actually the least professional I have seen.

Regina is not even a limited company, and has no ship. I'd be surprised if they have anything at all, and setting up such a large business from nothing takes time and considerable skill, competence and experience. They doubtless chose the name because the DFDS ship was called the Regina Baltica, but they have no rights to this ship.