Los Angeles

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mmuk

Los Angeles

Post by mmuk »

Happy New Year!

I've got about a week at the end of September starting in LA, finishing at an appropriate airport to get me home to Heathrow.

I'm thinking about the pacific coast - LA to San Francisco (although I can only find details on doing it North - South, is there an issue t'other way?) but does anyone have any other suggestions?

(Ideally 'soft' camping/b&b type - I don't have stoves etc)

Mike
tim_f

Re: Los Angeles

Post by tim_f »

best asking on American Adventure Cycling Association Forum and/or Crazy Guy on a bike Website.
irc

Post by irc »

Supposedly a prevailing N-S wind in summer which is one reason most riders go that way. Also N-S has you on the right side of the road for the view.

A superb area though. I've not cycled it but drove the Big Sur coast last year. Great coastal scenery. Saw elephant seals on the beach and whales just offshore the same day. If you like eccentric architecture Hearst Castle is worth a few hours.

This map will cover the route and has useful accommodation and services info on the back.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/cycloso ... section-4/
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've been to LA and San Fransico and hired a bikes for the day. LA is huge with some very unsavoury areas.
The ride across the Golden Gate Bridge is good.

Also driven the Big Sur to Montray.

Another reason for doing it North to South is you are on the right hand side of the road and therefore get better coastal views.
I can recommend the hostel at San Luis Obispo (SLO). Between SLO and Monteray there are no towns but a number of campsite. However not all have restaurants as Americans either bring thier RV or BBQ. Most have fire pits you can cook on.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

whoof wrote:Another reason for doing it North to South is you are on the right hand side of the road and therefore get better coastal views.

My fear of heights had me pushing the bike on the other side of the road for a while; plenty fine view from there, thanks very much! :oops:

Won't need to say too much about how sweaty my palms were heading into Yosemite... (Driving at that point, in a Jeep (only car available at time big enough in the back to fit bikes, etc. :evil: ) which probably woulda skipped over the barrier without feeling it).
whoof

Post by whoof »

Saw this about a trip similar to yours on an entry about riding through Wales and thought it might be useful

http://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipC ... eadEntries
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Go south young man, you'll appreciate the tailwind. The stretch from LA to San Diego is one of the few in the US with a reasonable number of hostels, see the ACA maps. The Sierra Cascades route has 2 in 2800 miles and one of them was booked up by a school party when I needed it.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mmuk

Post by mmuk »

Pete Jack wrote:Go south young man, you'll appreciate the tailwind. The stretch from LA to San Diego is one of the few in the US with a reasonable number of hostels, see the ACA maps. The Sierra Cascades route has 2 in 2800 miles and one of them was booked up by a school party when I needed it.

'Young man' - I haven't been called that for a while!

thanks for the advice

re camping - as I don't intend to carry cooking gear, are there plenty of overnight 'opportunities' on the SF - LA route? Cost is an issue, but not overly so - so occasional motel/hotel interspersed with camping is fine, as long as the camping has food close by!

lastly - should I plan and book in advance (Sept/Oct) or just turn up?

Mike
irc

Post by irc »

whoof

Post by whoof »

irc wrote:This guide is worth a read.

http://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipC ... tipID=2130

It's that same link I gave 3 posts ago.
mmuk

Post by mmuk »

yes - sorry, my fault, I read the link (very useful) after i replied to the post :shock: oops!

have also joined warmshowers.org, so should be well placed now to organise.

Thanks all for your help!

Mike
lisap

Post by lisap »

LA to San Diego is horrible cycling. Lots of suburban roads, traffic and very boring. That's just my personal opinion, others may absolutely love it but I found it mind numbingly dull.

San Francisco to North of LA is ok but not the nicest part of the coast trip, you need to go further north for that.
No need to carry any cooking gear, everything is to go from coffee to food. Cheap motels are plenty and you don't need to book in advance. San Francisco, LA and San Diego airports are easy to get to by bike.

Whichever bit you end up doing you are going at a nice time of year though, very pleasant weather and not as many RV's on the road as the holidays end after Labor Day.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

lisap wrote:LA to San Diego is horrible cycling. Lots of suburban roads, traffic and very boring. That's just my personal opinion,
Indeed. I quite enjoyed it the couple of times I've done it. Goes to show. Near Elephant Seal Beach, which actually has lots of elephant seals, I got a fried egg sandwich i.e. a fried egg between two sheets of bread then the whole thing deep fried! It was actually quite good. Shortened my life I suppose. A pair of binoculars might be nice to better see the migrating whales & sea otters. (Sea otters don't migrate but they do hang around the coast. Ooops I forgot to mention the California Condors around Big Sur)
Attachments
Condor at Big Sur
Condor at Big Sur
lisap

Post by lisap »

Amazed you saw elephant seals South of LA Pete. Saw lots of Pelicans on the LA concrete canal but that was about it.
San Simeon were full of seals though and around Monterey I watched sea otters for hours. Absolutely fascinating creatures.

I think my comments are based on the difference between riding the Pacific Coast in Washington State and Oregon where it is absolutely stunning and then hitting the burbs of LA which doesn't even compare.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

You're right Lisa the LA part is pretty dismal, Oxnard in particular is a dump. Long Beach is a bit of a non event too, the name's misleading I saw no beach in Long Beach.