Handlebar bag views and costs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thayer19

Re: Handlebar bag views and costs

Post by thayer19 »

Has anyone had use of this handlebar bag? Creprello your noted flaws though sounding annoying wouldn't affect a non garmin user and bar end shifters bike so I'd be interested in this. 20 pound seems a steal though maybe its waterproofness could be tested? Never heard of New Looxs either.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The fabric is plastic coated and the construction is welded, so I'd be quite confident that it is waterproof, as long as the rim of the front opening lid is deep enough to stop driving rain. If the conflict with the Garmin etrex could be overcome, I'd be very pleased with it. I don't discredit the overall design; it's just my personal requirements.

My old bar bag was/is a Super C and that had conflict with the STI levers and the exit of the gear cables. I used V brake noodles and they just clear the bag sides. Wide handlebars would help, but I don't want to replace my bars for the bags sake, as I like narrower bars (although they are 44cm overall at the tops).

I was toying with the idea of moving the clamp backing plate further down the bag - quite doable, by covering up the old holes with a plastic plate then bolting or riveting the bracket/plate. Ironically, I could overcome the problems of the New Looxs bag with the same fix, which is not what I wanted to have to do, even if I only spent £20. :? :roll:

New Looxs is a Dutch brand I think. I think it's a daft name, but I wouldn't be put off a name for that price! A bit of iron on reflective tape would sort the loox 8)
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Mmm yeah sounds like its a pretty good bar bag then especially in terms of waterproofness. I've been thinking of going for a super c so would be interested to hear how they compare, though to be honest I think I might give this bar bag a go especially for the price.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Just loox'd at the bag again and the front of the lid is surely deep enough to avoid the worst rain penetration. One thing I did notice is that the lid has a zipped pocket inside the lid. Loox have kindly put the zip at the bottom of the pocket (as you open the lid) :roll: Ah well, it's got three other interior pockets.

It will also fit butterfly bars (59cm) without an extension bracket. Interestingly, it looks like a Garmin etrex on the butterfly bars would be clear of an open lid, because the bag can sit horizontaly, whereas on my drop bar tourer I have to tilt the bag up to allow brake lever clearance :roll: I have an idea that I might be able to mount the etrex on the ahead stem to clear the bag lid, if I raise it on a fat blob of silicone sealant + the zip ties (otherwise it cannot unclip)

The Etrex mounts nicely on a quill stem, but not on an ahead.
cyclingovereurope

Post by cyclingovereurope »

The handlebar bag is the most important in a bike tour. The handlebar bag is the most important in a bike tour. I tried it on my bike's skin!!! :roll:
I can suggest these:

http://www.karstadtsports.de/Ortlieb-Lenkertasche-Ultimate-4M-blau-schwarz/4292842.html#start=10,
https://www.globetrotter.de/shop/ortlieb-ultimate4-orange-line-119245

they have a good price because are branded by the stores.
youngteam

Post by youngteam »

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAARFRB/ar ... ounted-bag

Just received the above, seems pretty good for the money. The bracket seems fairly solid, comes with a small map case.

It seems to be the same as http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005D4CF6K which gets good reviews.

I doubt it's very waterproof and it's a bit on the small side but it clears my STI gear cables and I can't complain for the price.
youngteam

Post by youngteam »

In case anyone is interested, the bag from Planet X (previous post) is holding up well during my tour through Holland and Germany.

The bracket is solid and the map case does a good job of holding my phone in a landscape orientation for navigation.

The bag isn't waterproof though so dry bags required for anything that needs to stay dry.