Handlebar bag views and costs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: Handlebar bag views and costs

Post by robing »

Graham wrote:
robing wrote:I've just got the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for this year's touring. Carradice has a lifetime guarantee and this bag is unique I believe in having a light attachment so you can put your lights on the front of it as they can't go on the bar.
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=18

I have the Carradry version with the underslung bar.

* The bike lights wobbled around like crazy.

* On this large, deep bag model the small Lumicycle light cans rubbed against the mudguard

I just gave up in the end.

Actually, I didn't get on with the Carradice Super C in the end. Just too big, I don't like a bag that takes up the whole of the space in between the drops. And at the angle I had to have it to be clear of the brake/gear cables, the light fittings were no good. So I sold it on Ebay :lol:

I've now got the Topeak Compact Tourguide bag http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Compact_Handlebar_Bag
which is perfect! So small you hardly notice it. Perfect for day rides for your phone, money, snacks etc. And works well as part of a touring set up for your valuables. It's a brilliant design - turns in to a 'fanny pack' or bumbag as we call them.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

robing wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:I have had the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for about six or seven years now. I would highly recommend it. My front light (Dynamo) is fixed to the fork crown and sits well below the bag, even on my small frame. Top piece of kit IMHO

How waterproof is this bag?

Apologies for the delay in replying. There answer is very. I have been out in some serious downpours with this bag and never had any water ingress. The material does get wet but the whole idea is that the wetter it gets, the tighter the fibres press together thus keeping the water out. It works.

BTW, the underslung light bar is useless. If you get one of these, and I highly recommend you do, chuck the light bar away.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

I tend to use small Topeak wedge bag as a bar bag. Keep it for camera, phone, other small bits, tools, passport, etc. These photos show how it attaches. Very stable, light and easy to take on and off and can fit light. I quite often take photos while on the move and fine for this, easy to access, although sometimes accidentally photograph the bars while trying to switch camera off, like in the second photo (I was struggling up Ventoux at the time!). Not waterproof, but easy to use plastic bag. Otherwise, use a Carradice bag, altho' heavier holds a lot more.

Topeak 2.jpg

Topeak picture.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
climo

Post by climo »

What I hate about all the larger barbags is that they are too boxy to carry comfortably when off I'm the bike. I'd like a soft bag that moulds to the body when carried just like any shoulder bag does. It would have to have a detachable / collapsible frame to give it shape on the bike and of course waterproof with a standard Klic whatsit fixing.

Any ideas anyone?
robing

Post by robing »

climo wrote:What I hate about all the larger barbags is that they are too boxy to carry comfortably when off I'm the bike. I'd like a soft bag that moulds to the body when carried just like any shoulder bag does. It would have to have a detachable / collapsible frame to give it shape on the bike and of course waterproof with a standard Klic whatsit fixing.

Any ideas anyone?

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Compact_Handlebar_Bag

Just got this for under £30 from Halfords online. It's perfect, very small and light. Soft, has a carry handle plus a detachable waist band that lets you wear it is a bum bag.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I got one from Halfords too......it slowly takes the skin off my knuckles on a long ride as it isn't fixed far enough away from the bar-tops. If only the fixing was half an inch longer it would have been saved from the cupboard of history.
robing

Post by robing »

largeallan wrote:I got one from Halfords too......it slowly takes the skin off my knuckles on a long ride as it isn't fixed far enough away from the bar-tops. If only the fixing was half an inch longer it would have been saved from the cupboard of history.

That certainly isn't the case with mine. There's loads of space in front of the bars. They did change the fittings a few years ago. How old is yours?
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Not that old, maybe 3 years.....the stinging knuckles put me off it rapidly!! I think I paid about £25 for it....to be honest I should just have kept my pennies and got an ortlieb to match my back and front rollers....patience is a virtue! I wonder how long the Ortlieb handlebar fitting is now?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I've now got the Topeak Compact Tourguide bag http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Compact_Handlebar_Bag
which is perfect! So small you hardly notice it. Perfect for day rides for your phone, money, snacks etc. And works well as part of a touring set up for your valuables. It's a brilliant design - turns in to a 'fanny pack' or bumbag as we call them.

I've got that one too. No good for a map though everything else is fine (wallet, mobile, bar of choccie, couple of tire levers.....). I am NEVER going to wear it as a bum bag so that bit is pointless (it was Xmas gift). I like the fixings, it's been very solid. To many divider thingies inside it though they can be removed mostly. Little waterproof cover works but also takes up limited space. I feel I need something the same but a touch bigger for a map and fewer add ons.
Graham

Post by Graham »

largeallan wrote:Not that old, maybe 3 years.....the stinging knuckles put me off it rapidly!! I think I paid about £25 for it....to be honest I should just have kept my pennies and got an ortlieb to match my back and front rollers....patience is a virtue! I wonder how long the Ortlieb handlebar fitting is now?

I did not like the ( largest model ) Ortlieb bar bag. It did skin my knuckles !!
I have reverted to an ancient Karrimor Bardale which is heavy duty nylon, collapsible and SILENT.
It needs additional rain-protection though i.e. a plastic carrier bag covering . . . . very elegant.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have a small ancient Karrimor sold as a starter bag but just the right size for keys money and mobile etc

karromor bar bag 1.JPG

karrimor bar bag 2.JPG
hondated

Post by hondated »

Ortlieb BB Security Lock

I have just fitted the BB on the bike which I was given by my family as a birthday present recently and although it looks good quality I have been left wondering why its fitted with a lock. My initial reaction on seeing it fitted with a lock was " great " that'll mean I can leave it on the bike when I go in the café but on investigation I found that the bag lid cannot be secured and then looking at the lock that secures the bag to the bracket I see that any thief with a pair of tin snips would have no problem snipping through the cable and stealing the bag and bracket.
So much for German engineering then. Why anyone ever sat down and designed such a useless lock is beyond me.

Moan over so can anyone tell me of another cycle related invention that is as useless as a chocolate teapot.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Why anyone ever sat down and designed such a useless lock is beyond me.

I thought that too until I heard that in some parts of the world youths ride alongside on mopeds then grab your handlebar bag and make off with it. It prevents that (altho I think you might end up being knocked off your bike in the attempt) but, as you say, no use for anything else.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
hondated

Post by hondated »

pedalsheep wrote:

I thought that too until I heard that in some parts of the world youths ride alongside on mopeds then grab your handlebar bag and make off with it. It prevents that (altho I think you might end up being knocked off your bike in the attempt) but, as you say, no use for anything else.

fair comment pedalsheep if its happening abroad probably won' t be long before it happens here.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

pedalsheep wrote:

A cheaper preventative measure is something like the bracket on the New Looxs Varo bar bag Image It require a red tab to be pressed in before the main button releases the bag. I'd probably cut the tab off (to make it descreet) if I were going to use the bag, then I would just press the remaining stub in with a key or something.

I've actually just bought one from Planet X for £20! It's well made, waterproof loads of pockets, it's deep and lightish. Unfortunately I can see it being a pig to use, because the lid opens from the rear, which conflicts with the Garmin on the bars. It also gets in the way of using the Tiagra STI's fully, despite it's tapered shape <sigh>. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be using it. Shame about the daft name as well. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BANEWVAROB ... of-bar-bag (BTW, my bag came with a magnetic closure, rather than the plastic clasps. Should be a bragin for someone though. They're selling up to £70 elsewhere. http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Looxs-Water ... B00D7BSMPE