Handlebar bag views and costs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: Handlebar bag views and costs

Post by robing »

The Mechanic wrote:I have had the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for about six or seven years now. I would highly recommend it. My front light (Dynamo) is fixed to the fork crown and sits well below the bag, even on my small frame. Top piece of kit IMHO

How waterproof is this bag?
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

foxyrider wrote:They are now on Ultimate 6 and I'm not sure I approve of the 'improvements'! bit of cord to hold the map case on - recipe for disaster, fixed inner organiser, why? and what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

Gah, fixed inner organiser?! On the earlier versions, first thing I did was pull the removal one, and fill the whole chamber with maps and guidebooks.

The locking feature I find quite useful tho - at cafes and such sometimes I lock the bike up with the barbag, grab what I need and leave it there. I'm talking about scenarios where it stays in line-of-sight. I'd rather that, than have it kicking about around my feet or on a chair where it can go walkies. Also, I do seem to remember reading a horror story of the rider being distracted while fixing a puncture and the barbag going walkies via 'a good samaritains' slight of hand. I could live without the lock feature admittedly, but it's there and it gets used.

The Ortlieb barbags are a bit steep, but a nice piece of kit and once you've got one last forever.
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Overboard still have a few of their fully waterproof handlebar bags available. If you want to access the bag on the fly it's not for you but possibly the most waterproof unless you're into MTB bog snorkelling
Neil
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

bigjim wrote:£10 barbag that fastens with velcro straps. The trouble is that it droops so much
I use the same sort of thing, something like 150g. Mine sits well, leaning on the gear cables as they come out from under the handlebar tape. You could fashion a support bracket from aluminium or use one of those carradice seatbag support brackets intended for saddlebags maybe, though that might be heavier.
CJ

Post by CJ »

WOOLIFERKINS wrote:Overboard still have a few of their fully waterproof handlebar bags available. If you want to access the bag on the fly it's not for you but possibly the most waterproof unless you're into MTB bog snorkelling

But their bracket is absolutely useless. It simply clamps around the handlebars without any under-the-stem tether, and is plastic so you can't possibly get the clamps tight enough to stop it rotating downwards. Every bag I see with this rubbish bracket (also used by some other cheap brands of bar bag) droops downwards until stopped by the head tube. I've had people on my tours with this fitting and tried to sort it out for them: impossible.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

bigjim wrote:The problem with Bar bags is the fixings are so heavy. One of the bikes mentioned puts the weight at 775g.

Really? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Name and shame it!

Ortlieb's bracket is 130g, the ubiquitous Klick-fix only 120g. You need to review your prejudices matey!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
loafer

Post by loafer »

The Mechanic wrote:I have had the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for about six or seven years now. I would highly recommend it. My front light (Dynamo) is fixed to the fork crown and sits well below the bag, even on my small frame. Top piece of kit IMHO

+1/\/\/\/\/\/\ had mine over 15 years still going strong ..also there panniers I have had for over 25 years (just had to repair 2 small holes ) with there repair kit :D great value
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

CJ wrote:
bigjim wrote:The problem with Bar bags is the fixings are so heavy. One of the bikes mentioned puts the weight at 775g.

Really? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Name and shame it!

Ortlieb's bracket is 130g, the ubiquitous Klick-fix only 120g. You need to review your prejudices matey!

I was talking about the complete thing not just the fixing. Not hard to work that out is it? And I'm not your mate! :roll:
I stopped posting on here because of the bad mannered. Once again one of them crawls out looking to start a silly childish argument.
I never learn do I.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

The rather odd looking Thule mount is 340g.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/lug ... -pp_100037
PH

Post by PH »

mrjemm wrote:The rather odd looking Thule mount is 340g.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/lug ... -pp_100037

But that's two for the price of one, so only 170g each :wink:
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Personally not a bar bag fan, I do like the HAND-lebar thing but horses for courses.
As an ex shop owner I struggle to recommend bar bags as I feel they just get in the [ . . . ] way.
People do get on with them but mounts & cables present a awkward challenge.
Rixen&Kaul/KlickFix mounts work best for ease of removal IMHO but they all punch a hole in the bag.

It's like voting for politicians, none of them are good enough but if you feel you must have one pick the least worst option, ;)
Last edited by Graham on 10 Jan 2015, 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for . . . . er, clarity ! :)
Neil
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Graham wrote:
robing wrote:I've just got the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for this year's touring. Carradice has a lifetime guarantee and this bag is unique I believe in having a light attachment so you can put your lights on the front of it as they can't go on the bar.
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=18

I have the Carradry version with the underslung bar.

* The bike lights wobbled around like crazy.

I've got the same under-bag light mounting arrangement on an Altura handlebar bag - the light also wobbles like crazy to a level I deem unusable.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

foxyrider wrote:
.............and what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

I don't need it to lock,

Maybe I should put you in touch with our club member who had their handlebar bag ripped off by the pillion passenger on a motor cycle - but that was in India!

It doe however highlight the potential for such a robbery and given that handlebar bags are invariably used for carrying valuables for easy detachment by the rider, the 'wise' miscreants of this world know this which makes the bag a prize target.

Having said that, I use a handlebar bag as I can't think of a good alternative so I remain vigilant to the prospect of a 'bag snatch'.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
PH

Post by PH »

bikes4two wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
.............and what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

I don't need it to lock,

Maybe I should put you in touch with our club member who had their handlebar bag ripped off by the pillion passenger on a motor cycle - but that was in India! .

What sort of bag was it that could get ripped off? I find the Klickfix really needs two hands and there's a bit of a knack to getting it off quickly even stood right next to it, the times I've had to reach over because of where it's been parked it's been pretty awkward.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have a Vaude Discover Box which is ruddiorrible: no compartments other than a sort-of velcroed-in soft cloth purse that's useless because it sags every time you try to shove something in, a soft floppy top, and press-studs that gall my knuckles when I have my hands in the middle of the bars where I like them for cruising. Even worse with the map-case clipped on. Only good things about it: Klick-fix mount (gee, how original) and waterproofidity. I tried to give this away to a chum and he gave it back after a week, with a shudder.

So I still use my 2007 Topeak Tourguide which has lots of pockets. It's not waterproof but my phone & camera are and the rest is in plastic. Lovely piece of kit.
Have we got time for another cuppa?