Handlebar bag views and costs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thayer19

Handlebar bag views and costs

Post by thayer19 »

I'm in the market for a handlebar bag and am wondering if anyone has had experience of using the vaude discover box handle bar bag? That particular bag can be found online at quite a decent price at the moment and it seems relatively suitable. I have ortlieb panniers and also like their handlebar bag, however, it seems ridiculously priced especially with the additional cost of a map holder (almost same cost to a pair of back roller classics). Is it just a case of accepting the cost and investing in one or has anyone got any other ideas? Any views would be welcome
Swallow

Re: Handlebar bag views and costs

Post by Swallow »

I have one of these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... gs-baskets . Love mine, comes with a waterproof cover and map holder. I'm told that they are made by Vaude, certainly looks like a Vaude Road II
'Kernow bys Vyken'
PH

Post by PH »

I have the Vaude Aqua Box which seems to be the same size and shape as the Discover but made from the same sort of material as the Ortlieb Classic. When I bought mine a few years ago there wasn't much price difference between it and the Ortlieb, I preferred the shape, the Klick Fix mount and that it included a map holder. I've been very happy with it and the Ortlieb camera insert fits it as well.
I also have the small Vaude Road, which is the same as the one Swallow links to, it's fine but not waterproof and you can't use the included cover and the map holder at the same time.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Is the "decent price online" anything like the £42.49p. . . . . Edinburgh Bikes . . . SALE price . . .

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... dlebar-bag
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Yeah that's the one I was referring to, price seems to be about that to £56. The original price of £85 seems again excessive though I imagine maybe the fittings attribute a lot of the cost on both the Vaude and Ortlieb bags. The vaude aqua box does look nice as well.
robing

Post by robing »

I've just got the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for this year's touring. Carradice has a lifetime guarantee and this bag is unique I believe in having a light attachment so you can put your lights on the front of it as they can't go on the bar. Looking forward to using it this year. Last year I didn't have one and it was a bit of a pain having to stop to look at the map.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=18
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've been using Ortlieb Ultimate's for some time, the '2' is in semi retirement after over 10 years of use - it still does the job but looks a bit tired! The replacement '3' is quite similar and I'm sure will be just as durable! Both of these have a mesh outer pocket and a pair of 'bedroll' straps incorporated in the design, both very useful, the map case just studs on the top.

They are now on Ultimate 6 and I'm not sure I approve of the 'improvements'! bit of cord to hold the map case on - recipe for disaster, fixed inner organiser, why? and what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

If I was looking for a replacement my key points would be

[list=]studded map holder
deep box lid
front mesh pocket
the bed roll straps are nice but not essential
R&K mounting
waterproof![/list]

I don't need it to lock, I don't need a solid top, I do need it to be light and simple
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Graham

Post by Graham »

robing wrote:I've just got the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for this year's touring. Carradice has a lifetime guarantee and this bag is unique I believe in having a light attachment so you can put your lights on the front of it as they can't go on the bar.

I have the Carradry version with the underslung bar.

* The bike lights wobbled around like crazy.

* On this large, deep bag model the small Lumicycle light cans rubbed against the mudguard

I just gave up in the end.
robing

Post by robing »

Graham wrote:
robing wrote:I've just got the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for this year's touring. Carradice has a lifetime guarantee and this bag is unique I believe in having a light attachment so you can put your lights on the front of it as they can't go on the bar.

I have the Carradry version with the underslung bar.

* The bike lights wobbled around like crazy.

* On this large, deep bag model the small Lumicycle light cans rubbed against the mudguard

I just gave up in the end.

I've tried it out and didn't have these problems. My lights didn't move about and I tilted the bag up so well clear of the mudguard
(and easier angle to read the map).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

foxyrider wrote: ...what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

I've always thought the same but have read of a couple of incidents where an opportunist thief has managed to steal the bag off the bike while the rider was stopped at a junction, or otherwise distracted.
Last edited by Graham on 5 Jan 2015, 7:56am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: quotation corrected
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have had the Carradice Super C handlebar bag for about six or seven years now. I would highly recommend it. My front light (Dynamo) is fixed to the fork crown and sits well below the bag, even on my small frame. Top piece of kit IMHO
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

My ortlieb classic seams started to come undone 7 months in to a big tour, just as the rains started. Top marks to Ortlieb, they sent a replacement. The bags been used everyday for 7 months. I'm not overly impressed with all their products but their service is fantastic.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

The problem with Bar bags is the fixings are so heavy. One of the bikes mentioned puts the weight at 775g. Thats the weight of a good sized saddlebag! I usually tour with a £10 barbag that fastens with velcro straps. The trouble is that it droops so much that you can't read a map on the move. I've yet to find a satisfactory answer to my barbag problem. I need light and upright. I'm not bothered about quick release. A plastic bag in the bar bag is fine to just lift and go for me.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

LollyKat wrote:
foxyrider wrote: ...what's with the locking feature - the thing goes everywhere I do!

I've always thought the same but have read of a couple of incidents where an opportunist thief has managed to steal the bag off the bike while the rider was stopped at a junction, or otherwise distracted.

Bar bag? seriously?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Yes - similar to this only in that case it was a Garmin. I'm afraid I haven't time / can't be bothered to search for the stories I read of bar bag theft, and they weren't in the UK, but you can see how a clued-up and determined thief could do it. After all the KlikFix mounts are designed to be quick release.