Big Cheat Alpine route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ubert767

Big Cheat Alpine route?

Post by ubert767 »

I experienced riding in the Alps for the first time last year (Austria and the Reschen Pass into Italy) and was so impressed by the Alpine scenery that I would like to tour there for a couple of weeks again this year. The problem is that, though I don't mind some climbing, I'm no longer a young feller so am looking for an easy-ish option. Please can anyone advise of an Alpine route of say 400 kms which isn't too difficult, maybe with a train ride to ease the way, !!!
Thanks.
MrsHJ

Re: Big Cheat Alpine route?

Post by MrsHJ »

My only thought ( and I haven't cycled it but have visited a lot) is that switzerland might be for you. It's rather pricey but the trains permit bikes and are incredibly widespread. The other thing with any moutain touring is to try to stick to the valleys and limit yourself to a pass a day. I say that having quite merrily done three passes a day when I was young and keen but the last one always seems to be in the heat ofnthe day.
velorog

Re: Big Cheat Alpine route?

Post by velorog »

Switzerland is an incredible cycling friendly country. There are hundreds of miles of well signposted cycle routes which will take you along valleys and over the high passes. The people are friendly and welcoming and the transport infrastructure caters for cyclists. All trains have provision for carrying bikes so it is possible to cheat, and several of the high passes are crossed by rail routes. Switzerland can be expensive but there is an excellent hostel network and many supermarkets have cafes. There is a mine of information at http://www.veloland.ch/en/cycling-in-switzerland.html

For a first time tour consider flying to Zurich, then train to Rapperswil. After a night at the hostel follow cycle paths to the Walensee and onto Sargans in the Rhine valley. From here follow the Rhine route over the Oberalp Pass to Andermatt. At Andermat you cross the Furka Pass to join the Rhone route which you can follow to Montreaux. Pick up a train (or ferry) here to Zurich and fly home. The whole route follows the rail network and you are never more than 10k from a railway station. If you run out of energy is is easy enough to hop onto a train which run at least every hour.