Oh eck...its another one of those "What bike" questions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikerwaser

Re: Oh eck...its another one of those "What bike" questions.

Post by bikerwaser »

if you buy a used , decent bike at the right price ( and you have the time to search for it ) then you can sell it after and will probably get very near what you paid.

so now the "up to £1000" you were thinking of could be more like a couple of hundred... if you do it right.
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

Morning folks,

Thanks for all the input, it’s interesting what others have said about the Tricross here and on the link Vantage posted. I don’t know an awful lot about bikes and ride on my own rather than in a group or club, so miss out on those opportunity’s to learn from others, but it seems others have suffered with the same poor gearing, weak wheels and horrible flex as I did on the Tricross. I thought it was just me or what bikes did! Really should get myself some more friends….. :D

So, at the moment the £1000ish budget is out the window and it looks like I need to book a day off work to get myself down to Bridgewater. Looks like it’s going to be a Thorn, just how good their sales people are depends on whether I come out with a Rohloff or not.

Thanks again everyone.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Their sales people are excellent. Be prepared! ;)
PH

Post by PH »

IMO if you're looking to go for a tough 26" wheel expedition quality tourer, the Surly LHT will be a match for anything from Thorn at a lot less money.
I'm a big Rohloff fan, my Rohloff bike gets used at least 80% of the time, despite having two other really nice derailleur bikes. But, to me it only makes any sort of economic sense if you intend to put a lot of miles on it. All things being equal, I'd choose a Rohloff every time, but I'd have no qualms about setting of on your tour with a decent derailleur set up either.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Good choice Phill but as you have time on your hands I would seriously suggest checking 2nd hand Thorns 1st. you could save a packet.

If you're interested, pics of my Thorn are on my blog:

http://biker-waser.blogspot.co.uk/

all the best !

Bikerwaser.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Phil66 wrote:Morning folks,

Thanks for all the input, it’s interesting what others have said about the Tricross here and on the link Vantage posted. I don’t know an awful lot about bikes and ride on my own rather than in a group or club, so miss out on those opportunity’s to learn from others, but it seems others have suffered with the same poor gearing, weak wheels and horrible flex as I did on the Tricross. I thought it was just me or what bikes did! Really should get myself some more friends….. :D

So, at the moment the £1000ish budget is out the window and it looks like I need to book a day off work to get myself down to Bridgewater. Looks like it’s going to be a Thorn, just how good their sales people are depends on whether I come out with a Rohloff or not.

Thanks again everyone.

Swing by Exeter whilst you're in that neck of the woods, too - another "bombproof" World Tourer that might be an option to Surly and Thorn:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Sutra-56 ... 3cef58a1d5
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just because there were a few Thorn recommendations here I wouldn't take them as the only option.

As I said I ride a Surly LHT. Ordered a frame from my local bike shop and then had it built using mainly Deore group set. Advantage was I got exactly what I wanted and if any problems then they are only down the road.

If you don't want to go down the bespoke option, there are still plenty of other bikes about. As said above have a good look around first. The Oxford Bike Company tourer looks good spec and value

Personally on my visit to SJS a few years ago I wasn't so impressed with staff or service.
freiston

Post by freiston »

My nephew lives in Vietnam and got into cycling after doing a Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City charity ride (about 1,200 miles). From what I saw of the photos and videos, the riders had locally sourced 'average' road bikes but the interesting thing was that although bikes looked 'modern' in most respects - frame geometry, threadless headsets etc., there was a marked absence of 'brifters' (I think I only spotted one bike with them) - almost all bikes had down-tube shifters - so, with spares and repairs in mind, it might be an idea to keep away from brifters. The roads varied from mostly good tarmac to the occasional stretch of pot-holed with loose hardcore but the riders seemed to manage without much incident - I got the impression that other road users were far more threatening than the state of the roads. They had a support van with mechanics

Here's a link to a blog of the 'project' - some photos there that might be of interest.

P.S. Re. the bike, I can't really recommend one but I would have thought any decent 'tourer' up to the job with the usual caveats about repairability etc. I have a Jamis Aurora; haven't used it for anything other than day rides, commuting (with panniers) and shopping but I reckon I would feel as confident with it as with any other bike.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
neilob

Post by neilob »

freiston wrote: there was a marked absence of 'brifters' (I think I only spotted one bike with them) - almost all bikes had down-tube shifters

Slightly off topic, but I've yet to hear evidence of the more modern 'brifters' breaking whether on tour or in general road riding. My opinion (FWIW) is that the convenience of these shifters on a laden tourer far outway any concerns over reliability and even if one does fail you can fix the transmission into a 3- or 9-speed (or whatever) depending which side fails (or carry a spare downtube shifter if you are really paranoid!). Bottom line for me is that STI is a brilliant invention. I do accept, however, that they are more prone to accidental damage but most objection to them is the rip-off prices we have to pay.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

Hi again,

Not sure if anybody who's contributed to this post will get this update, but the good news is that my 4 months of has been confirmed and I'll be putting my order in for an LHT in the very near future.

If anybody knows of an LHT supplier closer to Newbury than Richmond, surrey, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks again everybody.

Phil
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Phil66 wrote:Hi again,

Not sure if anybody who's contributed to this post will get this update, but the good news is that my 4 months of has been confirmed and I'll be putting my order in for an LHT in the very near future.

If anybody knows of an LHT supplier closer to Newbury than Richmond, surrey, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks again everybody.

Phil

AW Cycles Caversham Reading
Theres a discount for CTC members and they do a 20% off evening for CTC sometimes. Keep an eye on Reading CTC website

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
freiston

Post by freiston »

Phil66 wrote:Hi again,

Not sure if anybody who's contributed to this post will get this update, but the good news is that my 4 months of has been confirmed and I'll be putting my order in for an LHT in the very near future...

...Thanks again everybody.

Phil

Good to hear :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

If the frame is comfy and fits you well keep it. It is very unlikely that it will fail.
BUT, change the wheel to these - top of the range Mavic rims, 36 hole, DT swiss spokes and XT hubs. Bargain for a pair at £127 or the dynamo version for £35 extra.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb- ... aid:640729

Consider changing the chain and cassette a month or two before you go, to run them in a bit and take a spare chain with you (not a Shimano one) plus a chain tool :D
Change all the cables too. Or pay your LBS to do it.

Job done, for less than £250. Then relax, enjoy yourself and have a good trip.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Don't know what size you are but sjs have a nice, very well priced 56cm Disc Trucker with upgraded spec for £999.
Not sure why it hasn't sold yet. It's been on there for a good few weeks now. They will post it to you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It's no closer to you than the richmond place but if you ended up sourcing the LHT in London (which Richmond of course is) I would consider Brixton Cycles. Great people to deal with, short walk from Brixton tube. They know their stuff on LHTs.
Sweep