Oh eck...its another one of those "What bike" questions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

Oh eck...its another one of those "What bike" questions.

Post by Phil66 »

Hi all,

Okay, so it looks very likely that I am going to get 4 months off work at the end of the year, I’ve asked and my manager has okayed it, and so has his manager, just director level to go and then its signed and sealed, so its 99% happening.

The plan is to tour in South East Asia, a month each in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. While I expect sealed roads in Thailand, I’d expect to cycle a fair bit of dirt track in the other country’s. At the moment I tour on a Specailized Tricross and its lovely and most importantly, it’s very comfortable, but I have a couple of concerns. Firstly, will I get up all those hills on it and secondly, are the wheels strong enough to spend a long time on the dirt tracks. I’ve suffered a lot in the past with broken spokes and this time want to make sure the wheels/bike are bomb proof.

I’m in a very lucky position of not having to worry too much about the money, but don’t want to spend £1000 plus on a bike that might only get used twice a year after this tour.

Just writing this I’m clearer on what I’d like, I’d like to make the Tricross tough enough for this trip, but I do imagine it to be a bit on the light side.
So what would you guys do, over haul the Tricross or buy a new bike? If you buy a new bike, what would you look at?

Thanks in advance to any help you give.
al_yrpal

Re: Oh eck...its another one of those "What bike" questions.

Post by al_yrpal »

A friend went cycle touring in Vietnam recently, hit a pothole and busted his arm in four places. Make sure you get a tough touring bike.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Buy a Thorn. The Tricross isn't made for carrying luggage and doing very long trips on rough roads. It's more of a cyclo-cross bike - one light bloke, lots of mud, all over in a few hours. If you want trouble-free riding for week after week while carrying a lot of luggage, there's not a lot of choice. You might cavil at the starting price: remember you can always sell it afterwards, they fetch a reasonable price on the used market. If you need convincing, have a look at some long-distance cycling blogs to far-off places and see what they ride and if they have trouble with the bike. There's no substitute for experience, and you can obtain that by reading other people's blogs.
neilob

Post by neilob »

+1 for Thorn. I swear my Club Tour is tougher than any similar bike although it is well equipped with quality components. It eats miles, is stable loaded, and even with drop bars handles tracks and bad surfaces well.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

al_yrpal wrote:A friend went cycle touring in Vietnam recently, hit a pothole and busted his arm in four places. Make sure you get a tough touring bike.

Al

Of course we never have potholes in the UK! Any more pointless scare stories?

Turning to the OP. I am not sure why you think you will be riding lots of dirt in these countries. Most of the major roads are paved and I imagine that if you only have a month in each you won't be venturing far off these well cycled routes.

Many of the roads are better than you will find in the UK. Last year I rode over 3000 kms mainly in VN and Cambodia and only rode 220kms of dirt. Most of this was a particular road that I sought out in the far east which is probably paved by now.

Edit in as it got lost in posting: you may find longish sections of roads under (re) construction that can prove challenging. These are likely to be the most dirt that you will ride.

As for a bike, I am no expert, but would recommend something reasonably tough that you can rely on. I ride a Surly LHT, but as I am light and travel light it is probably a bit over the top. Nonetheless I like the security it offers as I am often in fairly remote areas, albeit on paved roads.

You don't say if you are thinking of doing it, but I don't recommended camping.

I ride these countries often, as in a few months most years, so happy to advise on routes, etc.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Another point is the 26 v 700 wheel argument. I personally go for 26 with an MTB type set up as spares are easier to get.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Depending what size you want, this struck me as good value http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/ind ... ic=10379.0
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MartinBrice wrote:The Tricross isn't made for carrying luggage and doing very long trips on rough roads.

I think you will find that that is precisely what the Tricross was designed to do! So maybe the latest models are not as nice as earlier ones but they still do the job very well.

MartinBrice wrote:It's more of a cyclo-cross bike - one light bloke, lots of mud, all over in a few hours.

In fact its nothing like a cross bike, well okay a slight resemblance.

There are lots of 'anyroad', 'allroad', 'adventure' available these days, some of which like my Focus Mares and the Kona Jake do have cyclo X heritage but that doesn't mean using one will compromise your comfort and/or enjoyment.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

+1 for the Thorn

I agree about getting a strong bike with strong wheels and they don't come a lot stronger than Thorns.

I have a Thorn Sherpa and it's very reliable. 26" wheels with deore hubs , 36 spokes and Rigida Grizzly rims. (These are very light but very strong).
The bike has V brakes which are simple, easy to repair and replace.
The Thorn frame is Double Butted, Seamless, Heat Treated, Cold Drawn, Cro-mo. which again is light but very strong.

You have plenty of time to find a 2nd hand one but make sure you get the right size for you.
check out the size chart of the Thorn "mega brochure"

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/THORN ... OCHURE.pdf
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Sorry if this is fast turning I to a Thorn fan club page but my vote is for a Thorn Raven.
Not as heavy as the Nomad but can carry almost as much IMO.
Rohloff hub adds a grand but complete piece of mind re back end.
I added a chain glider guard so pretty happy with set up for far flung touring.
Off to do the Pamir Highway in May.

Lots of other bikes around but happy with the Thorn.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The Tricross has caused disagreements before :)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=66971&hilit=+Tricross
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have a thorn audax and its a wonderful bike... But given my money again its not the bike I'd buy. Thorns are expensive and you can get equivalent bikes for less or better bikes for the same. Just look at the price of the Spa steel touring bike for example. Having said that you couldn't go wrong with a second hand one if you can find something like a Thorn sherpa that would be pretty ideal.
PH

Post by PH »

from simonhill's exerience, no camping and mostly decent roads, it sounds like your Tricross with better wheels would easily be up to the task. The only downside is the unpopularity of the wheelsize, I'd do some research on it, maybe with a plan to have someone in the UK ready send you parts if needed.
irc

Post by irc »

Phil66 wrote: At the moment I tour on a Specailized Tricross and its lovely and most importantly, it’s very comfortable, but I have a couple of concerns. Firstly, will I get up all those hills on it and secondly, are the wheels strong enough to spend a long time on the dirt tracks. I’ve suffered a lot in the past with broken spokes and this time want to make sure the wheels/bike are bomb proof.I

If it's comfortable and you'll be going relatively light just replace the wheels with a handbuilt set from Spa (or other good wheelbuilder). Broken spokes a thing of the past.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

You have 3 options I think:

* - you can buy a <£500 urban mtb with rigid fork and be bombproof, and heavy, or . . . . .

* - new wheels (and drivetrain even) for the tri and some lighter camping / travel gear, an option which is in budget and makes the hill climbing you mention easier, or . . . . .

* - double your budget for a new bike sold as bespoke tourer.

Been a while since I checked thorn prices but you mentioned not wanting to spend anything like £1000.
Last edited by Graham on 4 Jan 2015, 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting me removed - as it seemed disconnected from the rest of the post